UAW forced to be paid as a Southern Foreign factory worker.

Old December 30th 08, 02:47 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Rock Hardson

Default UAW forced to be paid as a Southern Foreign factory worker.

"Mark A" > wrote in message
.. .
> "80 Knight" <nospam> wrote in message
>> So, what would happen if GM, Ford, and Chrysler went under, and WWIII
>> started? Sure, Japan are our "friends" now, but what would happen if
>> they were on the opposite side of the US? Do you think they would supply
>> us with the tools and equipment we would need to kick there own asses?
>> "Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it...Those who fail
>> to learn it correctly, why they are simply doomed".

> Making cars is not rocket science. Anyway, the foreign car companies have
> plants in the US, and if Japan every was at war with the US (probably the
> least likely country besides UK to be at war with US), then we can take
> their plants over.
>
> If we are at war with Japan, we are not going to kick their asses with
> cars.

Lets see you build a car or any other vehicle for that matter? If you do
lets see you build hundreds and hundreds in a days time. When people began
to make excuses for ignorance then we are really in trouble.

Old December 30th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Rock Hardson

"Mark A" > wrote in message
.. .
> "A Plumbers Helper Named Joe" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> Sure we could take over there factories even with there technology,
>> because the US would be rusty since they will no longer be innovators.
>> The US would be dumbed down when it comes to manufacturing because
>> some saw fit to shut them down when things got economicaly tight. Just
>> throw the baby out with the bath water.

> Even though a lot of products are made overseas, they are engineered in
> the US. Same applies to the most sophisticated auto assembly plants, like
> the Ford plant in Brazil.

And they will be the first targets they hit. Hell I could fly a Cessna
through Brazil airspace and drop a bomb out the door unopposed without the
any AA fire. They would be sitting ducks.

Old December 30th 08, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Rock Hardson

"Mark A" > wrote in message
.. .
> "80 Knight" <nospam> wrote in message
>> So, are you saying that if the Big3 go under, Toyota is going to hire
>> people in the US to build there plants in Japan and Mexico? Get a grip
>> on reality, please.

> I didn't say anything of the kind. Nor was I specifically addressing the
> auto industry. Go back and read my post.
>
> BTW, if the Big3 go under (unlikely they would go into liquidation),
> Toyota is not going to build more plants in Japan.
>
> I really get tired of a bunch a whining union members claiming that if we
> don't save the Big3 then the US will loose it manufacturing base, which
> would have some sort of catastrophic effect on the US. They don't complain
> when non-union software development has been shipped offshore, or when the
> US is not allowed to develop its own energy resources and buy cheap oil
> from foreign countries instead.

Again software is not an industrial manufacturing base, they are paper
pushers. They build nothing.

Old December 30th 08, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Rock Hardson" > wrote in message
s.com...
> So you compare a $200 Intel product with a $30,000 product? Since when has
> Intel become an Industrial manufacturing base?? Your lack of logic is
> amazing simply to support your case.

Building a car is much simpler than building a CPU. The technology that goes
into manufacturing a CPU goes far, far beyond a car, irrespective of the
fact that cars now contain several microprocessors.

There is a reason why GM, Ford, and Chrysler have lots of competition and
the only Intel competitor for desktop processors is AMD. A lot of foreign
governments would like to get their hands on the technology to build CPUs,
which are restricted to be exported to some countries in the interest of US
national security. I don't think there are any restrictions on exporting a
GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicle.

I appreciate that you probably have vested interest in the survival of GM,
Ford, and Chrysler, but you are so far off base in your conclusion, that it
is even hard to have a rational discussion about it.

Old December 30th 08, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Rock Hardson

"Mark A" > wrote in message
. ..
> "A Plumbers Helper Named Joe" > wrote in message
> .com...
>>> If everyone was forced to buy gasoline produced from American oil
>>> companies, the price would increase because they would have no (or
>>> little)
>>> competition.

