Toyota to recall 600,000 Sienna minivans

Old April 20th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Wayne[_6_]

Default Toyota to recall 600,000 Sienna minivans

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:46:52 -0700, Wayne wrote:

>>> About the way it'll play out. I can't wait to get a 2014 Scion!
>>>

>> Why wait till 2014?

> Gonna take them about that to re-engineer and get the goodies out.

Perhaps. But I bought a 2010 RX-350 with no hesitation, and it appears to
be the best car I have ever owned. My comparison vehicle is a 1999 RX-300
that only had a burned out brake light in 95000 miles of driving. I don't
see a reason to wait on buying a Toyota product.

Old April 20th 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
ACAR

On Apr 17, 2:14*am, john > wrote:
> Yeah, another Toyota recall.
>
> "Toyota said today it was recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans to inspect
> for rust in the cable that holds the spare tire, adding to the more
> than 6 million vehicles already under recall by the automaker this
> year.
>
> Toyota said it does not yet have a fix for the problem, which is
> likely confined to 20 cold-weather states, including Michigan, which
> use road salt in winter. Owners in other states can have their vans
> inspected for the problem.
>
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010041...067/1210/busin...

The fix is pretty simple; an annual inspection and grease applied to
the cable. My 1998 Sienna, as well as LOTS of other vehicles on the
road, used a similar cable system. Every year, when I checked the
spare tire, I'd also grease the cable.

But there are LOTS of other vehicles out there using a similar cable
for the spare. Only Toyota cables rust?
Old April 20th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
C. E. White[_2_]

"john" > wrote in message
> Yeah, another Toyota recall.
>
> "Toyota said today it was recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans to
> inspect
> for rust in the cable that holds the spare tire, adding to the more
> than 6 million vehicles already under recall by the automaker this
> year.
>
> Toyota said it does not yet have a fix for the problem, which is
> likely confined to 20 cold-weather states, including Michigan, which
> use road salt in winter. Owners in other states can have their vans
> inspected for the problem.
>
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010041...600000-Siennas

Toyota is not unique in having problems with these spare tire cables.
I am pretty sure Chrysler, Ford, and GM have had complaints related to
these spare tire cables failing and dropping spare tires on the road
(although they apparently have not recalled anything for this
problem). Heck, Toyota had the problem with Tundras too.

Ed

Old April 20th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Wayne[_6_]

"ACAR" > wrote in message
On Apr 17, 2:14 am, john > wrote:
> Yeah, another Toyota recall.
>
> "Toyota said today it was recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans to inspect
> for rust in the cable that holds the spare tire, adding to the more
> than 6 million vehicles already under recall by the automaker this
> year.
>
> Toyota said it does not yet have a fix for the problem, which is
> likely confined to 20 cold-weather states, including Michigan, which
> use road salt in winter. Owners in other states can have their vans
> inspected for the problem.
>
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010041...067/1210/busin...

The fix is pretty simple; an annual inspection and grease applied to
the cable. My 1998 Sienna, as well as LOTS of other vehicles on the
road, used a similar cable system. Every year, when I checked the
spare tire, I'd also grease the cable.

But there are LOTS of other vehicles out there using a similar cable
for the spare. Only Toyota cables rust?
***************
Nope....same problem on lots of other brands. But Toyota is the current
pinata being beaten.

Old April 22nd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Wayne[_6_]

"me" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:29:54 -0700, "Wayne" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nope....same problem on lots of other brands. But Toyota is the current
>>pinata being beaten.

> Except that they did the recall themselves, they were NOT ordered to
> do it, so your whine doesn't hold water.

-
I'm not following your response. Are you saying that spare cables rust ONLY
on Toyota vehicles, or are you saying that Toyota is not being beaten like a
pinata?

Old April 22nd 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Ed White[_1_]

On Apr 22, 11:03*am, "Wayne" > wrote:
> "me" > wrote in message
>
> ... > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:29:54 -0700, "Wayne" >
> > wrote:

> >>Nope....same problem on lots of other brands. *But Toyota is the current
> >>pinata being beaten.

> > Except that they did the recall themselves, they were NOT ordered to
> > do it, so your whine doesn't hold water.

> -
> I'm not following your response. *Are you saying that spare cables rust ONLY
> on Toyota vehicles, or are you saying that Toyota is not being beaten like a
> pinata?

Lately it seems Toyota is being beaten like a pinata.

As far as I know these spare tire cables have a significant failure
rate no matter who uses them. I have to wonder if maybe becasue of
some unmentioned factor(s), Siennas have an unusally severe problem
with cable failure. Maybe the location of the cable, or the design of
the underside of the van exposes the cable to more salt than tpyical
for other vehicles using cables. I've never had a cable fail, but I
did have the cable winding mechanism jam on an older Ford. I prefer
the style of spare tire carrier that uses a metal frame that you tilt
down to remove the tire. On the other hand, I so rarely need to use a
spare, I almost don't care if I have one.

Ed

Old April 24th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:27:55 -0400, me wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:03:31 -0700, "Wayne" >
> wrote:
>

>>"me" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Except that they did the recall themselves, they were NOT ordered to do
>>> it, so your whine doesn't hold water.

>>-
>>I'm not following your response. Are you saying that spare cables rust
>>ONLY on Toyota vehicles, or are you saying that Toyota is not being
>>beaten like a pinata?
>>

> I'm saying that you're moaning about Toyota being a pinata - but in this
> case they did the recall of their own accord. No one ordered them to do
> it. The pinata whine doesn't hold water.

Of course it does. Every day there's a media story about Toyota. You'd
think Toyota would pull some advertising in retribution. NBC leads the
list.

With the US government in the car business, wouldn't it make sense to beat
down your biggest rival?

Old April 24th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus
Wayne[_6_]

"me" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:03:31 -0700, "Wayne" >
> wrote:
>

>>"me" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Except that they did the recall themselves, they were NOT ordered to
>>> do it, so your whine doesn't hold water.

>>-
>>I'm not following your response. Are you saying that spare cables rust
>>ONLY
>>on Toyota vehicles, or are you saying that Toyota is not being beaten like
>>pinata?
>>

> I'm saying that you're moaning about Toyota being a pinata - but in
> this case they did the recall of their own accord. No one ordered them
> to do it. The pinata whine doesn't hold water.

-
As a former GM owner I am convinced that if the government applied the same
enthusiasm to examining GM products, there would be more problems uncovered
than with Toyota. I shutter each time I rent a car and end up with a GM
product.