Suburban no 4wd 4x4 fixed

Old February 20th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default Suburban no 4wd 4x4 fixed

Was helping my brother in law with his newly acquired 95 GMC suburban
4x4. No 4wd lights on the floor shift, no front axle engagement.
was blowing the 4wd fuse.

Did some research on the interest and found these units have some
thermally engaged front actuator on the front drive axle that is
problematic.

Got under the truck and inspected the unit (about the size of a larger
O2 sensor) The lead wires into the sensor where literally melted
together (that explains the fuses blowing) and the wires were loose and
pulled out of the actuator.

New ones were $70+. Went down to the Upull yard to see if we could get
lucky. went through 6 trucks or so, all had the actuator pulled, or
was the wrong one. Truck 7 we got lucky.

Put it in, and the fuse does not blow. Lights on the floor shift
light, and the 4wd works now. Got real lucky on that one.

I found there is a update kit for these that uses a newer actuator
that is more reliable. It was a lot more money and requires
a wire harness modification. Since he is not going to keep the truck
long, we decided NOT to go that route

bob

4x4 not engaging fixed it deafone 4x4 0 November 18th 06 06:23 PM
1987 Suburban 4WD Problem(s) Joe[_13_] Technology 6 November 8th 06 10:19 PM
1999 Explorer 4X4 AWD staying in 4WD Deidra Ford Explorer 0 December 23rd 04 01:49 PM
Buying 4X4, and trying to understand 4wd terms and types, advice requested. Paul Rooney 4x4 11 October 13th 04 04:31 PM
Buying 4X4, and trying to understand 4wd terms and types, advicerequested. Lon 4x4 4 October 5th 04 07:16 PM