IPC wiring harness connector for 1988 Toronado?

Old March 17th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default IPC wiring harness connector for 1988 Toronado?

Hello,

Previously I'd had a discussion here about problems with my digital
instrument cluster intermittently going out. I've discovered that I'm
not getting a good connection in the connector that the IPC plugs in
to in the dash. What I'd like to do is find a junk Toronado and clip
off that connector (and pigtail of wires for reference), and replace
the connector on my Toro.

I've called a few local salvage yards, and have not found any 1988
Toronados there. I have noticed that the IPC connector didn't change
from 1986-1989, so perhaps any of those years would work. The closest
I came was one place with a 1981 or 1982, but we didn't know if that
would work at all.

I'm not looking for the whole harness...I just need that connector
that mounts in the back of the IPC location. Any ideas? Anyone have
one to sell? Am I in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance!!
Old March 18th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mar 17, 7:57*pm, Paul > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello,

> > Previously I'd had a discussion here about problems with my digital
> > instrument cluster intermittently going out. *I've discovered that I'm
> > not getting a good connection in the connector that the IPC plugs in
> > to in the dash. *What I'd like to do is find a junkToronadoand clip
> > off that connector (and pigtail of wires for reference), and replace
> > the connector on my Toro.

> > I've called a few local salvage yards, and have not found any 1988
> > Toronados there. *I have noticed that the IPC connector didn't change
> > from 1986-1989, so perhaps any of those years would work. *The closest
> > I came was one place with a 1981 or 1982, but we didn't know if that
> > would work at all.

> > I'm not looking for the whole harness...I just need that connector
> > that mounts in the back of the IPC location. *Any ideas? *Anyone have
> > one to sell? *Am I in the wrong place?

> > Thanks in advance!!

> Why not fix the old one?

Any ideas how? I popped it out of the back of the IPC location and
saw a clip on the back of it that looked like all the wires would fall
out if I pulled it off. A buddy of mine at work helped me probe
the connections for power and some of them were pushing back in the
connector or were otherwise moving around. We believe that is causing
the power to drop out on my IPC.

I envisioned getting a replacement with a pigtail of wires, then
soldering longer wires to that pigtail, then undoing my existing
connector and soldering those wires to my extended ones. That way I
would not screw up the wire locations, and would have enough wire
length to pull everything out to work with it if I need to.

How can we fix the connector? I'm open to viable ideas. And, I know
the problem is not with the IPC, as I have tried two other known
working units and had the same intermittent issue.

Thanks!!
Old March 18th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

wrote:
> How can we fix the connector? I'm open to viable ideas. And, I know
> the problem is not with the IPC, as I have tried two other known
> working units and had the same intermittent issue.

Try DeOxit.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...kw=deoxit&sr=1

--
Iran tells us what the mainstream media won't:
"A new opinion poll suggests that over 54 percent of Americans do not trust
Old March 18th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mar 18, 2:28 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > How can we fix the connector? I'm open to viable ideas. And, I know
> > the problem is not with the IPC, as I have tried two other known
> > working units and had the same intermittent issue.

> > Thanks!!

> The sockets and pins on the connectors have a small tab on the back of
> them usually that can be pushed in with a needle mini screwdriver or a
> special tool, usually really expensive, so they can be pulled out. They
> then can be replaced or reshaped and reinserted. Electronic shops can
> get these pins and tools. The plug should have a name or symbol on it.
>
> If the pins are square or rectangle, you also can carefully twist each
> pin slightly so it grabs the socket at an angle. This can tighten them
> up nicely sometimes.
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

I have worked with electronic shops in the past, so I might be able to
look this connector up, but I'm sure it's super-proprietary.

It's a weird thing...there are four female columns, but only the
middle two mate to anything on the IPC. But...the outer columns have
part of the metal contact visible in them, and you can move the metal
around and affect the actual contact in the middle column. It's not
at all appearing to be like a Molex contact, for instance.

I figured that if I had a second connector and all the pins that I
could tweak them to make them tighter and lined up better than I can
digging around with 1/2" of wire in my dash area. For that matter, I
could wire the thing up however I want with normal connectors I
suppose...I've had a good deal of experience soldering.

My fear is that I would open the clip to look at the connector and all
the wires would fall out. Yes, I could take a picture, but you
can't totally turn the connector around because there isn't enough
wire, so I don't know if I'd get a decent enough photo. And the
Haynes manual isn't much help with wire position in the connector.

clifto: Now that you mention it, I have tried some cleaner on the IPC,
but I don't know that I ever shot the connector with it. I'll pull
the battery fuse and try it.
Old March 19th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_21_]

wrote:
> On Mar 17, 7:57 pm, Paul > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Previously I'd had a discussion here about problems with my digital
>>> instrument cluster intermittently going out. I've discovered that I'm
>>> not getting a good connection in the connector that the IPC plugs in
>>> to in the dash. What I'd like to do is find a junkToronadoand clip
>>> off that connector (and pigtail of wires for reference), and replace
>>> the connector on my Toro.
>>> I've called a few local salvage yards, and have not found any 1988
>>> Toronados there. I have noticed that the IPC connector didn't change
>>> from 1986-1989, so perhaps any of those years would work. The closest
>>> I came was one place with a 1981 or 1982, but we didn't know if that
>>> would work at all.
>>> I'm not looking for the whole harness...I just need that connector
>>> that mounts in the back of the IPC location. Any ideas? Anyone have
>>> one to sell? Am I in the wrong place?
>>> Thanks in advance!!

