for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Old March 30th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

Default for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm

shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old March 30th 10, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
hls

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm
>
> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

If the vehicles belong to them, they can do WTF they desire with them...

Old March 30th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:41:36 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm
>
> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!

C'mon, jim. It's a great way to get your hands dirty and have a few beers.

Old March 30th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
Al Goreby

In article >,
jim beam > wrote:

> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...ciency-Oil-Fil
> ters.cfm
>
> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!

Another one into the killfile bucket along with the cross poster.
Old March 30th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

jim beam wrote:
> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm
>

> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!

If you drive your car like a fleet vehicle than this might apply. If
you are the typical driver you better stick to the manufacturer's
recommendation.
Old March 30th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
ACAR

On Mar 29, 8:41*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...High-Efficienc...
>
> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

3M miles on 120 vehicles averages to 25K miles per vehicle. What's
that, about a year on a fleet vehicle? That's supposed to be
convincing?
Old March 30th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/30/2010 06:33 AM, ACAR wrote:
> On Mar 29, 8:41�pm, jim > wrote:
>> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...High-Efficienc...
>>
>> shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!
>>
>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

> 3M miles on 120 vehicles averages to 25K miles per vehicle. What's
> that, about a year on a fleet vehicle? That's supposed to be
> convincing?

when i posted this - i was thinking of the people that do what their
granddaddy did, even though combustion technology, fuels, oils and
engine metallurgy are dramatically different these days. i was hoping
to enlighten, but i guess i'd forgotten just how rigidly proud some
people are of their ignorance and ability to keep their head stuck
firmly in that sand.

next time you get sick, doubtless you're going to resort to burning
camphor and bread poultices. those "doctor" people and their
new-fangled "technology" and "drugs" clearly don't know what they're doing.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old March 30th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Mark[_14_]

I've always thought the 3,000 mile habit is stupid and wasteful for
the average passenger car. Mine typically go 5-6,000, another benefit
of changing my own is that I leave a lot less old oil in the pan than
the average Jiffy Lube by letting it drain all night.

Old March 30th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
dr_jeff

Mark wrote:
> I've always thought the 3,000 mile habit is stupid and wasteful for
> the average passenger car. Mine typically go 5-6,000, another benefit
> of changing my own is that I leave a lot less old oil in the pan than
> the average Jiffy Lube by letting it drain all night.

Does that really matter?

Of course, not going to Jiffy Mistakes is a good idea.

Jeff

Old March 30th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Elle[_4_]

On Mar 29, 6:41*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...High-Efficienc...

The article linked above is a good read and helps reinforce my belief
about going with the manufacturer's recommendations on oil change
intervals, or even longer.

The owner's manual for my 2003 Civic says to change the oil every 10k
miles or every year, whichever comes first, using 5W20 non-synthetic,
and assuming no extreme conditions, per what is explained to be
"extreme" in the owner's manual.

The wikipedia entry for "motor oil" talks about how oil standards have
changed, driving the increasing interval over the decades.