remanufactured compressor AC

Old July 29th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Philippe MÉRY

Default remanufactured compressor AC

Hello from France

on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(

We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual not as in Us
or Canada...

Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...

If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in Us or
Canada

Other whise have you some plan for new one (adaptable...)

Thanks
Philippe

for responding please drop -discret- in my adress

Old July 30th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

Here in the U.S. we use rebuilt compressors all the time, and they last
roughly as long as new ones. A rebuilt is better than the one you have now,
is it not? But how will you get a remanufactured compressor in France?
Shipping is expensive. I recently paid 29 Euro to get a 9 DVD set weighing
only a kilo shipped from Spain. I suppose that the compressor you want is
about five kilos. I strongly recommend that you try to find this part from
a French vendor too, because of warranty issues. A Prelude for the French
market might have used a different compressor from an American model, too.

One of my Spanish friends told me that shopping trips are arranged, for
people to fly from Europe, where clothes are really expensive, to spend a
couple of days in New York, filling up their suitcases with relatively
inexpensive and stylish American clothing. If you were coming on holiday,
it would be no great trick to find the compressor you wanted, and slip it
into your suitcase. I don't know how airport security would react though,
or French customs. Sometimes, you will find what you want in another
country, at a very attractive price, but getting it home, that is the
problem!

Some American vendors of auto parts:
www.autozone.com
www.schucks.com
www.napaonline.com
A very good American source for AC components:
http://www.acsource.com

Earle

Old July 30th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Philippe MÉRY wrote:

> on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(
>
> We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual not as in Us
> or Canada...
>
> Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
> Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...
>
> If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in Us or
> Canada

In the U.S., many compressors aren't remanufacturered very well and
suffer high failure rates. This includes units from Four Seasons, the
largest remanufacturer of automotive A/C compressors. So the only
remanufactured compressors I'd accept would be those from the auto
manufacturers themselves.

Old July 30th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ib[_1_]

"Philippe MÉRY" > wrote in message

> Hello from France
>
> on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(
>
> We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual not as in
> Us
> or Canada...
>

> Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
> Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...
>
> If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in Us or
> Canada
>
> Other whise have you some plan for new one (adaptable...)
>

> Thanks
> Philippe
>
> for responding please drop -discret- in my adress

What about a used part?

Old July 31st 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Philippe MÉRY

"ib" > a écrit dans le message de news:

> "Philippe MÉRY" > wrote in message
>>
>> Hello from France
>>
>> on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(
>>
>> We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual not as in
>> Us
>> or Canada...
>>

>> Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
>> Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...
>>
>> If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in Us or
>> Canada
>>
>> Other whise have you some plan for new one (adaptable...)
>>

>> Thanks
>> Philippe
>>
>> for responding please drop -discret- in my adress
>>

> What about a used part?

i have been told the risk of rust (stain?? ... apologize for my English)...
were high if the compressor has been not prepared to stay out of the car...

Old July 31st 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ib

"Philippe MÉRY" > wrote in message

> "ib" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>>
>> "Philippe MÉRY" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hello from France
>>>
>>> on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(
>>>
>>> We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual not as
>>> in Us
>>> or Canada...
>>>

>>> Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
>>> Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...
>>>
>>> If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in Us
>>> or
>>> Canada
>>>
>>> Other whise have you some plan for new one (adaptable...)
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Philippe
>>>
>>> for responding please drop -discret- in my adress
>>>

>> What about a used part?

> i have been told the risk of rust (stain?? ... apologize for my
> English)...
> were high if the compressor has been not prepared to stay out of the
> car...

As long as the system is closed (and preferably with some positive pressure)
a second hand pump could be fine - a gamble of course, but you might be
lucky!

Old July 31st 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Philippe MÉRY" > wrote in message

> > a écrit dans le message de news:
>
> Philippe MÉRY wrote:
>
> > on Prelude 3° gen the AC compressor is dead :-(
> >
> > We are in France and remanufacturing AC compressor is not usual
> > not as in Us or Canada...
> >
> > Is it safe and reliable to look toward a remanufactured one?
> > Some people in France says it is not a longlife plan...
> >
> > If it is good plan.... Have you some companies beter than others in
> > Us or Canada

> In the U.S., many compressors aren't remanufacturered very well and
> suffer high failure rates.
>
> It is my major fear .... once the compressor in France...
>

> This includes units from Four Seasons, the
> largest remanufacturer of automotive A/C compressors. So the
> only remanufactured compressors I'd accept would be those
> from the auto manufacturers themselves.
>
> Clever idea i hope Honda do that...

If you bought the compressor from a U. S. vendor, you would essentially have
no recourse if it fails, once installed on your vehicle in France. You
could of course remove it from the vehicle, and send it to the manufacturer,
asking them to honor their warranty policy, but the expense of shipping
would be prohibitive, and you would have to wait a long time for a
replacement. You would not even consider a remanufactured compressor from
the U. S., unless it was vastly cheaper than what you have available in
Europe. This is true, even if you bought from a supposedly reliable vendor
such as Honda.

What kind of prices are you finding in the U. S. and France, during your
Internet search?

Earle