91 Caravan Tranny Cable

Old November 30th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

Default 91 Caravan Tranny Cable

My gear select cable is starting to bind. I understand the connection
at the transmission, but how difficult is it to change out the cable
at the shifter end?
Old November 30th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark F[_2_]

Could it be a motor or tranny mount that's failed? /mark

Old November 30th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Nov 30, 11:46*am, Mark F > wrote:
> Could it be a motor or tranny mount that's failed? /mark
>

> dprkk wrote:
> > My gear select cable is starting to bind. I understand the connection
> > at the transmission, but how difficult is it to change out the cable
> > at the shifter end?- Hide quoted text -

Nope, all mounts are new. It's definitely a cable problem.
Old November 30th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

dprkk wrote:
> My gear select cable is starting to bind. I understand the connection
> at the transmission, but how difficult is it to change out the cable
> at the shifter end?

I'm not familiar with that vehicle, but since you haven't gotten any
direct replies yet, I'll just say that on other vehicles that have a
shifter cable (I'm only personally familiar with the 2nd gen LH cars,
whose early shifter cables had a corrosion/binding problem - I've
rpelaced the cable on both my Concordes), on the shifter end (I'm
assuming yours is a column shifter), you would remove the steering
column covers and you would then see some attachment for the cable
sheath (might be a clip securing it to a feature or bracket on the
column), and a ball joint at the end of the cable itself that needs to
be popped off of a rod that is part of or mechanically linked to the
shift lever.

On floor shifters, it's a matter of removing the shift knob and bezel,
then detaching the cable sheath and cable end similar to the column shifter.

Sorry to be so general - maybe someone who knows the details of that
vehicle will post.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 30th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Nov 30, 2:55*pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> dprkk wrote:
> > My gear select cable is starting to bind. I understand the connection
> > at the transmission, but how difficult is it to change out the cable
> > at the shifter end?

> I'm not familiar with that vehicle, but since you haven't gotten any
> direct replies yet, I'll just say that on other vehicles that have a
> shifter cable (I'm only personally familiar with the 2nd gen LH cars,
> whose early shifter cables had a corrosion/binding problem - I've
> rpelaced the cable on both my Concordes), on the shifter end (I'm
> assuming yours is a column shifter), you would remove the steering
> column covers and you would then see some attachment for the cable
> sheath (might be a clip securing it to a feature or bracket on the
> column), and a ball joint at the end of the cable itself that needs to
> be popped off of a rod that is part of or mechanically linked to the
> shift lever.
>
> On floor shifters, it's a matter of removing the shift knob and bezel,
> then detaching the cable sheath and cable end similar to the column shifter.
>
> Sorry to be so general - maybe someone who knows the details of that
> vehicle will post.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Bill, thanks for your reply. It's a column shifter. From what you say,
it sounds like it may not be that bad after the column covers come off.
Old December 3rd 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bryan[_5_]

You do not need to remove the colum covers. the cable attaches to the column
at the base. There is a U clip that can be tricky to deal with but it is not
impossible. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pop the cable off of the lever
and then use the screwdriver to remove the u clip. from there it is cake.

Bryan

Old December 3rd 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bryan wrote:
> You do not need to remove the colum covers. the cable attaches to the column
> at the base. There is a U clip that can be tricky to deal with but it is not
> impossible. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pop the cable off of the lever
> and then use the screwdriver to remove the u clip. from there it is cake.
>
> Bryan

Thanks for clarifying that, Bryan.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

01 Caravan Tranny problem Tim[_10_] Dodge 0 November 3rd 07 09:55 PM
About Caravan tranny problem John61 Chrysler 6 March 19th 07 04:40 AM
Help Parking Brake cable emergency Caravan Vijay Kumar Chrysler 5 August 23rd 06 10:10 PM
Caravan tranny flobert Dodge 2 September 26th 05 03:49 PM
'95 Caravan 3 sp. Tranny Governor Rick Chrysler 4 February 13th 05 02:53 PM