'65 Fastback Rear Seat Installation

Old November 10th 04, 03:45 AM
Steve Battles

Default '65 Fastback Rear Seat Installation

I'm reinstalling the interior of my fastback. I dismantled it almost
20 years ago. Yeah, one of those long drawn out restorations.

Anyway, I'm trying to install the rear "shelf" unit. It's the part of
the fold down rear seat that's closest to the "trap door" near the
trunk. I can't figure out how this attaches to the car. If there are
any books or photos that'd help, please let me know. Any help is
appreciated.
Old November 10th 04, 07:21 PM
Laurie S.

"Steve Battles" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm reinstalling the interior of my fastback. I dismantled it almost
> 20 years ago. Yeah, one of those long drawn out restorations.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to install the rear "shelf" unit. It's the part of
> the fold down rear seat that's closest to the "trap door" near the
> trunk. I can't figure out how this attaches to the car. If there are
> any books or photos that'd help, please let me know. Any help is
> appreciated.

I was just checking this last night for my 68 fastback. If you can get the
September 1986 issue of Mustang Monthly it shows it in there. The rear
shelf has two tabs that slide under the brackets at the rear corner of the
interior. The panel is then screwed down through the back and front
corners. The back corners are those two metal inserts where the seat would
rest on when it's upright. The front corners appear to just have a bolt
that screws down into the support that holds the center panel hinge.

Hope I explained that okay. I'm modifying mine because instead of carpet,
I've padded my panels and then covered them in vinyl that matches the
leather seats. I don't want any inserts or bolt heads showing in the
panels. So, I need to hide the bolts by coming from underneath. Nothing
like redesigning Ford's engineering. LOL

--
Laurie S.
Thunder Snake #7