'11 Mustang GT clunk heard/felt in steering

Old December 6th 13, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ken H

Default '11 Mustang GT clunk heard/felt in steering

I have a 2011 Mustang GT and when I pull into or out of a parking space with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right (the wheel is locked), I hear and feel a muffled "clunk" coming from the front of the car...like something is rubbing up there. This has always been there (I've just learned to not lock the wheel to the right like that).

What is this? Is this something to worry about? The steering is fine otherwise -- no shimmies, shakes, alignment is good, no noise, or spots on the ground up front.

Ken
Old December 16th 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 08:21:11 -0800 (PST), Ken H >
wrote:

>I have a 2011 Mustang GT and when I pull into or out of a parking space with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right (the wheel is locked), I hear and feel a muffled "clunk" coming from the front of the car...like something is rubbing up there. This has always been there (I've just learned to not lock the wheel to the right like that).
>
>What is this? Is this something to worry about? The steering is fine otherwise -- no shimmies, shakes, alignment is good, no noise, or spots on the ground up front.
>
>Ken

I would think it's just that when it turned "all the way to lock" you
have forcing the metal "stops" into contact and any movement up and
down of the suspension is going to make them rub and make noise of
some kind.
Old December 19th 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Tater[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:12:22 -0500, Sarah Ehrett >
wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 08:21:11 -0800 (PST), Ken H > wrote:
>
>>I have a 2011 Mustang GT and when I pull into or out of a parking space with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right (the wheel is locked), I hear and feel a muffled "clunk" coming from the front of the car...like something is rubbing up there. This has always been there (I've just learned to not lock the wheel to the right like that).
>>
>>What is this? Is this something to worry about? The steering is fine otherwise -- no shimmies, shakes, alignment is good, no noise, or spots on the ground up front.
>>
>>Ken

>First and easiest thing to do is check your power steering fluid especially
>if when you turn the wheel you get some resistance and a squealing noise.
>Then my guess would be a ball joint problem.
>

>--------
>
>GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

The 2011 has electric power assisted steering. No fluid to check.

1996 XJ Clunk, Clunk, Clunk bw-fl Jeep 9 November 16th 09 02:32 AM
Clunk in steering [email protected] Technology 4 July 18th 06 06:15 AM
2004 Mustang V6 Convertible Steering noise/clunk? [email protected] Ford Mustang 7 April 25th 06 09:20 PM
Steering "clunk" Chris S Alfa Romeo 0 February 2nd 05 10:36 AM