AMC Rambler strut rod busings available again

Old November 11th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ken Doyle

Default AMC Rambler strut rod busings available again

Strut rod bushings for 1965-1969 AMC/Rambler American, AMX, and Javelin with
11/16 strut rod.

Original style one-piece bushings are available again. Fresh manufacture,
not dried out old stock. Spicer is making them in the USA. I just got a
set for my 1965 Rambler American. The ones I put in 2 years ago were old
stock and failed quickly, these look like they'll last 35 years like the
originals did. I got them at rockauto.com. Spicer #578-1020.

Ken D.

Old November 13th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ken Doyle

They list the same part number for a '68 Rebel. It's a box of 2, with the
insert spacers, to do both sides.
I'd say it fits all '64 - wait a minute, just found this at, or all places,
amazon.com:

Compatibility Chart
Make Model Year Notes
American Motors AMX 1968-1969 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC
BUSHING
American Motors AMX 1970 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC BUSHING
American Motors Ambassador 1965-1973 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD
THREAD~1 PC BUSHING
American Motors Ambassador 1968-1973 FRONT SUSP - 1 PC BUSHING - 11/16"
STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors American 1965-1968 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors American 1968 FRONT SUSP - 11/16" STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors Classic 1965-1966 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors Gremlin 1970-1973 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1
PC BUSHING
American Motors Gremlin 1977 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC
BUSHING
American Motors Hornet 1970-1973 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC
BUSHING
American Motors Hornet 1977 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC
BUSHING
American Motors Javelin 1968-1969 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1
PC BUSHING
American Motors Marlin 1965-1967 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors Matador 1971-1973 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1
PC BUSHING
American Motors Rambler 1969 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD
American Motors Rebel 1967-1970 FRONT - 11/16" DIA STRUT ROD THREAD~1 PC
BUSHING
American Motors Rebel 1968-1970 FRONT SUSP - 1 PC BUSHING - 11/16" STRUT
ROD THREAD

Ken D.

Old November 14th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ken Doyle

Wipe some dishwashing liquid on the bushing and tap it all the way in with a
scrap of wood and a small hammer. Then put some soap on the inside of the
bushing and install the spacer with a "C" clamp and 2 small scraps of wood.

On the '65 American you need:
1" deep socket or box wrench for the end nut
1" line wrench to back off the inner nut
5/8 box wrench to hold top of 2 bolts at lower control arm.
11/16 socket, short extension, on a 1/2" drive handle for bottom of same 2
bolts (those are tight!).

The 2nd side goes a lot faster!

Ken D.