radio static - 1998 XJ

Old November 26th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ

Default radio static - 1998 XJ

TIA for any replies.

Ofd course, I could listen to only FM, but when tuned to AM I find
that the reception sometimes will deliver static through my speakers -
sometimes it's less when I am braking, sometimes it increases when I
touch the brakes.

So, I suspected that this was some kind of grounding problem with the
tail/brake lamps, so I removed the LH (driver's) rear trim panel and
removed & greased all grounds with di-electric grease. Next, I pulled
the radio unit & greased all connectors. Also the ground strap on the
firewall and any other ground under the hood that I saw.

So, please, what are your suggestions? I have a meter, but have not
checked for any particular values - not knowing what to look for.
Thanks for any help.

JS
1998 XJ
Old November 26th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9141_]

It usual is bad ignition wires and/or incorrect resistor spark plugs. Or
you are underneath high power lines.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9147_]

Old November 26th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

98XJ <> wrote:

> TIA for any replies.
>
> Ofd course, I could listen to only FM, but when tuned to AM I find
> that the reception sometimes will deliver static through my speakers -
> sometimes it's less when I am braking, sometimes it increases when I
> touch the brakes.
>
> So, I suspected that this was some kind of grounding problem with the
> tail/brake lamps, so I removed the LH (driver's) rear trim panel and
> removed & greased all grounds with di-electric grease. Next, I pulled
> the radio unit & greased all connectors. Also the ground strap on the
> firewall and any other ground under the hood that I saw.
>
> So, please, what are your suggestions? I have a meter, but have not
> checked for any particular values - not knowing what to look for.
> Thanks for any help.

The ignition noise is probably the best answer but I just fixed the same
problem on my 88 MJ and your comment about "touching" the brakes rang a
bell. I could generate the static at will by pushing the brake pedal just
right. Then I noticed that I had to put a fair amount of pressure on the
pedal to get the brake lights to come on. Put two and two together then
changed the brake switch. Noise gone, brake lights work. The contacts
inside the switch were corroded and it took extra pressure to get a good
contact.

Weird problem. If I hadn't been listen to a weak AM station, I might still
be looking for the problem with my brake lights! Gotta love 20 year old
vehicles....

--
Will Honea

Old November 26th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9201_]

Sixty one: http://billhughes.com/pismo.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 27th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ

>> The ignition noise is probably the best answer but I just fixed the same
>> problem on my 88 MJ and your comment about "touching" the brakes rang a
>> bell. I could generate the static at will by pushing the brake pedal just
>> right. Then I noticed that I had to put a fair amount of pressure on the
>> pedal to get the brake lights to come on. Put two and two together then
>> changed the brake switch. Noise gone, brake lights work. The contacts
>> inside the switch were corroded and it took extra pressure to get a good
>> contact.
>>
>> Weird problem. If I hadn't been listen to a weak AM station, I might still
>> be looking for the problem with my brake lights! Gotta love 20 year old
>> vehicles....

Thanks Will and Jeff. The brake switch is a relatively recent
replacement. I'll clean & grease the contacts.

It's been over 70,000 miles since I replaced the plug wires &
distributor cap, so perhaps it's time.

I'll report back with any results. Thanks, again.

Jim
Old November 27th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

98XJ wrote:

> Thanks Will and Jeff. The brake switch is a relatively recent
> replacement. I'll clean & grease the contacts.
>
> It's been over 70,000 miles since I replaced the plug wires &
> distributor cap, so perhaps it's time.

Jumper the engine block to the battery ground. Corrosion in the engine
ground strap can cause a lot of noise.

--
DougW

Old November 28th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:11:43 -0500, 98XJ <> wrote:

>>> The ignition noise is probably the best answer but I just fixed the same
>>> problem on my 88 MJ and your comment about "touching" the brakes rang a
>>> bell. I could generate the static at will by pushing the brake pedal just
>>> right. Then I noticed that I had to put a fair amount of pressure on the
>>> pedal to get the brake lights to come on. Put two and two together then
>>> changed the brake switch. Noise gone, brake lights work. The contacts
>>> inside the switch were corroded and it took extra pressure to get a good
>>> contact.
>>>
>>> Weird problem. If I hadn't been listen to a weak AM station, I might still
>>> be looking for the problem with my brake lights! Gotta love 20 year old
>>> vehicles....
>>>

>Thanks Will and Jeff. The brake switch is a relatively recent
>replacement. I'll clean & grease the contacts.
>
>It's been over 70,000 miles since I replaced the plug wires &
>distributor cap, so perhaps it's time.
>
>I'll report back with any results. Thanks, again.
>
>Jim

After thinking about the replies, it occured to me that I probably
left a wrong impression. That is, the static is random in sound - it
is not the sound of engine RPMs, or anything like that - just static
in the atmosphere.

Jim
Old November 28th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:31:10 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>98XJ wrote:
>
>> Thanks Will and Jeff. The brake switch is a relatively recent
>> replacement. I'll clean & grease the contacts.
>>
>> It's been over 70,000 miles since I replaced the plug wires &
>> distributor cap, so perhaps it's time.

>Jumper the engine block to the battery ground. Corrosion in the engine
>ground strap can cause a lot of noise.

Thanks, Doug.

Jim
Old November 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9270_]

Switch to Modulated Frequencies. ;-)
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O