Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

Old December 2nd 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_3_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

"petergagg" > wrote in message
> On 27/11/2010 07:40, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> iRacing has messed with my definition of "far too expensive" so I am
>> tempted by the
>> idea of buying a PS3 just for GT5 and another Ring experience (among many
>> others).
>> So far I've seen quite a lot of comments but there's a really confusing
>> mixture of
>> "it suxs" and "it feels great!"
>>
>> There do seem to be some people finding the driving experience and FFB
>> with a G25
>> quite satisfying (in some of the cars anyway), which is intriguing. But
>> as there's
>> no other reason for me to buy a PS3 I really need some sense slapping
>> into me.
>>
>> Feel free to slap away. :-)
>>
>> Andrew McP

> As a long time "proper" sim fan (mostly pc racing sims) I am very much
> enjoying GT5 on the PS3.
>
> You have to take it for what it is, eg: a console based racing game, and
> once accepted, simply enjoy what it does.
>
> Graphics are great, the premier car models are simply stunning, watching
> replays is quite literally like watching a replay of a real race. Photo
> realistic (almost) lighting, shadows, details, etc. (10 out of 10)
>
> Audio is also good with each car being sampled and surround sound gives
> good effects.(8/10)
>
> Car handling is perfectly fine considering this is a console game, cars
> rise and fall with acceleration, braking, etc, cars can be slid (power
> slides or pendulum turns when rallying, etc) car physics seem perfectly
> acceptable to me. Different models have different handling to suit.
> Rumbles through the controller help with feedback, but a controller is not
> as realistic as a wheel. (8/10)
>
> NB: I am using the standard PS3 controller with GT5, if racing on my pc I
> would of course be using a wheel and pedals, so that takes something away
> from the experience for me, and no matter how hard I try, my partner
> simply will not allow me to have a cockpit setup in the main lliving room,
> so it has to stay in the study with the pc! Maybe I'll move the PS3 into
> the study at some point.... BTW I've read on-line that using a wheel and
> pedals with GT5 is pretty good.

About the cockpit in living room... Wonder what would happen if you tried
replacing your existing coffe table with this? Maybe she wont notice (lol).
Yeah, I think the price is rediculous, but I could build same out of plain
old plywood I think.

("gentlemen! start your coffee tables!") http://www.converttable.eu/

<snip>

Old December 3rd 10, 07:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
dead-guy-3

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:18:24 +0000, petergagg wrote:

> [...]

> Doesn't seem to affect the cars handling too much? (6/10)
>
> AI are ok, no worse or better than any other racing game / sim I have
> tried (eg; most of them). They do tend to stick to the racing line, they
> can crash into you, they sometimes have crashes amongst them selves.
> They sometimes do stupid things. But hey, thats racing and its also what
> humans do....(7/10)
>
> Car variety is good. The loudly proclaim over 1000 cars, but remember
> that often (eg: Nissan Skyline, etc) can have upwards of 20 different
> models for the same car, so in reality I estimate there are probably
> around a few hundred (which is still very good).Car handling varies with
> each car and there are a huge variety to choose from and once bought (or
> won) they can be tuned with parts, which do affect the handling, you can
> start out with a fairly basic car, and once you have spent some more (in
> game cash) and tuned the car to its max, you can end up with a race
> winning beast. (9/10)
>
> Tracks are good and there is a wide variety (Road, Tracks, Rally,
> Hillclimbs, etc). Oh, and it has the Ring. Track detail is good, with a
> godo feeling of the terrain, land rises and falls, off camber bends,
> etc. Oh, and it has the Ring. Track surfaces also affect handling (which
> is good) Try using a powerful rear wheel car on a dirt track, gravel or
> snow and you will slide a lot, which is as it should be. Oh, and it has
> the Ring. There are old Playstation favourite tracks, and some new ones
> too. Did I mention the Nurburgring? Its awesome....(9/10)
>
> Licenses are still here, which are a good way to learn the different
> techniques, cars handling and tracks. Great for noobs, but also
> challenging for hardcore racers. (8/10)
>
> Races are also good with a nice variety, rallying, time trials, hill
> climbs, road and track races, some short, some long (24 hour anyone?) As
> I mentioned in the AI section, they can make the racing interesting, but
> IMHO are no worse than a lot of other games / sims. (8/10)
>
> Multiplay includes on-line racing (pretty good so far, have only tried
> it a few times and it was fun) and there is also split screen option. (8/10)
>
> Overall I like it. I already had PS3 and I'm not sure I would buy one
> just to play GT5. But if you already have PS3 gt5 is a must have, it is
> the definitive Playstation game. If you are thinking of getting an Xbox
> 360 or a PS3, I'd go for the PS3, it has the built in Blu Ray player
> (great) and on-line play is free, plus I think there are more games to
> choose from on the PS3 (not sure though?).
>
> In closing, as a PS3 game I'd give GT5 around a 9/10). But as a
> simulator I'd give it less (around 8 or possibly 8.5/10)
>
> I know purist sim racers will probably disagree with my views, buts that
> what they are, my views only. I love proper racing sims, but I'm quite
> happy to have a blast on a console game too. Each to their own....

