Mufflers.

Old April 11th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Mufflers.

For many years, I have thought about buying something like a glass pack
muffler, or whatever kind of muffler for what I might consider to sound
''better'' (probally this doesn't make much sense)
I have owned many old cars before and quite a few old trucks and old
vans.My current driver vehicle is my 1978 Dodge (I think it is a B200
Tradesman van, I would have to step out and look) van, 318 V8, automatic
transmission.The van still runs nice and quiet, but that old muffler I
bought and put on there myself somewhere around 1992 is bound to need to
be replaced with a new one, I think.I am interested in buying a muffler
that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
cuhulin

Old April 11th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Apr 11, 12:12 pm, wrote:
> For many years, I have thought about buying something like a glass pack
> muffler, or whatever kind of muffler for what I might consider to sound
> ''better'' (probally this doesn't make much sense)
> I have owned many old cars before and quite a few old trucks and old
> vans.My current driver vehicle is my 1978 Dodge (I think it is a B200
> Tradesman van, I would have to step out and look) van, 318 V8, automatic
> transmission.The van still runs nice and quiet, but that old muffler I
> bought and put on there myself somewhere around 1992 is bound to need to
> be replaced with a new one, I think.I am interested in buying a muffler
> that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
> old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
> cuhulin

The most annoying sound would probably be to plumb the whole thing
with no muffler, but with a glasspack at the very end.

Should BLAT nicely.

(don't know why, but I must dislike your neighbors site unseen)

Dave
Old April 11th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I dont want to put a muffler on my van that is annoying.Only something
with a little pizzzahs.Doesn't J.C.Whitney sell some snazzy glasspacks?
WebTV doesn't work so good for J.C.Whitney's website anymore.I need to
find their toll free phone number and get a new catalog.
cuhulin

Old April 11th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
..I am interested in buying a muffler
> that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
> old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
> cuhulin

I know what you mean, but you wont get that sound out of an American V8.

Old April 11th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 11, 2:45*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> .I am interested in buying a muffler
>
> > that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
> > old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
> > cuhulin

> I know what you mean, but you wont get that sound out of an American V8.

Well, you can if you kick the compression up to about 10.5:1 and then
put a lumpy cam in it - will make a nice aggressive snap when you get
on it. Unfortuantely, that kind of engine wouldn't be very useful in
a cargo van

nate
Old April 11th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

N8N wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2:45*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> .I am interested in buying a muffler
>>
>> > that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
>> > old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
>> > cuhulin

>> I know what you mean, but you wont get that sound out of an American V8.

> Well, you can if you kick the compression up to about 10.5:1 and then
> put a lumpy cam in it - will make a nice aggressive snap when you get
> on it. Unfortuantely, that kind of engine wouldn't be very useful in
> a cargo van

Wouldn't it also require fuel injection?

--
"Theoretically, there is nothing that can stop the government from taxing 100%
of income so long as the people get benefits from the government commensurate
Old April 11th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 11, 4:05*pm, clifto > wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> >> .I am interested in buying a muffler

> >> I know what you mean, but you wont get that sound out of an American V8..

> > Well, you can if you kick the compression up to about 10.5:1 and then
> > put a lumpy cam in it - will make a nice aggressive snap when you get
> > on it. *Unfortuantely, that kind of engine wouldn't be very useful in
> > a cargo van

> Wouldn't it also require fuel injection?

Either that or just run race fuel, your choice Aluminum heads
might help some but you'd still have to run super premium.

nate
Old April 11th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, N8N wrote:
>On Apr 11, 2:45*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> .I am interested in buying a muffler
>>
>> > that will put out a nice sassy brassy sound, sort of like some of those
>> > old British cars.Any suggestions, please?
>> > cuhulin

>> I know what you mean, but you wont get that sound out of an American V8.

>Well, you can if you kick the compression up to about 10.5:1 and then
>put a lumpy cam in it - will make a nice aggressive snap when you get
>on it. Unfortuantely, that kind of engine wouldn't be very useful in
>a cargo van

Get a load of this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179772@N05/2405545045/

Old April 11th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Fuel injection? Not for me! I drive about 240 something miles each
year.It would be cheaper for me to park my old van and call a taxi when
I need to go somewhere.But, I am stuborn, I am not ready to give up
driving yet.

Maybe I will ''experement'' with some tin cans I can clamp onto the tail
pipe of my van.Maybe a Bull Horn from J.C.Whitney to razzle them gals.
cuhulin

Old April 11th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Do you know J.C.Whitney's toll free number? I want to buy a Bull Horn
for my van.
cuhulin

Mufflers 5.0 harry Ford Mustang 9 May 29th 07 11:20 PM
looking for mufflers Private Corvette 0 May 13th 07 08:59 PM
Mufflers for 87-93 5.0 Randy Pavatte Ford Mustang 8 August 15th 06 06:44 PM
What Mufflers? GT's GT Ford Mustang 6 July 5th 05 09:43 PM
Mufflers MikeG Ford Mustang 5 December 5th 04 01:11 PM