New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Old May 21st 08, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
clifto

Default New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Hachiroku wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 23:36:48 -0500, Ray O wrote:
>> The trick to keeping the oil from spilling down your arm is to press on the
>> drain plug while you are unscrewing it. When it is completely unscrewed,
>> quickly pull the plug off. You shouldn't get more than a few drips on your
>> fingers this way.

> Latex or Nitrile gloves work well...

Sez you. I still get it all down my arm, then back up the glove when I
pull the arm out from under the car.

--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you're not supposed to know this.
Old May 21st 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
clifto

Default Oil Extractors

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
> "Mark A" > wrote...
>> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote...
>>> How long does it take to extract 4 qts of oil with one of those
>>> extractors?

>> Abut 5 minutes.

> Hmm, that is a lot faster than removing all of the bolts from the
> transmission oil pan in the Escort, which does not have a drain.

I wonder if the transmission in the Escort holds more than 4 qts, though.

Old May 21st 08, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Pszemol

> wrote in message ...
> Does anyone have recommendations changing the oil FILTER without
> the oil dripping all over the place? Should I change it LAST, when
> the car has cooled down a bit? Or is there a better way?

Is the filter in '99 located in the front sticking up on an angle?
It is like this in my '95. So the oil filter drains itself...
Yes, the filter is the last item I remove before refilling the engine.

Remove the drain plug first and go back home for a coffe break :-)
When you come back the oil will be gone from the engine and filter.

If you are really concerned with a single drop of oil you can
always put some paper towel right under the filter and tilt
the filter with its hole up very fast when you unscrew it.
Old May 21st 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
badgolferman

, 5/21/2008,1:32:53 PM, wrote:

> On May 21, 10:00 am, "badgolferman" >
> wrote:
> > SMS, 5/21/2008,12:49:19 PM, wrote:
> > > If you're into recreational oil changing (3000 mile oil changes)
> > > then the 3rd generation (1992-96) Camry is ideal. I haven't
> > > looked at the 4th (1997-2001)

> > My 1997 is just as easy as the 1994 I had to change oil.

> Ditto that. I just changed my wife's oil ('99) last week.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations changing the oil FILTER without
> the oil dripping all over the place? Should I change it LAST, when
> the car has cooled down a bit? Or is there a better way?
>
> Michael

This is the way I do it:
1. Drive up onto ramps.
2. Put drain pan below drain.
3. Open oil filler on top of engine and remove dipstick. (This allows
air to replace oil and oil pours out easier.
4. Open drain plug and let oil drain for 15-20 minutes.
5. Stuff rags below oil filter and adjust oil pan below filter to catch
residual oil as filter is removed.
6. Wipe up any spills and put new oil filter back on after wiping
gasket with a bit of oil.
7. Replace oil plug and dipstick then pour new oil into engine.
8. Fire up car long enough to drive off ramps.
9. Put everything away and check oil level before driving vehicle.
Old May 22nd 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
mack

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> [...]
> . ..
>>> I own 1995 camry with 4-cyl engine and there is no need to rise vehicle
>>> for this job. The oil pan fits under the car with plenty of room for
>>> your hand to remove the drain plug. I loosen it with a wrench then
>>> put the pan underneath and complete remove the plug.
>>> The oil filter is right there looking at you when you open the hood.
>>> Very easy to do and rising vehicle would add unnecesary hassle to the
>>> job.

>> I don't know how you can get far enough under the car to unscrew the
>> drain plug, unless your arms are about five feet long....and the oil
>> receptacle must be pretty shallow to fit underneath the car.

> Well, I can asure you that my arms are not five feet long and I can do it
> :-)
> Oil pan is right behind the car radiator in the front. The drain plug is
> in the 2/3 to the back of the oil pan. Really no problem to feel it
> with your extended hand when you lay on your back on the floor/creeper...
>
> My oil receptacle is a very simple, standard oil pan like this one:
> http://www.jmtools.cn/images/oil_drain_pan1.jpg.jpg
>
>> Another reason for not changing your own oil is that, unless you want to
>> pour a gallon of used oil on your back yard, just taking the used oil
>> back to an auto parts store to a recycling vat will cost you at least a
>> half gallon of gas for the round trip, which at today's gasoline price
>> will add another two bucks to your total expense.

