Ride quality? Toyota Echo vs. Toyota Scion Xa

Old May 10th 05, 09:32 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Default Ride quality? Toyota Echo vs. Toyota Scion Xa

Consumer Reports said that the Toyota Echo had good ride quality but
that the Scion Xa, based on the same chassis, rode rough. I test drove
both on the freeway and found this to be true.

I don't need an absolutely smooth ride, but the Scion seemed like it
would be awful on a long trip. Is Toyota going to change the ride
quality, or can I improve it with different struts & shocks (if so,
which?)?

The reason I don't want the Echo is because it's not available as a
hatchback in the U.S.

Old May 10th 05, 12:11 PM
Sherman Kaplan

I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and get
about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....

Sherm

Old May 10th 05, 03:29 PM
Wickeddoll®

"larry moe 'n curly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Consumer Reports said that the Toyota Echo had good ride quality but
> that the Scion Xa, based on the same chassis, rode rough. I test drove
> both on the freeway and found this to be true.

I didn't notice any difference at all, but you didn't say whether you had an
automatic or manual (My hubby doesn't drive stick, so we always get
automatic)

> I don't need an absolutely smooth ride, but the Scion seemed like it
> would be awful on a long trip. Is Toyota going to change the ride
> quality, or can I improve it with different struts & shocks (if so,
> which?)?

Probably will change it, but again, I didn't notice any difference. BTW, I'm
gonna go buy our Scion today! :-) It'll be primarily my husband's car, and
he likes how it rides. But then for the last 10 years or so, he's driven the
Corolla FX 16 (Which also has a decent ride, despite being 18 years old)

> The reason I don't want the Echo is because it's not available as a
> hatchback in the U.S.

I thought the new ones had a hatch? At any rate, I don't like the new
Echoes - they look just like several other cars on the road. I bought my
Echo because it looked *different* The early Echoes had **** paint jobs, so
I'm getting mine painted soon.

Natalie, who loves her pregnant roller skate

Old May 10th 05, 03:30 PM
Wickeddoll®

"Sherman Kaplan" > wrote in message
>I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and get
>about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....
>
> Sherm

What's an MB?

Natalie

Old May 10th 05, 03:44 PM
Wickeddoll®

"Eric Dreher" ét> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:30:57 -0400, "Wickeddoll®"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Sherman Kaplan" > wrote in message
>>>I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and
>>>get
>>>about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....
>>>
>>> Sherm
>>>

>>What's an MB?

> An auto manufacturer which garnered far more respect before their
> disastrous, quality-degrading, merger with Chrysler.

Oh my - what do you suppose they were smoking?

Natalie

Old May 10th 05, 04:27 PM
Ray O

"Wickeddoll®" > wrote in message

> "Sherman Kaplan" > wrote in message
>>I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and
>>get about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....
>>
>> Sherm
>>

> What's an MB?
>
> Natalie

MB = Mercedes Benz

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Old May 10th 05, 04:33 PM
TeGGeR®

"Wickeddoll®" > wrote in
:

> "Eric Dreher" ét> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:30:57 -0400, "Wickeddoll®"
>> > wrote:

>>>What's an MB?

>> An auto manufacturer which garnered far more respect before their
>> disastrous, quality-degrading, merger with Chrysler.
>>

> Oh my - what do you suppose they were smoking?

Whatever it was, I don't want any. It obviously wasn't very good.

--
TeGGeR®

Old May 10th 05, 05:01 PM

"Eric Dreher" ét> wrote in message

> >> An auto manufacturer which garnered far more respect before their
> >> disastrous, quality-degrading, merger with Chrysler.
> >>

> >Oh my - what do you suppose they were smoking?

> That merger was always a mystery to me. Why Daimler would lower
> itself to be associated with Chrysler boggles the mind. Pearls
> before the swine.
>
> Chrysler is the winner here as their post-merger quality has
> increased, while MB has gone down.

Recent revelations show that it wasn't likely a merger at all. It was an
acquisition.
They (Mercedes) are taking some heat about lack of honesty now, but not know
whether
they actually broke any laws.

MB, IMHO, tends to be overengineered and can be expensive to maintain.

Old May 10th 05, 05:22 PM
Wickeddoll®

"Ray O" > wrote in message
ervers.com...

> "Wickeddoll®" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sherman Kaplan" > wrote in message
>>>I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and
>>>get about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....
>>>
>>> Sherm
>>>

>> What's an MB?
>>
>> Natalie

> MB = Mercedes Benz