The plot thickens (KC school bus collision)

Old May 23rd 05, 03:31 PM
Ted B.

> I haven't seen mentioned whether the bus had air brakes or
> hydraulic brakes. The two braking systems handle very differently.
> Some buses have ABS, some don't. Again, this greatly affects the
> handling characteristics of the bus.
>
> Doug
> Bus #26

I haven't seen that mentioned either. What I HAVE seen mentioned (in a
recent news report) is that the bus was inspected (after the collision) by
mechanics who concluded that the brakes (whatever type) were in perfect
operating condition. So this incident boils down to:
A) Driver drives bus (with alleged faulty brakes) completely off a straight
road, through two vehicles on another road
B) Later mechanical inspection revealed nothing wrong with the brakes

Me, I'm wondering what was wrong with the STEERING??? I mean, if the brakes
were OK, then why did the bus leave the road? -Dave

Old May 23rd 05, 10:25 PM
DYM

"Ted B." > wrote in
eenews.net:

>> I haven't seen mentioned whether the bus had air brakes or
>> hydraulic brakes. The two braking systems handle very

differently.
>> Some buses have ABS, some don't. Again, this greatly affects the
>> handling characteristics of the bus.
>>
>> Doug
>> Bus #26

> I haven't seen that mentioned either. What I HAVE seen mentioned

(in
> a recent news report) is that the bus was inspected (after the
> collision) by mechanics who concluded that the brakes (whatever

type)
> were in perfect operating condition. So this incident boils down

to:
> A) Driver drives bus (with alleged faulty brakes) completely off

> straight road, through two vehicles on another road
> B) Later mechanical inspection revealed nothing wrong with the

brakes

> Me, I'm wondering what was wrong with the STEERING??? I mean, if

the
> brakes were OK, then why did the bus leave the road? -Dave

I feel that only the driver will be able to say for sure.
Unfortunately she won't be talking. I would doubt there was a
mechanical failure. But it is the driver's responsibility to
inspect their vehicle at the start of each day. That said, I'm not
sure I could reliably spot every defect that can happen to the
steering linkage.

I've had brake failures in both hydraulic and air brake buses. The
hydraulic brakes, the peddle just went to the floor. No warning.
However, I had been sitting for ten minutes at a layover and hadn't
even got the bus going.

The most common failure for air brakes is loss of air pressure. The
bus will stop when this happens as the air pressure keeps the
brakes from engaging.

I've yet to hear anything of the results of alcohol/drug tests that
would/should have been done.

The regular route may have been to go stright at that intersection,
but this isn't a trasit bus. If there is a reasonable explaination,
a driver can detour.

Doug
Bus #26
Old May 23rd 05, 11:10 PM
Dave

> I've yet to hear anything of the results of alcohol/drug tests that
> would/should have been done.
>
> The regular route may have been to go stright at that intersection,
> but this isn't a trasit bus. If there is a reasonable explaination,
> a driver can detour.
>
> Doug
> Bus #26

I don't think the driver was intending to detour. If she had been meaning
to turn right, she would have noticed any (alleged) brake problems long
before she reached the intersection. (plenty of time to change her mind
and stick to her usual course) Also, if you pull up maps or satellite of
that intersection, you will notice that turning right (if the driver wanted
to detour by turning right) would have meant turning (roughly) 135 degrees.
It's almost as close to a "U" turn as it is to a right angle. You wouldn't
even think about it unless the bus was approaching the intersection VERY
slowly. And one of the few known facts of this case is that the bus was
apparently travelling at a high rate of speed when it reached the
intersection. It's my opinion that the driver was planning to go straight,
but somehow managed to drive all the way off the road. I think it is
coincidence only that the bus left the road at an intersection. A few
seconds earlier or later, and the bus would have simply rolled over in the
ditch. IMHO No, I have no reasonable explanation as to why the bus left
the road. Brakes were fine, though driver claims otherwise. Steering was
probably fine. What does that leave . . . ??? I can't help but keep
thinking even IF the brakes were bad, what caused the bus to leave the
road??? I mean, if the brakes are bad, wouldn't the obvious result be that
the bus crossed the intersection faster than the driver intended, but STAYED
ON THE ROAD??? -Dave

Old May 25th 05, 01:54 AM
The Real Bev

"Ted B." wrote:

> > A cover-up??? AAAGGHHH. You must be a conspiracy theorist and that is
> > un-american. In the US of A, only sheep are allowed.

> Well, then you explain how a bus going straight down the straight road,
> intending to go straight through an intersection on a solid green signal,
> experiences (alleged brake failure) and then veers completely off the road,
> crossing another road (through a couple of stopped cars) and lands in the
> ditch. I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just mighty darned
> ODD, given the known facts. (note: I said given the KNOWN facts) -Dave

What if the bus driver dropped something (sandwich, cigarette, lipstick,
phone, map) and reached down to pick it up? If you were that bus driver would
you admit you did something that stupid?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 25th 05, 02:24 PM
Ted B.

>> Well, then you explain how a bus going straight down the straight road,
>> intending to go straight through an intersection on a solid green signal,
>> experiences (alleged brake failure) and then veers completely off the
>> road,
>> crossing another road (through a couple of stopped cars) and lands in the
>> ditch. I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just mighty
>> darned
>> ODD, given the known facts. (note: I said given the KNOWN facts) -Dave

> What if the bus driver dropped something (sandwich, cigarette, lipstick,
> phone, map) and reached down to pick it up? If you were that bus driver
> would
> you admit you did something that stupid?

You could be on to something. Latest reports I read stated that brakes
tested fine after the incident. I still can't help but think that there is
SOMETHING about this incident that has not been reported, yet. Don't know
what that something might be, but what little was released about this
incident is just bizarre, as it doesn't add up at all. Another wierd fact .
.. . the driver's SHOES were taken by the (NTSC?) for testing. (?!?) -Dave