94 Explorer giving lean on both banks

Old April 26th 05, 01:48 AM
jffclmn

Default 94 Explorer giving lean on both banks

I have a 94 Explorer with the V-6. Will not run at full throttle, sometimes
will fall flat at hiway speed. New wires and plugs, TPS, O2 sensors. I was
getting low voltage and lean on both banks. Changed both O2 sensors and
now am getting lean on both banks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old April 26th 05, 11:50 PM
Craig

My 94 had similar symptoms, and other problems with auto transmission
shifting/lockup. It ended up to be no more than a badly fouled Mass Air
Flow Sensor. I cleaned it and all problems went away. They don't
recommend cleaning, but I have been CAREFULLY cleaning mine every year
or so for 190K miles with only great results. Lots posted on that issue.

Old April 28th 05, 01:45 AM
jffclmn

Will give it a shot. Not getting any readings on the MAF sensor but I am
getting at the end of my rope so I'll try it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old April 30th 05, 12:10 AM
jffclmn

Thanks that fixed it. All I went thorough and it was only a nickels worth
of carb cleaner and some compressed air.
Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Old May 2nd 05, 01:08 AM
Craig

Great. It's nice to know it worked out for you. By the way, I use a
small artists brush and non residual cleaner like throttle body
cleaner. Have a great weekend. Craig

Old May 4th 05, 09:55 PM
The Punisher

Can somebody give me some pic on how to do it please? Do and how I remove
the sensor? Screws are weird. Please post on my e-mail, please remove the
*nospam*. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
Regards

Marc

oups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 06:57 AM
Happy Traveler

The screws holding the MAF sensor are 'Tamper Proof' (also called
'Security') Torx. There is a pin in the center of the star-shaped socket,
requiring a T20 bit with a center hole. You should be able to find a set of
those for about $10 in many auto stores. In a pinch, you can grab the heads
with locking pliers or cut a slot for a screwdriver through the center with
a hacksaw, then and replace the screws with regular ones when you are done
cleaning the sensor (they are metric, but I don't recall the size). Your MAF
will no longer be 'secure', but there is probably no need to worry about
voiding the warranty on a '94 model...

.. .