Please Help with Invoice from Local Auto Repair, Charged for Unneeded Parts?

Old June 23rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dan G.

Default Please Help with Invoice from Local Auto Repair, Charged for Unneeded Parts?

Hi All,
I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my
local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I
wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000
Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was
having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the
front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also
when parked without the motor running.

Front end parts that were replaced:
lower ball joints at $110
sway bar links at $124
quick struts at $700

The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the
serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a
problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different
sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but
all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

Dan G. in CT
Old June 23rd 16, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 06/23/2016 03:41 PM, Dan G. wrote:

> I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my
> local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I
> wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000
> Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was
> having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the
> front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also
> when parked without the motor running.
>
> Front end parts that were replaced:
> lower ball joints at $110
> sway bar links at $124
> quick struts at $700
>
> The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the
> serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a
> problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different
> sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but
> all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

1. Why would a vehicle with less than 50K miles need new suspension parts?

2. Doesn't CT law require them to give you a quote first? If they had
told you it was going to cost this much, would you have said, "Yes", or
would you have sought advice from a different repair shop?

Perce

Old June 23rd 16, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dan G.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:06:30 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>On 06/23/2016 03:41 PM, Dan G. wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my
>> local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I
>> wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000
>> Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was
>> having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the
>> front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also
>> when parked without the motor running.
>>
>> Front end parts that were replaced:
>> lower ball joints at $110
>> sway bar links at $124
>> quick struts at $700
>>
>> The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the
>> serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a
>> problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different
>> sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but
>> all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

>1. Why would a vehicle with less than 50K miles need new suspension parts?
>
>2. Doesn't CT law require them to give you a quote first? If they had
>told you it was going to cost this much, would you have said, "Yes", or
>would you have sought advice from a different repair shop?
>
>Perce

" Why would a vehicle with less than 50K miles need new suspension
parts?"
My thoughts exactly. This shops treated me fairly in the past and have
a good reputation. I did tell them to go ahead w/the work as I needed
the van ASAP, I'm disabled (van has wheelchair ramp) and needed the
van to get to/from an important doctor appt.

I forgot to mention the ramp mods to the van in my earlier post, maybe
that's what caused the parts to start failing sooner than expected?

Dan G. in CT
Old June 24th 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 1:41:37 PM UTC-6, Dan G. wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my
> local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I
> wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000
> Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was
> having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the
> front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also
> when parked without the motor running.
>
> Front end parts that were replaced:
> lower ball joints at $110
> sway bar links at $124
> quick struts at $700
>
> The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the
> serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a
> problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different
> sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but
> all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide
>

> Dan G. in CT

Those parts prices seem kind of high. I would guess that the "quick struts" mean that they come ready to go, so the springs don't have to be transferred to the new ones. Where I live, that much for labor, would represent about 8 hours of work. I checked parts prices on Rockauto.com