i have my logitech g25 wheel hooked up, andits so good on gt5, just plug it
in, feedback is phenominal, much better than rfactor

the real gt5 dissapointment is the track editor..
Old December 5th 10, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(petergagg) wrote:

> You have to take it for what it is, eg: a console based racing
> game, and once accepted, simply enjoy what it does.

Thanks for your thoughts Peter, and nice to see you still lurking. I thought you'd
given the PC side of things up completely. :-)

> NB: I am using the standard PS3 controller with GT5

I nearly cracked yesterday and hit the buy button on a very good Amazon deal where
you get a 320Gb version for the price of a 120 when buying the GT5 bundle. But if I
do crack the next thing to get cracked will be the PS3 controller. I don't think
I'll ever want to use it for anything other than resale value. :-)

> AI are ok, no worse or better than any other racing game / sim I
> have tried (eg; most of them). They do tend to stick to the
> racing line, they can crash into you

That sounds very much like LFS. I enjoy that sim but stopped because online seems
to be populated by teenagers, and offline I was plagued by that annoying AI... I
was apparently invisible to them. However I suspect GT5 will be updated a bit more
often than LFS has been (recently) so there's hope that things will improve.

Either way, I find curiosity steadily getting the better of me. As with iRacing
content, I often end up buying things just because I get sick of wondering whether
I should buy it or not! Buyer's remorse is sometimes preferable to endless
dithering. And I'm probably overdue for a console experience. I've never had one of
any kind before (not unless the original Pong "console" on a B&W telly counts).

It'd help if ATI would hurry up and release the 69** series. Then I'd know how much
of this year's savings are going to disappear into a new vid card. If I end up
"saving" money and buying a cheap 5870 instead the PS3 will look a lot more
affordable.

> Did I mention the Nurburgring? Its awesome....(9/10)

Mmm.... 'Riiiing.</Homer>

Andrew McP

Old December 7th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DGS[_2_]

On Nov 30, 11:35*am, Tim O > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:32:23 -0000, Peter
>
> That is actually one of the things that led to me burning out on the
> game. Initially, you acquire stuff pretty fast, but it tapers off and
> you have to grind and grind at stuff you've already done to buy the
> expensive cars for other events. Again, thats a completely console-y,
> non simulation type thing.- Hide quoted text -

This is my gripe with GT5 in a nutshell. I come from PC-based sims
like Papyrus' Nascar series and rFactor and having to spend hours
"mastering" a chicane in under a ridiculous time limit just to move on
to the next level in the game or get an unlockable is inexcusable. I
paid for the content...I'd like to enjoy it without having to master
the ridiculously high learning curve of some of the licenses and
special events on GT5. Getting gold on some events is simply near
impossible...and I know what the right line is at Monza.
Old December 28th 10, 10:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Scrotum

Just got GT5. I got a PS3 years ago for the Blu-ray and to add internet over
wifi to my TV rather than for games. In fact GT5 is only the second game
I've bought for the PS3.

