License plate light

Old February 19th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

Default License plate light

Hi all,

the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something else
to check?
Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
It's for my '73

TIA,
Roger

Old February 19th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

bug '59 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
> Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
> Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something else
> to check?
> Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
> It's for my '73
>
> TIA,
> Roger

It is tapped off one of the tail lights.
See if both tail lights remain on when the license goes out.
There are 2 fuses for tail lights; completely separate
from headlights.

Besides the bulb and socket, check the Brw Ground wire.
It should terminate at a Ground terminal behind one of the
tar boards in the engine bay.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old February 19th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
badnews

On Feb 19, 4:21 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> bug '59 wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
> > Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
> > Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something else
> > to check?
> > Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
> > It's for my '73

> > TIA,
> > Roger

> It is tapped off one of the tail lights.
> See if both tail lights remain on when the license goes out.
> There are 2 fuses for tail lights; completely separate
> from headlights.
>
> Besides the bulb and socket, check the Brw Ground wire.
> It should terminate at a Ground terminal behind one of the
> tar boards in the engine bay.
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>
> "I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
> Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

try a new bulb some times the filiment is broken loose by engine
viberation

Old February 20th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac

"Bug73" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 19, 3:51 pm, "bug '59" >
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
>> Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
>> Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something
>> else
>> to check?
>> Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
>> It's for my '73
>>
>> TIA,
>> Roger

> According to my manual there could be a white fuse tube in the engine
> compartment, you might want to check there too. I am having a problem
> with my lights (all park lights, break & backup) still trying to
> figure out what color wires go on what terminal. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Ray
> Orlando

This site is great for sorting out your wiring issues!!

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html

Mac

Old February 20th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bug73

Old February 20th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Mac wrote:
> "Bug73" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>On Feb 19, 3:51 pm, "bug '59" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
>>>Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
>>>Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something
>>>else
>>>to check?
>>>Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
>>>It's for my '73
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>Roger

>>According to my manual there could be a white fuse tube in the engine
>>compartment, you might want to check there too. I am having a problem
>>with my lights (all park lights, break & backup) still trying to
>>figure out what color wires go on what terminal. Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Ray
>>Orlando

> This site is great for sorting out your wiring issues!!
>
> http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html
>
> Mac

Yes indeedy!

For the '73, you're better off downloading the '72 de diagram;
it will be easier to follow and the fuses are the same.

BTW, the fuse in the engine bay is for the Backup lights only.

Old February 21st 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

"Speedy Jim" > schreef in bericht
et...
> bug '59 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
>> Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
>> Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something
>> else to check?
>> Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
>> It's for my '73
>>
>> TIA,
>> Roger

> It is tapped off one of the tail lights.
> See if both tail lights remain on when the license goes out.
> There are 2 fuses for tail lights; completely separate
> from headlights.
>
> Besides the bulb and socket, check the Brw Ground wire.
> It should terminate at a Ground terminal behind one of the
> tar boards in the engine bay.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>
> "I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
> Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder
> engine.

Ah, thanks Jim.

It now makes some sense to me..
It all occured when I dropped the engine. Must have done something wrong
then.
I've glansed into the engine bay but could not find the culprid yet.
Lightbulb seemes to be ok.
By 'one of the tar boards' you mean the ones on the side right? Not at the
back?
When I'm not so bussy with work I'll take more time to search.

Thanks again.
Roger

Old February 21st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

bug '59 wrote:

> "Speedy Jim" > schreef in bericht
> et...
>
>>bug '59 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
>>>Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
>>>Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something
>>>else to check?
>>>Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
>>>It's for my '73
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>Roger

>>It is tapped off one of the tail lights.
>>See if both tail lights remain on when the license goes out.
>>There are 2 fuses for tail lights; completely separate
>>from headlights.
>>
>>Besides the bulb and socket, check the Brw Ground wire.
>>It should terminate at a Ground terminal behind one of the
>>tar boards in the engine bay.
>>
>>Speedy Jim
>>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>>
>>"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
>>Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder
>>engine.

> Ah, thanks Jim.
>
> It now makes some sense to me..
> It all occured when I dropped the engine. Must have done something wrong
> then.
> I've glansed into the engine bay but could not find the culprid yet.
> Lightbulb seemes to be ok.
> By 'one of the tar boards' you mean the ones on the side right? Not at the
> back?
> When I'm not so bussy with work I'll take more time to search.
>
> Thanks again.
> Roger

Yes, tar boards on each side.
Old February 22nd 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

All pretty good ideas so far.

Easiest tho is to take the non-working sucker off and throw it away!

That method usually worked for me and my '67 bug "Junk Heap".
(it was lighter than stock, believe it?

Alvin in AZ
ps- I see lots of familiar names still hanggin out here
Old May 8th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

"bug '59" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> Hi all,
>
> the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life.
> Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light.
> Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something else
> to check?
> Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights?
> It's for my '73
>
> TIA,
> Roger

I feel sooo stupid..

MOT for both bug's is this friday.
So I had to make time to fix the license plate light.
Opened the taillights to see what side is used for the license plate.. no
luck
Opened left tar board to see if there was something... yuk PO did a mayor
screw-up with an alarm, but.... no luck
Opened right tar board to see if there was something.. BINGO, 2 ground
terminals almost eaten away.
Ah, that had to be the culprit...

Euh, no. In the end it turned out to be the lightbulb!! Took it out and it
LOOKED ok.
Changed the lightbulb and "then there was light"

Turnes out that the poster <bad news> had good advice

Thanks all,
Roger