Recommendation for Winter Driving...

Old April 28th 05, 06:30 AM
Y2KRedMustang

Default Recommendation for Winter Driving...

I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car
which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using
the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and
would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the
tires? Put more weight in the trunk, etc? This would be the first time I
would be driving the GT in snow. I know it's a long ways out for winter but
I just want to save up for what I need to buy if any.

Thanks

'00 Red GT Vert
5-Speed Steeda Tri-Axe

Old April 28th 05, 07:18 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 4/27/2005 10:30 PM, Y2KRedMustang wrote:

> I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car
> which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using
> the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and
> would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the
> tires?

Definitely. Get a set of four good studless winter tires (like Blizzaks)
mounted on steel wheels, and keep a set of chains in the trunk... in
case you get stuck.

> Put more weight in the trunk, etc?

Also definitely. Throw a couple bags of sand or kitty litter in the
trunk, and it'll double as a traction aid... in case you get stuck.

Your traction control is your right foot. Just remember to do
*everything* gently (steering, braking, and throttling), and you should
do fine... unless you get stuck.

Hey, at least Denver proper is just about as flat as you could want.
There's nothing like trying to drive up or down a 12% grade covered with
three inches of snow. Have you lived and driven through winters there
long? Practice and experience both help enormously in the snow.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old April 28th 05, 11:03 AM
Bob Willard

Y2KRedMustang wrote:

> I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car
> which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using
> the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and
> would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the
> tires? Put more weight in the trunk, etc? This would be the first time I
> would be driving the GT in snow. I know it's a long ways out for winter but
> I just want to save up for what I need to buy if any.
>
> Thanks
>
> '00 Red GT Vert
> 5-Speed Steeda Tri-Axe

I live in a moderately hilly town N. of Boston, and the performance
tires make my '98 GT absolutely dangerous. But, with snows, it is OK.

Get a set of snows. I keep snows on cheap steel wheels, with cheap plastic
wheel covers. Every fall and spring, I switch between snows and funs.

{I just bought a new set of funs -- Bridgestone Potenza RE750s -- to
replace the original Gatorbacks. The Bridgestones are fine, and are much
better in the rain than the Gatorbacks ever were.}
--
Cheers, Bob
Old April 28th 05, 08:01 PM
Y2KRedMustang

I grew up in Wisconsin, snow driving was a must. I've had front and all
wheel drive cars while I've lived in Denver for a while now and wanted
feedback from GT owners who use theirs in the winter/snow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Old April 29th 05, 01:09 AM
RT

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:18:04 -0700, Garth Almgren >
wrote:

>Around 4/27/2005 10:30 PM, Y2KRedMustang wrote:
>
>> I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car
>> which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using
>> the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and
>> would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the
>> tires?

>Definitely. Get a set of four good studless winter tires (like Blizzaks)
>mounted on steel wheels, and keep a set of chains in the trunk... in
>case you get stuck.
>
>> Put more weight in the trunk, etc?

>Also definitely. Throw a couple bags of sand or kitty litter in the
>trunk, and it'll double as a traction aid... in case you get stuck.
>
>Your traction control is your right foot. Just remember to do
>*everything* gently (steering, braking, and throttling), and you should
>do fine... unless you get stuck.
>
>Hey, at least Denver proper is just about as flat as you could want.
>There's nothing like trying to drive up or down a 12% grade covered with
>three inches of snow. Have you lived and driven through winters there
>long? Practice and experience both help enormously in the snow.

You heard the man. get snowtires.
When you take the sumemr tires off, give the wheels a good cleanign
inside and out. Don't let them sit all winter with the brake dust on
them like my dad did. Can't get it off next spring
Old April 29th 05, 02:37 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:30:36 GMT, "Y2KRedMustang"
> wrote:

>I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car
>which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using
>the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and
>would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the
>tires? Put more weight in the trunk, etc? This would be the first time I
>would be driving the GT in snow. I know it's a long ways out for winter but
>I just want to save up for what I need to buy if any.
>
>Thanks
>
>'00 Red GT Vert
>5-Speed Steeda Tri-Axe

um dude
mustangs are not really made for winter
you might want to drive awd

hurc ast

Careless Driving in NJ s Driving 38 March 27th 05 09:08 PM
opinon of BFG 31 AT KO used tire and rim purchase ufatbastehd Jeep 9 January 28th 05 03:49 AM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM