49 Chrysler with no compression

Old July 29th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Default 49 Chrysler with no compression

I recently pulled my uncle's 1949 chrysler Royal out of storage. It
was sitting for 27 years in the garage... anyway, aside from the
wiring being totally useless and in need of replacement, the only
problem i have is the engine has no compression. I have put marvel
mystery, motor oil, even a little gear oil down the cylinders, but no
return of the compression.

This has the flathead "spitfire" 6 cylinder engine. It spins over
freely... way too freely.

Anyone have a method i might not have considered? I'm willing to try
a lot of things before i pull the engine from the car... i'm hoping to
at least get it running before I have to do that. The thing only has
92,000 original miles on it.

Old July 29th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

.... ?anyway, aside from the
> wiring being totally useless and in need of replacement, the only
> problem i have is the engine has no compression. I have put marvel
> mystery, motor oil, even a little gear oil down the cylinders, but no
> return of the compression.

NZA

I had a 29 6 cylinder Chrysler like this. After determining that the
oil pump was indeed pumping oil I took it out on a country road and
gave it a long push. It did eventually start but burned oil like crazy
for a long time. But I solved that problem too. Also maybe the timing
chain is broken or skipping a lot.

As for the wiring. There are places that will make you a new wiring
harness. And if you do this strongly consider converting to 12 volts.

Bob AZ

Old July 29th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Nza wrote:

> The thing only has 92,000 original miles on it.

Wouldn't that be considered a lot of mile between rebuilds for that
vintage (materials and motor oils of the day)?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 29th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Jul 29, 2:26 am, Bob AZ > wrote:
> ... ?anyway, aside from the
>
> > wiring being totally useless and in need of replacement, the only
> > problem i have is the engine has no compression. I have put marvel
> > mystery, motor oil, even a little gear oil down the cylinders, but no
> > return of the compression.

> NZA
>
> I had a 29 6 cylinder Chrysler like this. After determining that the
> oil pump was indeed pumping oil I took it out on a country road and
> gave it a long push. It did eventually start but burned oil like crazy
> for a long time. But I solved that problem too. Also maybe the timing
> chain is broken or skipping a lot.
>
> As for the wiring. There are places that will make you a new wiring
> harness. And if you do this strongly consider converting to 12 volts.
>
> Bob AZ

Well, I reckon if i'm going to try the push-start method, i need to
make the brakes work again first.. LOL

I ordered a new harness already. I decided to stick with 6 volts for
now. That decision was made mainly because i already purchased an 8
volt battery to try it out (the regulator was 'turned up' to 8 volts
years ago). From what i've been reading on the internet, the bigger
wiring of the 6v harness will accomodate 12 volts easily, should i
decide to go that route in the future.

Old July 29th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Jul 29, 10:21 am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> Nza wrote:
> > The thing only has 92,000 original miles on it.

> Wouldn't that be considered a lot of mile between rebuilds for that
> vintage (materials and motor oils of the day)?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

I reckon it could be considered such. My dad said he drove the thing
750 miles right before he put it in storage for those 27 years and it
ran pretty well. Obviously, "ran great when parked" doesn't really
mean anything when the rings are stuck in the pistons..

Old July 29th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Nza wrote:

> Well, I reckon if i'm going to try the push-start method, i need to
> make the brakes work again first.. LOL

SISSY!!

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 29th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Jul 29, 11:36 am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> Nza wrote:
> > Well, I reckon if i'm going to try the push-start method, i need to
> > make the brakes work again first.. LOL

> SISSY!!

LOL !
Hey, i just thought of something... this car has the Fluid Drive
tranny, so do you think it will push start at all ?

Old July 29th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

"Nza" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently pulled my uncle's 1949 chrysler Royal out of storage. It
> was sitting for 27 years in the garage... anyway, aside from the
> wiring being totally useless and in need of replacement, the only
> problem i have is the engine has no compression. I have put marvel
> mystery, motor oil, even a little gear oil down the cylinders, but no
> return of the compression.

Lack of compression could be stuck valves, a rudimentry form of leakdown
testing could be performed by positioning each cylinder to TDC on the firing
stroke and injecting compressed air through the spark plug hole to check for
the sourse of the leakage.

Pressurized sump points to stuck rings, air escaping from the intake or
exhaust indicates stuck valves.

Old July 29th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Jul 29, 3:20 pm, "John Kunkel" > wrote:
> "Nza" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I recently pulled my uncle's 1949 chrysler Royal out of storage. It
> > was sitting for 27 years in the garage... anyway, aside from the
> > wiring being totally useless and in need of replacement, the only
> > problem i have is the engine has no compression. I have put marvel
> > mystery, motor oil, even a little gear oil down the cylinders, but no
> > return of the compression.

> Lack of compression could be stuck valves, a rudimentry form of leakdown
> testing could be performed by positioning each cylinder to TDC on the firing
> stroke and injecting compressed air through the spark plug hole to check for
> the sourse of the leakage.
>
> Pressurized sump points to stuck rings, air escaping from the intake or
> exhaust indicates stuck valves.

I will definitely try that!
Thanks!

Old July 30th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:14:20 UTC, Nza > wrote:

> On Jul 29, 11:36 am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> > Nza wrote:
> > > Well, I reckon if i'm going to try the push-start method, i need to
> > > make the brakes work again first.. LOL

> > SISSY!!
> >

> LOL !
> Hey, i just thought of something... this car has the Fluid Drive
> tranny, so do you think it will push start at all ?

Yes, I have done that with my 49 Windsor and 40 Royal. FluidDrive
came in two different varieties, a regular 3 speed transmission with
fluid drive, and the M4/M6 dual range fluid drive.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"