It's a massive game experience that, unfortunately, seems to use it's
massiveness to hide that fact that the physics are weak, the sound is awful,
the controller setup up woeful and damage model almost nonexistent.

Ok, I, I've only tried the MX5 at Laguna and compared it directly with the
same on iRacing, an experience that has lest me wanting mote from GT5.
Hopefully GT5 will be more satisfying with the better cars - the MX5 doesn't
even have a cockpit view!

Verdict: Fantastic arcade experience, but a weak simulation.

Old December 28th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Scrotum

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message

> "petergagg" > wrote in message
>> On 27/11/2010 07:40, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>>> iRacing has messed with my definition of "far too expensive" so I am
>>> tempted by the
>>> idea of buying a PS3 just for GT5 and another Ring experience (among
>>> many others).
>>> So far I've seen quite a lot of comments but there's a really confusing
>>> mixture of
>>> "it suxs" and "it feels great!"
>>>
>>> There do seem to be some people finding the driving experience and FFB
>>> with a G25
>>> quite satisfying (in some of the cars anyway), which is intriguing. But
>>> as there's
>>> no other reason for me to buy a PS3 I really need some sense slapping
>>> into me.
>>>
>>> Feel free to slap away. :-)
>>>
>>> Andrew McP

>> As a long time "proper" sim fan (mostly pc racing sims) I am very much
>> enjoying GT5 on the PS3.
>>
>> You have to take it for what it is, eg: a console based racing game, and
>> once accepted, simply enjoy what it does.
>>
>> Graphics are great, the premier car models are simply stunning, watching
>> replays is quite literally like watching a replay of a real race. Photo
>> realistic (almost) lighting, shadows, details, etc. (10 out of 10)
>>
>> Audio is also good with each car being sampled and surround sound gives
>> good effects.(8/10)
>>
>> Car handling is perfectly fine considering this is a console game, cars
>> rise and fall with acceleration, braking, etc, cars can be slid (power
>> slides or pendulum turns when rallying, etc) car physics seem perfectly
>> acceptable to me. Different models have different handling to suit.
>> Rumbles through the controller help with feedback, but a controller is
>> not as realistic as a wheel. (8/10)
>>
>> NB: I am using the standard PS3 controller with GT5, if racing on my pc I
>> would of course be using a wheel and pedals, so that takes something away
>> from the experience for me, and no matter how hard I try, my partner
>> simply will not allow me to have a cockpit setup in the main lliving
>> room, so it has to stay in the study with the pc! Maybe I'll move the PS3
>> into the study at some point.... BTW I've read on-line that using a wheel
>> and pedals with GT5 is pretty good.

> About the cockpit in living room... Wonder what would happen if you tried
> replacing your existing coffe table with this? Maybe she wont notice
> (lol). Yeah, I think the price is rediculous, but I could build same out
> of plain old plywood I think.

No bitch would ever tell me what I can and can't put in my living room.

Old December 30th 10, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_3_]

OK, it was inevitable that I was getting this for Christmas. I figured
I would post a follow-up to some of my original comments and how this
game compares the GT5 Prologue.

I've been busy due to the holidays, so I've only spent about 2 hours
on the game, spread across the license tests, campaign and arcade
modes. I probably logged 20+ hours in Prologue.

First, everything I said about the AI still seems to be relevant in
the final version. The AI run their race lines and the only time they
even acknowledge your existence is when they try to overtake.
The good thing about this is that they're at least predictable, the
bad is that it tends to make the single player racing feel rather
soul-less.

I played through the A and B spec license tests. Anyone who has played
Live For Speed or many others will find these familiar. They are tasks
like braking and hitting apex's that are also timed events and you get
a bronze, silver or gold cup depending on that time.
They start very simple then keep stacking the tasks to build on them,
usually winding up running a lap against AI. They are quick and fun,
though some seem really hard to get Gold medals on (I'm using regular
PS controller, not a wheel).