>> Why not fix the old one?

> Any ideas how? I popped it out of the back of the IPC location and
> saw a clip on the back of it that looked like all the wires would fall
> out if I pulled it off. A buddy of mine at work helped me probe
> the connections for power and some of them were pushing back in the
> connector or were otherwise moving around. We believe that is causing
> the power to drop out on my IPC.
>
> I envisioned getting a replacement with a pigtail of wires, then
> soldering longer wires to that pigtail, then undoing my existing
> connector and soldering those wires to my extended ones. That way I
> would not screw up the wire locations, and would have enough wire
> length to pull everything out to work with it if I need to.
>
> How can we fix the connector? I'm open to viable ideas. And, I know
> the problem is not with the IPC, as I have tried two other known
> working units and had the same intermittent issue.
>
> Thanks!!

I can understand about wanting longer IPC wires. That would be great.
But..
I usually make a paper drawing of connectors and such and label
according to color code.
Then take it apart, clean and rebend the contacts, and put back together.
Normally the wires are fairly loose in those connectors.
Old March 19th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mar 18, 10:24 pm, Paul > wrote:
> wrote:
> >> Why not fix the old one?

> > Any ideas how? I popped it out of the back of the IPC location and
> > saw a clip on the back of it that looked like all the wires would fall
> > out if I pulled it off. A buddy of mine at work helped me probe
> > the connections for power and some of them were pushing back in the
> > connector or were otherwise moving around. We believe that is causing
> > the power to drop out on my IPC.

> > I envisioned getting a replacement with a pigtail of wires, then
> > soldering longer wires to that pigtail, then undoing my existing
> > connector and soldering those wires to my extended ones. That way I
> > would not screw up the wire locations, and would have enough wire
> > length to pull everything out to work with it if I need to.

> > How can we fix the connector? I'm open to viable ideas. And, I know
> > the problem is not with the IPC, as I have tried two other known
> > working units and had the same intermittent issue.

> > Thanks!!

> I can understand about wanting longer IPC wires. That would be great.
> But..
> I usually make a paper drawing of connectors and such and label
> according to color code.
> Then take it apart, clean and rebend the contacts, and put back together.
> Normally the wires are fairly loose in those connectors.

It sounds as though you have had this same issue...is that a fair
assumption? I suppose I should at least try making such a drawing and
taking it apart. The issue, after all, isn't that the connector
itself is damaged, but that the various electrical signals are not
making it from the contacts to the pins. So, rebending them and
cleaning them would be a logical step. (I'll have to try and take
care that they don't spring out and fall back into the hole the
harness pokes in through! *gasp*)

Thanks, everyone, for some good fresh thoughts!
Old March 19th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

clifto > wrote:
wrote:
>> clifto: Now that you mention it, I have tried some cleaner on the IPC,
>> but I don't know that I ever shot the connector with it. I'll pull
>> the battery fuse and try it.

>Don't bother with just any old cleaner. Go straight for the DeOxit. I have
>even forsaken my treasured remaining cans of trichloroethane in favor of
>this stuff.

DeOxit isn't just a cleaner, it's also a reducing agent which removes
contact corrosion. I believe it is an adaptation of the old Cramolin
formula, which was oleic acid, Sudan red, and a solvent.

Don't get rid of the TCE! It's still very useful stuff when you need a
cleaner, but it isn't a good thing for electrical contacts because it does
not remove corrosion.

Note that if the connector is worn to the point where the plating is damaged,
anything you do will have only a temporary effect. You can increase the
pressure by bending the pins and you can clean the crud off with DeOxit, but
a few months later it will fail again. There should be no reason for auto
connectors to get plating damage since they are very infrequently plugged
and unplugged, but it can happen sometimes.
--scott

wiring harness (need help) T.E.O. Jeep 3 November 21st 07 08:04 AM
wiring harness (need help) L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_8693_] Auto Photos 0 November 21st 07 08:04 AM
Wiring Harness Help Spdloader Jeep 5 January 16th 07 03:11 PM
wiring harness for a '61 FC-170 designo Jeep 3 August 31st 05 05:18 PM
Short in wiring harness help?? Mike Muderick Chrysler 2 March 2nd 05 09:16 AM