Oil Change Frequency

Old July 22nd 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mel P.[_2_]

Default Oil Change Frequency

Up until I got my 2009 Civic, I would change oil in my cars every 3K miles.
Now with the car's 'maintenance minder", it shows the oil life left which
is 5-7K miles.

If I REALLY can go by it, I have no problems.

Just asking if it will wear the engine out quicker.

thanks,

--
Mel

Old July 22nd 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vincent Parry

On 7/22/10 6:52 AM, Mel P. wrote:
> Up until I got my 2009 Civic, I would change oil in my cars every 3K miles.
> Now with the car's 'maintenance minder", it shows the oil life left
> which is 5-7K miles.
>
> If I REALLY can go by it, I have no problems.
>
> Just asking if it will wear the engine out quicker.
>
> thanks,

If you're into recreational oil changing, lock 'n load, it won't hurt --
unless you have a heavy hand and strip the threads in the drain hole.

Otherwise, follow the mfr's schedule. They designed and built the engine
and know best what's needed to keep it running well.
Old July 22nd 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Mel P." > wrote in message
> Up until I got my 2009 Civic, I would change oil in my cars every 3K
> miles.
> Now with the car's 'maintenance minder", it shows the oil life left which
> is 5-7K miles.
>
> If I REALLY can go by it, I have no problems.
>
> Just asking if it will wear the engine out quicker.

On my '01 Accord I don't change the oil till the indicator says to (usually
around the 7,000 mile mark). I'm now at 256,xxx miles and the engine still
runs smooth. So engine longevity is not an issue. And I've spent half as
much as I would if I followed the '60s thought process and changed every 3k.

Old July 22nd 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/22/2010 03:52 AM, Mel P. wrote:
> Up until I got my 2009 Civic, I would change oil in my cars every 3K miles.
> Now with the car's 'maintenance minder", it shows the oil life left
> which is 5-7K miles.
>
> If I REALLY can go by it, I have no problems.
>
> Just asking if it will wear the engine out quicker.
>
> thanks,

are you using crappy oil from the 1950's with poor additives and poor
base quality? 'cos if so, stick to the 3k mile regime.

otherwise, honda have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate guesswork,
superstition and witchcraft from their vehicles, so you can be confident
that the minder will keep your engine safe.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 26th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Jul 22, 11:41*am, jim beam > wrote:
snip

> otherwise, honda have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate guesswork,
> superstition and witchcraft from their vehicles, so you can be confident
> that the minder will keep your engine safe.
>
> --

While I agree that modern oils can go 5K to 10K miles between oil
changes, how can you suggest that Honda's on-board maintenance minder
is the last word in maintenance when you do not know what algorithm it
uses to calculate oil change frequency?

Experience is not "guesswork, superstition and witchcraft."
Old July 26th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/26/2010 09:30 AM, ACAR wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:41�am, jim > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> otherwise, honda have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate guesswork,
>> superstition and witchcraft from their vehicles, so you can be confident
>> that the minder will keep your engine safe.
>>
>> --

> While I agree that modern oils can go 5K to 10K miles between oil
> changes, how can you suggest that Honda's on-board maintenance minder
> is the last word in maintenance when you do not know what algorithm it
> uses to calculate oil change frequency?

unless you have numbers, it effectively is the last word. numbers come
from analysis.

> Experience is not "guesswork, superstition and witchcraft."

"experience" from analysis?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 26th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vincent Parry[_2_]

On 7/26/10 12:30 PM, ACAR wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:41 am, jim > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> otherwise, honda have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate guesswork,
>> superstition and witchcraft from their vehicles, so you can be confident
>> that the minder will keep your engine safe.
>>
>> --

> While I agree that modern oils can go 5K to 10K miles between oil
> changes, how can you suggest that Honda's on-board maintenance minder
> is the last word in maintenance when you do not know what algorithm it
> uses to calculate oil change frequency?

Wouldja' think, just maybe, that the second largest car company-- with a
sterling reputaion for quality and reliability-- would somehow manage to
plug in the right numbers when programming the Mileage minder?

So woudja', huh?
Old July 26th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vincent Parry[_2_]

On 7/26/10 3:34 PM, Vincent Parry wrote:
> On 7/26/10 12:30 PM, ACAR wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 11:41 am, jim > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> otherwise, honda have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate guesswork,
>>> superstition and witchcraft from their vehicles, so you can be confident
>>> that the minder will keep your engine safe.
>>>
>>> --

>> While I agree that modern oils can go 5K to 10K miles between oil
>> changes, how can you suggest that Honda's on-board maintenance minder
>> is the last word in maintenance when you do not know what algorithm it
>> uses to calculate oil change frequency?
>>

> Wouldja' think, just maybe, that the second largest car company-- with a
> sterling reputaion for quality and reliability-- would somehow manage to
> plug in the right numbers when programming the Mileage minder?
>
> So woudja', huh?

....make that *Japanese* car company...

-----VP
Old July 27th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Jul 26, 10:30*am, ACAR > wrote:
> how can you suggest that Honda's on-board maintenance minder
> is the last word in maintenance when you do not know what algorithm it
> uses to calculate oil change frequency?

Used oil analyses (UOA) support the computations of maintenance
minders, per

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm

http://www.flmowner.com/Storage/Comm...IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

http://www.ganoa.org/Motor_oil2.htm

UOA has been used for decades in other transportation industries and
is a proven method of maximizing machinery life while minimizing the
expense of oil changes.

(Thanks to others for the first two citations above.)
Old August 4th 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Jul 26, 3:34*pm, Vincent Parry > wrote:
> On 7/26/10 12:30 PM, ACAR wrote:

snip
> So woudja', huh?

So if Honda is so secure with their algorithm, why do they keep it a
secret?
You think a single algorithm can take into account the entire range of
possible environmental conditions? Or do you think it can account for
"normal" conditions?

Like it or not, Honda is in the business of selling you a car. The
more often you buy one, the more profit they make.

There's tons of oil analysis data available online at bobistheoilguy.