[e39] OEM brake rotor life expectancy?

Old December 17th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

Default [e39] OEM brake rotor life expectancy?

I'm at 44k miles on my 530i. Brake warning came on. The shop is telling me
I need pads (that's a given), but also new front rotors. There is a visible
groove on the edge of the rotor, so I know they're not lying. They must be
very close to being done even if not totally done just yet. They'd probably
not make it through the next set of pads.

I know brake wear is very conditions-dependent, but assuming one does fairly
decent amount of city-type driving with good amount of stop and go (many
traffic lights), is it normal for the OEM rotors to be done in 44k miles?

I'm not complaining by any means. Just curious what your experience has
been.

Thanks,
Pete

Old December 17th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

Pete wrote:
> I'm at 44k miles on my 530i. Brake warning came on. The shop is telling me
> I need pads (that's a given), but also new front rotors. There is a visible
> groove on the edge of the rotor, so I know they're not lying. They must be
> very close to being done even if not totally done just yet. They'd probably
> not make it through the next set of pads.
>
> I know brake wear is very conditions-dependent, but assuming one does fairly
> decent amount of city-type driving with good amount of stop and go (many
> traffic lights), is it normal for the OEM rotors to be done in 44k miles?
>
> I'm not complaining by any means. Just curious what your experience has
> been.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Mine has been every 40-45k miles, my E39 needs pads and rotors. Since
the rotors are relatively inexpensive it's not a big deal. You
generally can get by with two sets of pads for one set of rear rotors.
Usually. Not always.

BMW does not recommend turning rotors.
Old December 17th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Pete > wrote:
> I'm at 44k miles on my 530i. Brake warning came on. The shop is
> telling me I need pads (that's a given), but also new front rotors.
> There is a visible groove on the edge of the rotor, so I know they're
> not lying. They must be very close to being done even if not totally
> done just yet. They'd probably not make it through the next set of
> pads.

> I know brake wear is very conditions-dependent, but assuming one does
> fairly decent amount of city-type driving with good amount of stop and
> go (many traffic lights), is it normal for the OEM rotors to be done in
> 44k miles?

> I'm not complaining by any means. Just curious what your experience has
> been.

Sounds about normal. Rather better than I get. ;-)

Luckily the discs are cheap and very easy to change at the same time as
the pads.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 17th 07, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
> Luckily the discs are cheap and very easy to change at the same time as
> the pads.

Are any special tools required? Honestly, I don't have any tools.

When I looked on line, I could get the parts for about $340 (OEM discs,
pads, sensor). At the same time, my local indy shop wants $500 for parts
(OEM) and labor.

Pete

Old December 17th 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_1_]

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
>> Luckily the discs are cheap and very easy to change at the same time as
>> the pads.

> Are any special tools required? Honestly, I don't have any tools.
>
> When I looked on line, I could get the parts for about $340 (OEM discs,
> pads, sensor). At the same time, my local indy shop wants $500 for parts
> (OEM) and labor.
>
> Pete

You will eventually need an entire set of metric box wrenches.
You will eventually need an entire set of metric sockets etc.
You will need a set of jack stands. It is extremely dangerous to get under
a car or tug on recalcitrant wheels if the car is not mounted on the stands.
And, it would not hurt to have the Bentley manual handy.
Jim

Old December 17th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Pete" > wrote:

> When I looked on line, I could get the parts for about $340 (OEM discs,
> pads, sensor). At the same time, my local indy shop wants $500 for parts
> (OEM) and labor.

Try RockAuto for your parts. $238 total as follows:
Axxis Organic pads (FR) $40, Axxis Organic pads (RR) $30
Brembo Rotors (FR) $42ea=$84, Brembo Rotors (RR) $37ea=$74
Didn't price sensors.

Old December 17th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ali[_3_]

Are you nuts? Tell me, if you had a problem with your gas main,
electricity, etc. would you repair it yourself without knowing what the hell
you are you are doing?

Sorry, you hit a soft spot. You should NOT be working on your brakes when
you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

Old December 17th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guy(c)

Default OEM brake rotor life expectancy?

On Dec 17, 3:59 pm, "Ali" > wrote:
> Are you nuts? Tell me, if you had a problem with your gas main,
> electricity, etc. would you repair it yourself without knowing what the hell
> you are you are doing?
>
> Sorry, you hit a soft spot. You should NOT be working on your brakes when
> you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

I am a moderate fumblethumbs and even I can assure you that brakes are
easy to change. Are you saying that a motivated DIY'er shouldn't
learn?

FWIW, almost all of the things that can go wrong with a brake job will
either produce a horrible noise or keep a wheel from turning. Either
one is a sign to take it apart again to do it right. Frankly, the
most dangerous part about doing a brake job is forgetting to torque
your wheel bolts. DAMHIK.

Given that Pete can buy all the tools he needs to do this job for the
money he'll save on parts alone, I think he should make that
investment. Once he gets a gander at those tools sitting idle between
brake jobs, maybe he'll do something more productive - like taking out
the transmission. =8^O
--
C.R. Krieger
Been there; learned that
Old December 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Ali" > wrote
> Are you nuts? Tell me, if you had a problem with your gas main,
> electricity, etc. would you repair it yourself without knowing what the
> hell you are you are doing?
>
> Sorry, you hit a soft spot. You should NOT be working on your brakes when
> you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

There are enough DIY articles on the net on the subject so that I know what
I'd be doing. It's just a matter of having the right tools and willing to
spend some time with the car and get your hands dirty.

I replaced the final stage unit, spark plugs, installed an iPod integration
kit, among other things on this car. All by using DIY articles on the net.

I'm a bit on the fence about the brakes... my shop's labor rates are a bit
steep, but on the other hand, I don't really have the time to play with it
on my own, so I think I'll let the show do it.

Pete

Old December 17th 07, 10:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Bob Smitter" wrote
> Try RockAuto for your parts. $238 total as follows:
> Axxis Organic pads (FR) $40, Axxis Organic pads (RR) $30
> Brembo Rotors (FR) $42ea=$84, Brembo Rotors (RR) $37ea=$74
> Didn't price sensors.

Good prices. Thanks.

Although I think you may be looking at a different car. It shows the brembo
front rotors for my car are $84 each. The OEM rotors are $113.

All in all, I'm not saving much on parts by getting them on-line vs. my
shop. It's the labor charge that I'd have to swallow.

Pete