jumping out of gear

Old March 20th 12, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default jumping out of gear

New (to me), 2009 159 1.9 jtdm 16v sw.

Jumps out of 2nd when trundling up to junctions/roundabouts. Other gears OK.

Still under warranty for a year from the garage I bought it from last week,
so not really a big problem, but any ideas from the experts in here before I
take it in.

Another point - ties in with what Jim said last week: I seem to be getting
around 40mph from it - is this right? From a 1.9 diesel? No more cost
effective than my 9 year old 156 petrol 2.0 JTS.

GT

Old March 21st 12, 01:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Gt spoke:
> Another point - ties in with what Jim said last week: I seem to be getting
> around 40mph from it - is this right? From a 1.9 diesel? No more cost
> effective than my 9 year old 156 petrol 2.0 JTS.

No, it should deffo be faster than that! ;^)

My 156 1.9jtd gives about 10 miles per litre.

On a related note - mine was vibrating at between 60 & 70mph.
It needed a couple of tyres, (front right & rear left) so got 2 new ones -
onto the front, the vibration still there but shifted up to 65 - 75mph
Took it back and had the tracking and balance checked - both very slightly
out - but the vibes are still there - if a little less severe.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old March 21st 12, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> Gt spoke:
>> Another point - ties in with what Jim said last week: I seem to be
>> getting
>> around 40mph from it - is this right? From a 1.9 diesel? No more cost
>> effective than my 9 year old 156 petrol 2.0 JTS.

> No, it should deffo be faster than that! ;^)

Hmm - perhaps that should have been mpg!

Maybe I meant in 2nd gear - the 2.0JTS did about 65mph in second.

Old March 22nd 12, 08:17 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 21/03/2012 21:50, GT wrote:
> "R C > wrote in message
>> Gt spoke:
>>> Another point - ties in with what Jim said last week: I seem to be
>>> getting
>>> around 40mph from it - is this right? From a 1.9 diesel? No more cost
>>> effective than my 9 year old 156 petrol 2.0 JTS.

>> No, it should deffo be faster than that! ;^)

> Hmm - perhaps that should have been mpg!
>
> Maybe I meant in 2nd gear - the 2.0JTS did about 65mph in second.

I'm afraid that seems about right to me from my experiences. Sorry.

Have you seen how much the tyres are yet?? That used to set my pulse racing!

Jim

--
Order a free SIM via my link and we both get £5 free credit:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/jimandrews
Old March 22nd 12, 08:44 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Jim" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 21/03/2012 21:50, GT wrote:
>> "R C > wrote in message
>>> Gt spoke:
>>>
>>> No, it should deffo be faster than that! ;^)

>> Hmm - perhaps that should have been mpg!
>>
>> Maybe I meant in 2nd gear - the 2.0JTS did about 65mph in second.
>>

> I'm afraid that seems about right to me from my experiences. Sorry.
>
> Have you seen how much the tyres are yet?? That used to set my pulse
> racing!
>
> Jim

Yes - its got ZRs on the rear!! Cheapest I can find online are £68.50 each
(not ZR) for the 225/50/17. My local garage have always been very good for
tyres - about half the price of the fast fit centres so I will probably use
them. I used to get firestones on my 156 for about £55 each from them.

Old May 21st 12, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> Gt spoke:
>> Another point - ties in with what Jim said last week: I seem to be
>> getting
>> around 40mph from it - is this right? From a 1.9 diesel? No more cost
>> effective than my 9 year old 156 petrol 2.0 JTS.

> No, it should deffo be faster than that! ;^)
>
> My 156 1.9jtd gives about 10 miles per litre.
>
> On a related note - mine was vibrating at between 60 & 70mph.
> It needed a couple of tyres, (front right & rear left) so got 2 new ones -
> onto the front, the vibration still there but shifted up to 65 - 75mph
> Took it back and had the tracking and balance checked - both very slightly
> out - but the vibes are still there - if a little less severe.

Going in for a new gearbox on Wednesday - under warranty!!