> Good point, but you should not have to make a separate trip to do this!
>
> In my case, the closest place I can return used oil for recycling
> is Pep Boys. It is located at the street mall together with Sam's Club,
> Walmart, Kohls, Target, Office Max, Petco, my Bank and several
> other stores. I just pour oil back into the bottles and put it
> into the trunk. Next time I go to any of these stores I drop the
> oil at the Pep Boys at no additional cost or fuel wasted.
>
> Find a similarly located place for your oil recycle needs.
>
> Please note also, that saving money is not the main reason
> for doing oil changes yourself. In my case I do it for convenience
> (I can do it any time, even Sunday when all stores are closed)
> and to be sure it is done right. I know what oil I used, I know what
> level is there after the job (how often do they overfill the car?) and
> that my plug is not cross-threaded. My friend got recently a dispute
> with a store where they cross-threaded his drain plug and he had
> to get a new oil pan and pay for labor for exchanging it. There was
> no way to prove who did it unless you pay $$$ for attorney...
> I had a similar case when I got tempted with low price tire rotation.
> I got a coupon for $9.99 job and I got lazy - next time I got a flat
> tire it turned out TWO studs where cross-threaded and I had to
> tow the vehicle. This turned out to be a very expensive tire-rotation job!
> Never again I would get tempted - lesson learned the hard way.

Very true! A friend of mine some years ago had a brand new Hyundai Accent
that he used for work, and after his first oil change, on the freeway on the
way to work noticed his oil pressure light go on. He stopped, found there
was no oil on his dipstick, and so walked to an auto parts store for another
gallon of oil. As he poured it in, he began to notice that his feet were
in a pool of ....clean oil. Yep, the drain plug had vibrated out, and all
t he oil he poured in came promptly out.
It ended up that he got a new engine out of the dealer for their mistake.
He was lucky.

>> As for getting suckered into changing other fluids at an oil change
>> place, I find that it's very effective to simply smile at the mechanic
>> who offers these services and use the time-honored phrase "No, thanks."

> Agree.
> The most common upsale item is the air filter, also easy to do yourself.

Yes, and there again, I simply say "thanks, but I have a replacement at
home, thanks for mentioning it."

Old May 22nd 08, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> The catch with them is that they were designed so that the extractor can
> be used. Take a look at the interior of the pan when you have one off.
> They designed in a pocket for the extractor tube to enter so it gets to
> the bottom of the pan. Most other makers don't do that. They have oil
> baffles in the way that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom
> of the pan.
>
> --
> Steve W.

I am not sure that all cars besides Mercedes/BMW have baffles in the way
that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom of the pan. I had
success with my 98 Camry the few times I tried it. But it may take some
trial and error moving the tube around to get it all out.

Old May 22nd 08, 04:18 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"clifto" > wrote in message
> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
>> "Mark A" > wrote...
>>> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote...
>>>
>>> Abut 5 minutes.

>> Hmm, that is a lot faster than removing all of the bolts from the
>> transmission oil pan in the Escort, which does not have a drain.

> I wonder if the transmission in the Escort holds more than 4 qts, though.

I'm not sure about the entire transmission, but it only took about 3 quarts
to refill the pan.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old May 22nd 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Pszemol wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have recommendations changing the oil FILTER without
>> the oil dripping all over the place? Should I change it LAST, when
>> the car has cooled down a bit? Or is there a better way?

> Is the filter in '99 located in the front sticking up on an angle?
> It is like this in my '95. So the oil filter drains itself...
> Yes, the filter is the last item I remove before refilling the engine.
>
> Remove the drain plug first and go back home for a coffe break :-)
> When you come back the oil will be gone from the engine and filter.
>
> If you are really concerned with a single drop of oil you can
> always put some paper towel right under the filter and tilt
> the filter with its hole up very fast when you unscrew it.

I use the box from the new filter to put the old filter into. A couple
of drops of oil is absorbed by the cardboard. The garbage company wants
the oil filter in a plastic bag, and the oil needs to be in a container
with a cap that is secured by tape, or that has a screw top (some milk
bottles have a snap on cap).
Old May 22nd 08, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Pszemol

"Mark A" > wrote in message news
> "Steve W." > wrote in message
>> The catch with them is that they were designed so that the extractor can
>> be used. Take a look at the interior of the pan when you have one off.
>> They designed in a pocket for the extractor tube to enter so it gets to
>> the bottom of the pan. Most other makers don't do that. They have oil
>> baffles in the way that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom
>> of the pan.

> I am not sure that all cars besides Mercedes/BMW have baffles in the way
> that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom of the pan. I had
> success with my 98 Camry the few times I tried it. But it may take some
> trial and error moving the tube around to get it all out.

How will you know you have it all the way in?
How will you know you sucked all oil out?
Old May 22nd 08, 01:39 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

clifto wrote:

> Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
> KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you're not supposed to know this.

I know Robert Byrd isn't a racist any more because my racist ex-KKK
uncle (ex only because he married a woman who hates the KKK) hates
Byrd and calls him a race traitor.

NEW CLUB! Velocity Corvette Club - Houston, TX [email protected] Corvette 1 August 20th 06 09:26 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Sig Change SteveH Alfa Romeo 1 May 23rd 05 09:39 PM
Change over Basile1 Technology 4 January 10th 05 11:03 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM