tunnel to pan connection

Old June 8th 05, 12:41 AM
Remco

Default tunnel to pan connection

Hi all
Just got a 72 regular beetle and am evaluating what needs to be done.

It will need floors, heater channels and one of the door post bottoms
will need to be reconstructed. The engine/tranny is in very good shape.

Along the tunnel a lip exists that one normally welds the floor pans
to.
On mine, there's a gap between this lip and the tunnel. Is this lip
part of a plate that's welded along the bottom of the tunnel? Or is it
something welded along the edge of the tunnel?

It looks like a plate, but can't tell until I get under the car and
haven't done that yet.
Could I "just" (after taking the body off, that is) flip the frame and
weld a new bottom plate back on?

Thanks!
Remco

Old June 8th 05, 01:20 AM
johnboy

"Remco" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all
> Just got a 72 regular beetle and am evaluating what needs to be done.
>
> It will need floors, heater channels and one of the door post bottoms
> will need to be reconstructed.

Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on it.

Old June 8th 05, 01:48 AM
Ben Boyle

Yeah, and he didn't ask about if he should throw it away eh? Admittedly his obviously will require some dedication but
that doesn't mean he should be told to just automatically throw it away.

Old June 8th 05, 02:35 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Remco" > wrote in message

> On mine, there's a gap between this lip and the tunnel. Is this lip
> part of a plate that's welded along the bottom of the tunnel? Or is it
> something welded along the edge of the tunnel?

the "tunnel" or "spine" is a two piece unit through the car...the upside
down "U" shaped part is welded to the bottom plate...there should be no
gap...the bottom plate is, as you speculated, wider than the upside down "U"
shaped part so the pans can be attatched to it....sounds like you have a
project ahead of you, but honestly rust repair is easier than collision
repair, so if the car is, so they say, "straight" you will be okay....you
seem to have a good attitude, so go for it....

Old June 8th 05, 02:46 AM
remco

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Remco" > wrote in message
>
> > On mine, there's a gap between this lip and the tunnel. Is this lip
> > part of a plate that's welded along the bottom of the tunnel? Or is it
> > something welded along the edge of the tunnel?
> >

> the "tunnel" or "spine" is a two piece unit through the car...the upside
> down "U" shaped part is welded to the bottom plate...there should be no
> gap...the bottom plate is, as you speculated, wider than the upside down

"U"
> shaped part so the pans can be attatched to it....sounds like you have a
> project ahead of you, but honestly rust repair is easier than collision
> repair, so if the car is, so they say, "straight" you will be okay....you
> seem to have a good attitude, so go for it....

Thanks, Joey - That's the reply I was looking for.

Old June 8th 05, 03:02 AM
Joey Tribiani

"remco" > wrote in message news:E5spe.23055

> Thanks, Joey - That's the reply I was looking for.

you are welcome...shall i begin cussing now? LOL

Old June 8th 05, 03:52 AM
remco

> "remco" > wrote in message news:E5spe.23055
>
> > Thanks, Joey - That's the reply I was looking for.
> >

> you are welcome...shall i begin cussing now? LOL

Please do -- you might get a cramp if you don't..

Old June 8th 05, 05:23 AM
Joey Tribiani

"remco" > wrote in message news:u3tpe.66969

> Please do -- you might get a cramp if you don't..

or i might explode.....

Old June 8th 05, 11:05 AM
Shag

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:23:49 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"remco" > wrote in message news:u3tpe.66969
>

>> Please do -- you might get a cramp if you don't..
>>

>or i might explode.....

Then maybe you should "let it go." hahaha!

Old June 8th 05, 09:24 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

>>or i might explode.....
>>

> Then maybe you should "let it go." hahaha!

hehe...quick on your feet...."good one".....or something...