5 psi, 25 oz fuel/minute fuel injection problem

Old August 12th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 5 psi, 25 oz fuel/minute fuel injection problem

I have a 2.8 liter fuel injected (throttle body?) 1996 Olds Cutlass
ciera that cranks, catches for a few seconds, quits. A fuel pressure
gauge shows about 5 psi, fuel pump delivers about 24 ounces of
gasoline per minute. Pump was replaced about 30,000 ago, fuel filter
done very recently. What do I do next?

Old August 12th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article om>,
> wrote:
>I have a 2.8 liter fuel injected (throttle body?) 1996 Olds Cutlass
>ciera that cranks, catches for a few seconds, quits. A fuel pressure
>gauge shows about 5 psi, fuel pump delivers about 24 ounces of
>gasoline per minute. Pump was replaced about 30,000 ago, fuel filter
>done very recently. What do I do next?

Pull the codes off the computer and see what it's saying when it shuts
the thing down.
--scott
Old August 12th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

On Aug 12, 12:44 pm, wrote:
> I have a 2.8 liter fuel injected (throttle body?) 1996 Olds Cutlass
> ciera that cranks, catches for a few seconds, quits. A fuel pressure
> gauge shows about 5 psi, fuel pump delivers about 24 ounces of
> gasoline per minute. Pump was replaced about 30,000 ago, fuel filter
> done very recently. What do I do next?

5psi is too low, assuming your gauge is correct you probably have
another bad pump on your hands or a failed fuel pressure regulator.

Chris

Old August 13th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Aug 12, 3:53 pm, Hal > wrote:
> On Aug 12, 12:44 pm, wrote:
>
> > I have a 2.8 liter fuel injected (throttle body?) 1996 Olds Cutlass
> > ciera that cranks, catches for a few seconds, quits. A fuel pressure
> > gauge shows about 5 psi, fuel pump delivers about 24 ounces of
> > gasoline per minute. Pump was replaced about 30,000 ago, fuel filter
> > done very recently. What do I do next?

> 5psi is too low, assuming your gauge is correct you probably have
> another bad pump on your hands or a failed fuel pressure regulator.
>
> Chris

I found a Chilton manual on fuel injection and ignition for 1984 to
1988, which said to pinch the return line to the fuel tank, and the
pressure guage should read 75psi. Well, still reads 5 psi. When I
press the valve on the side of the pressure guage to relieve the
pressure, the flow is certainly not in the 25 to 45 psi range.
Although, to be safe, I suppose I should try the guage out on a car
that is running to see if the guage is accurate. One thing that is
odd is when I relieve the pressure with the button on the side of the
pressure guage, a good 3 ounces flows into the can and that seem odd
for such a low pressure. If there is an accumulator, I would think it
would not work at low pressure.

Old August 13th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I found a Chilton manual on fuel injection and ignition for 1984 to
>1988, which said to pinch the return line to the fuel tank, and the
>pressure guage should read 75psi. Well, still reads 5 psi. When I
>press the valve on the side of the pressure guage to relieve the
>pressure, the flow is certainly not in the 25 to 45 psi range.

Your fuel pump is not good.

If blocking the return line does not at least _change_ the pressure, it
means the incoming pressure is below the level the regulator is set to.

>Although, to be safe, I suppose I should try the guage out on a car
>that is running to see if the guage is accurate. One thing that is
>odd is when I relieve the pressure with the button on the side of the
>pressure guage, a good 3 ounces flows into the can and that seem odd
>for such a low pressure. If there is an accumulator, I would think it
>would not work at low pressure.

Fit the gauge to a tire fitting, and connect it to a tire that has a known
air pressure inside. Does it read anything close to correct?
--scott
Old August 13th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Aug 12, 6:29 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
> >I found a Chilton manual on fuel injection and ignition for 1984 to
> >1988, which said to pinch the return line to the fuel tank, and the
> >pressure guage should read 75psi. Well, still reads 5 psi. When I
> >press the valve on the side of the pressure guage to relieve the
> >pressure, the flow is certainly not in the 25 to 45 psi range.

> Your fuel pump is not good.
>
> If blocking the return line does not at least _change_ the pressure, it
> means the incoming pressure is below the level the regulator is set to.
>
> >Although, to be safe, I suppose I should try the guage out on a car
> >that is running to see if the guage is accurate. One thing that is
> >odd is when I relieve the pressure with the button on the side of the
> >pressure guage, a good 3 ounces flows into the can and that seem odd
> >for such a low pressure. If there is an accumulator, I would think it
> >would not work at low pressure.

> Fit the gauge to a tire fitting, and connect it to a tire that has a known
> air pressure inside. Does it read anything close to correct?
> --scott

OK, just went and put the gauge on a tire and it read 32 psi. On this
car the gas tank has to come out to replace the pump. I once had a
mechanic tell me that getting gasoline on a light bulb can break the
bulb from the cold of the gas evaporating and start a fire while
pulling a fuel tank. Will do the job outside with no light bulb.

Bravada fuel injection problem - running rich, but why? Chuck D. Bones Technology 5 September 2nd 06 06:49 PM
1974 SB - Replacing manual fuel pump with an electric (fuel delivery problem) Steve VW air cooled 10 June 20th 06 08:05 PM
fiesta mk4 fuel injection problem? Helen Technology 0 May 20th 06 12:30 PM
Fuel injection problem SQ Technology 3 November 21st 05 09:11 PM
Fuel Injection Jeff Strickland Jeep 3 November 30th 04 10:43 PM