> That is because there were import quotas and tarrifs on Japanese cars
> being imported into the US.
>
>> That job loss would have nowhere the effect if the US auto industry
>> were
>> to shut down. Sure 500, 000 is a lot but its not 3 million.

> It really matters of where you live. People in the South, Southwest, and
> West don't care about job losses in the rust belt, and vis versa.

Oh they would care about this one. Unless you are rich and isolated, every
corner of the US will feel it to some degree, not immediatly but you will
see and feel it.

Old December 30th 08, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Rock Hardson" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Lets see you build a car or any other vehicle for that matter? If you do
> lets see you build hundreds and hundreds in a days time. When people began
> to make excuses for ignorance then we are really in trouble.

Many, many cars are made in the US by companies other than GM, Ford, or
Chrysler. I am not necessarily in favor of them going out of business, but I
would like to see them in Chapter 11 reorganization so that they can create
a sustainable business model.

If no one in the US bought a new car for 2 years, the US would not collapse
because of lack of new cars (but it obviously would suffer because of high
unemployment if the auto manufacturers went out of business). New cars are
mostly a luxury item and we really don't need to keep buying or making as
many new ones as we do now.

Old December 30th 08, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Rock Hardson" > wrote in message
s.com...
> And they will be the first targets they hit. Hell I could fly a Cessna
> through Brazil airspace and drop a bomb out the door unopposed without the
> any AA fire. They would be sitting ducks.

The Japanese? So you are saying that Japan is likely to have a war with the
US, and that they will bomb the Ford plant in Brazil.

I think you forgot to take your meds today.

Old December 30th 08, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Rock Hardson" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Again software is not an industrial manufacturing base, they are paper
> pushers. They build nothing.

Sorry you feel that way. Building software systems is building something
IMO. In fact, not a single manufacturing plant or CNC machine would run
without software systems.

Not a single cruise missile would hit its target without very complex
software systems. Without software, our missiles would have the accuracy of
a Scud missile.

I realize you are probably a blue collar worker, but your ignorance is
astonishing.

Old December 30th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Rock Hardson" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Oh they would care about this one. Unless you are rich and isolated, every
> corner of the US will feel it to some degree, not immediatly but you will
> see and feel it.

I agree that everyone would feel it to some degree, but how come auto
workers don't care when people in the Southwest loose their jobs?

Old December 30th 08, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:02:25 -0500, "Mike Hunter"
<mikehunt2@lycos/com> wrote:

>Americans will never learn. The American government put the American steel
>companies out of business by allowing foreign steel to flood the US market
>with low price steel, made overseas in more modern steel plants, built after
>WWII by the US taxpayers, in counties where the governments subsidies the
>steel companies like they do their auto industries!

Of course, the Big Three never complained about that cheap foreign
steel, did they?

>The steelworkers union gave concession after concession to the American
>steel companies in an effort to save THEIR jobs but the American steel
>companies went out of business anyway and were bought our by foreign steel
>companies for pennies on the dollar. The foreign owners then raised the
>price of steel to its highest price in history and still pay the steelworks
>under the old contract terms.
>
>Today the taxpayers in southern states are doing the very same thing
>building assembly plants for Japanese and European car manufactures that are
>subsided by their governments.

I don't think Honda, et al are going to let the good ol' boys build
their assembly plants, but they take all kinds of concessions from the
state and local governments. Lots of liberals complained about states
giving tax breaks to corporations, but we were told to shut up because
this was the free market.

>If President Bush had allowed our last remaining major defense industry to
>go out of business we would need to get our tanks for overseas

This is the biggest horse **** excuse for bailing out the car
companies. Honda, Toyota, et al have US plants that could build tanks
just as well (better) than the domestic companies.

Mike, you are caught in the middle. The liberals (or at least a lot
of them) want to save the American companies to preserve American jobs
and the union. The (so called) conservative leaders don't give a crap
about those jobs and they positively despise the unions. So Mike,
which side are you on?