leather versus cloth in lx-v6/ex-v6

Old January 31st 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default leather versus cloth in lx-v6/ex-v6

Just wanted to get anyone's feedback who would like to share regarding
preference for leather or cloth seats. I'm going to go with either an
LX-V6 (cloth) or an EX-V6 (leather).

I know the EX-V6 now has heated front seats. But I still hear
observations from some that leather can be very hot in summer and even
with seat heaters cool in winter (though I'd guess the heaters warm
that up quickly.)

Can anyone share if this was a problem for them or pros/cons for
leather and cloth?

Drew

Old January 31st 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Drew wrote:
> Just wanted to get anyone's feedback who would like to share regarding
> preference for leather or cloth seats. I'm going to go with either an
> LX-V6 (cloth) or an EX-V6 (leather).
>
> I know the EX-V6 now has heated front seats. But I still hear
> observations from some that leather can be very hot in summer and even
> with seat heaters cool in winter (though I'd guess the heaters warm
> that up quickly.)
>
> Can anyone share if this was a problem for them or pros/cons for
> leather and cloth?
>
> Drew

do you drive hard? of so, leather is not for you. sliding around on
leather seats is both fatiguing and potentially dangerous. besides,
"leather" seats are usually coated with a thin plastic layer to make
their initial appearance easy to maintain. would you drive with a
plastic bag on your seats? can't say i care to.
Old January 31st 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:48:13 -0500, Drew > wrote:

>Just wanted to get anyone's feedback who would like to share regarding
>preference for leather or cloth seats. I'm going to go with either an
>LX-V6 (cloth) or an EX-V6 (leather).
>
>I know the EX-V6 now has heated front seats. But I still hear
>observations from some that leather can be very hot in summer and even
>with seat heaters cool in winter (though I'd guess the heaters warm
>that up quickly.)
>
>Can anyone share if this was a problem for them or pros/cons for
>leather and cloth?
>
>Drew

Personally, I would never own another vehicle without leather seats.
All of the furniture in our living room is also leather. We hate it
when we get into someone else's car with cloth seats. We find it
difficult to get in after being used to leather.

As far as heat and cold, we live in Arizona. Doesn't get much hotter
than that. And we drive in the snow country. Leather may seem hot
when you first sit on it in hot weather, and cold in cold weather, but
it neutralizes within seconds so you don't feel it. I can't say
enough about leather seats in automobiles. Love 'em.

Dick
Old January 31st 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

All of our cars are leather for the last 12 years including a 2005 Accord
and 2006 Odyssey. Most cloth seats in cars suck these days though Honda
cloth in the new civic seemed nice. Once you get leather it is hard to go
back to cloth. The minivan in particular has terrific leather seats.

Old January 31st 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Both of our cars have leather seats--our AccordEXv6 with the heated
seats is great--comfortable, supportive and the heat works great. We
have not found the leather to be that hot in the summer, and we will
order leather seats in both our cars from now on.

Ken

Old January 31st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I agree with you Dick. We live in Phoenix, we have been through 2 summers
with our '04 Accord EX-L. , not hotter at all. We are sold on leather

Scott

Old January 31st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

We just bought a Pilot with leather, our first leather...and our first Pilot
as well.
So far the leather seats are nice and comfortable the heat is nice first
thing in the morning.

Old February 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Drew" > wrote in message

> Just wanted to get anyone's feedback who would like to share regarding
> preference for leather or cloth seats. I'm going to go with either an
> LX-V6 (cloth) or an EX-V6 (leather).
>
> I know the EX-V6 now has heated front seats. But I still hear
> observations from some that leather can be very hot in summer and even
> with seat heaters cool in winter (though I'd guess the heaters warm
> that up quickly.)
>
> Can anyone share if this was a problem for them or pros/cons for
> leather and cloth?
>
> Drew

I think it really depends on the quality of the leather. We had leather in
a Lexus RX300 and it was exceptional.and it was not a problem in summer
where we live in middle GA. On the other hand, the 93 Maxima I had years
ago, leather was sticky and hot. The leather in the Hondas I have seen have
not been of the same quality, so I am somewhat ambivalent here. My Prelude
has cloth -- the only way the car came in the U.S. I have seen some
aftermarket leather installations (on Hondas -- Accord LXs) that were top
quality -- better than that found in the EX. I have seriously considered
this option for the Prelude which can cost anywhere from $1000 - $1500.

Old February 1st 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

While everyone seems to favor leather, I'll be the one to favor against it.

I probably will never buy a car with leather for the fact that even with
maintenance and conditioning, there will still be cracks in the seats and won't
look like the day you got them. I wanted to buy a TSX but am not going to buy it
with leather. I've seen the condition of some leather seats that you probably
wouldn't sit in. I won't say cloth seats won't look the same as from day one,
but they will look a lot better in 10 years than leather seats (and with very
little maintenance).

Plus you have to be cautious of anything that may have a rough edge as it may
tear the leather.

Nick

Old February 1st 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I haven't had that experience. There is a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee in
the garage that was purchased new in the fall of 1992. Going on 14
years. Leather looks great. No cracks. We sold a Mercedes 300E that
was 13 years old. The leather still looked new! Have never owned a
car with cloth seats that held up so well. Same goes for the
furniture in our house. We have couches that were purchased in 1986
that you could put in a furniture showroom and wouldn't be able to
tell them from new. Have a Lazy-Boy recliner that is over 20 years
old and still looks great. My vote is still for leather.

Dick

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:05:18 -0500, Nick
> wrote:

>While everyone seems to favor leather, I'll be the one to favor against it.
>
>I probably will never buy a car with leather for the fact that even with
>maintenance and conditioning, there will still be cracks in the seats and won't
>look like the day you got them. I wanted to buy a TSX but am not going to buy it
>with leather. I've seen the condition of some leather seats that you probably
>wouldn't sit in. I won't say cloth seats won't look the same as from day one,
>but they will look a lot better in 10 years than leather seats (and with very
>little maintenance).
>
>Plus you have to be cautious of anything that may have a rough edge as it may
>tear the leather.
>
>Nick
>

>On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:48:13 -0500, Drew > wrote:
>

>>Just wanted to get anyone's feedback who would like to share regarding
>>preference for leather or cloth seats. I'm going to go with either an
>>LX-V6 (cloth) or an EX-V6 (leather).
>>
>>I know the EX-V6 now has heated front seats. But I still hear
>>observations from some that leather can be very hot in summer and even
>>with seat heaters cool in winter (though I'd guess the heaters warm
>>that up quickly.)
>>
>>Can anyone share if this was a problem for them or pros/cons for
>>leather and cloth?
>>
>>Drew

E36: How to reattach leather covered insert on inner door panel? Randy BMW 5 January 29th 06 01:28 AM
Cloth upholstery for E-36 David BMW 7 January 29th 06 12:26 AM
Leather seats with cloth sides? Joe Ford Explorer 1 March 5th 05 08:24 PM
How to get that leather smell in a car? aniram General 0 August 27th 04 01:53 PM
1994 Leather Sport Seat replacement Charles L. Cotton Corvette 7 August 24th 04 03:07 AM