In the arcade and campaign modes, I've found that bumping and blocking
is still the order of the day for success. This to me is the main
weakness of the game. You always start mid pack, and the easiest way
to get to the front is to take advantage of the on-rails AI, bump and
squeeze through in the first turn, then block the cars that are faster
than you. Its total arcade tactics. The damage model seems negligible,
despite a 608 meg patch that reportedly adds to it. I didn't play it
before the patch, but all I can say is that there isn't much to it
after.

As much as I'm complaining, I am actually having a decent time with
the game. The sheer number of cars is pretty cool and they have some
varied events to play with them all. There are races for front wheel
drive only, different vintage cars and different vintage and country
or origin. I also gotta say that some of the sound is really cool. I
have it hooked up to my surround system and this game actually used
DTS for my by default. The ambient music, transitions and game itself
all make fantastic use of the rear channels.

The one downer to this is that most of the cars seem to have a very
synthesized engine sound. I read that they recorded a lot of actual
audio for the cars, but its not very evident on the ones I've played
so far.

The setup of my living room really doesn't afford me a place to
reasonably use a wheel/pedals. The one way around this would be to get
one of the metal framed racing seats and sit it there in front of the
TV. The family already have a closet full of plastic drums and
guitars, so storage of one of those just isn't feasible.

I say, if you already have a PS3 and enjoy arcade racers, this is
probably worth a shot. Don't buy a console and wheel just to play it.
The "simulator" hype still far exceeds the reality.

Tim
Old December 30th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Scrotum

Totally agree.

Old December 31st 10, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(David G Fisher's Scrotum) wrote:

> Totally agree.

After a lot of dithering and indecision, I achieved critical "oh f*ck it!" mass
recently, and my PS3 came yesterday. And I totally agreed too until I hit the
Nordschleife for the first time in the AMG Challenge in an old Merc. Then I
genuinely stopped caring. This is, without doubt IMO, the best version of the 'Ring
to appear in electronic form so far. The track just looks right... the proportions
match those you expect from real world footage in a very, very immersive way.

Overall though, and after about four hours play, I think... well, I think I'll do a
random list.

1) GT5 is a *great* game. Initially I felt a bit overwhelmed by the menus, but it
soon starts to feel like home, and the various options all make for compelling
"just one more challenge" gameplay. The only weakness (as a game) is/are the load
times. I haven't been tempted to put an SSD in my PC so far (128Gb is what I want
but won't pay for yet) but as my PS3 will probably only be a GT5 machine (blueray,
schmooray) I could see a "cheap" 32/64Gb disk ending up in here.

2) GT5 *may* be a great sim, but it's sort of hidden... perhaps by the well crafted
learning curve designed for beginners.

There are times when it appears to be very sim-like... I put a wheel onto the grass
on the 'Ring and experienced one of the most realistic feeling spins I've ever had.
And things definitely feel better as you progress into the better cars. It reminds
me of NFS:Shift in that some cars made me frown and others just made me grin. It's
hard to tell though whether much of that is down to weedy beginner's cars.

For whatever reason, overall I've struggled to feel the kind of connection you feel
with cars in the best sims. At the moment I'd rate it -- in the right cars -- below
iRacing (a sim I feel totally connected to, but not at all satisfied by) and above
GTR Evo (a sim I've rarely felt connected in, but which can be very satisfying
against the AI). But at least in GT5 I've never, so far, had to wait 2 hours for a
race which only has four entrants. And of course the Ring experience has really
pulled my personal score up significantly.

3) I'm really enjoying the sound so far. Some engine sounds are a bit weak, others
stunning, but when you're overtaking the way the car sounds interact is very, very
good IMO.

4) This is my first console, and I'm enjoying the polished product that is the PS3.
I am not enjoying having even more cables on my three screen desk though... or
spending half an hour trying to work out why everything on my G25 worked except the
steering. I forgot my rats' nest of PC-related plugs was switched off, along with
the power to the G25.

Doh! :-)

5) More later in the week, no doubt.

Andrew McP (Andrew_McP, surprisingly enough, on PSN if I ever go online with da
massed yoof of da planet)

PS I discovered that my boss at work is a GT5 player. I've never ever discovered
another PC sim driver out there in the real world. Part of me is enjoying being a
bit more mainstream. :->