'93 SC2 - high HCs >:(

Old June 30th 04, 02:27 PM
Philip Nasadowski

Default '93 SC2 - high HCs >:(

Well, it just about passed the test this year, the HC's were high - .66
Vs the .80 limit. The NOx and Co were low, less than 30% of the limit.

It's got a recent cat, new injectors, and the motor was reringed a few
months ago.

Mileage is generally horrid on the thing - low 20's in town, mid 30's on
the highway.

No trouble codes, naturally...

I'm stuck here, guys. My only two guesses are the ever popular O2
sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. The mechanic claims
the EGR valve might be messed up, but I thought that was an NOx thing,.

So, am I at least somewhere on the right track fingering the EFI, or am
I totally lost here?

Oh yeah, the plugs are a bit old - time for new ones?
Old July 1st 04, 03:29 PM
Oppie

Re-ringed is good. I assume that you also had the cylinder bores honed and
the valve stem seals replaced. both will cause higher HC from oil burning if
not done.
Look also at these:
PCV valve ?
EGR flowing too much
O2 sensor
fuel pressure
ignition timing
MAP sensor
Throttle sensor

Otherwise I haven't a clue
Oppie

"Philip Nasadowski" > wrote in message
> Well, it just about passed the test this year, the HC's were high - .66
> Vs the .80 limit. The NOx and Co were low, less than 30% of the limit.
>
> It's got a recent cat, new injectors, and the motor was reringed a few
> months ago.
>
> Mileage is generally horrid on the thing - low 20's in town, mid 30's on
> the highway.
>
> No trouble codes, naturally...
>
> I'm stuck here, guys. My only two guesses are the ever popular O2
> sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. The mechanic claims
> the EGR valve might be messed up, but I thought that was an NOx thing,.
>
> So, am I at least somewhere on the right track fingering the EFI, or am
> I totally lost here?
>
> Oh yeah, the plugs are a bit old - time for new ones?

High temperature clearcoat? John Burns BMW 1 November 13th 04 01:42 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
Cold Idle high Oliver Gunnell Audi 5 November 5th 04 02:14 AM
High idle revs in cold weather zippy 4x4 0 January 23rd 04 08:32 PM