Watching an old movie tonight...

Old May 25th 05, 04:48 AM
Paul

Default Watching an old movie tonight...

"Smokey and the Bandit," for those who are interested and I had a couple
of thoughts during the movie

First, watching Burt Reynolds in that Trans-Am humiliating all those
revenue officers errr.... police officers was endlessly hilarious.

Second, the pristine condition of some of the interstate highways used in
the movie caught my attention. Shows how old that movie really is...

--
"Duck or you'll be talking out of your ass!"
--Buford T. Justice
Old May 25th 05, 06:41 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Yeah, I was disappointed to hit the TV Guide channel last night and see
that I'd pretty much missed it.

I liked it back in the day -- and except for such details as the speed
limit (a younger generation might view it as a horror movie) and the
unavailability of Coors back east, think it has aged gracefully. The
director and cast brought some genuine heart to what could have been
just a full employment program for stunt drivers.

What it did for the proliferation of CB radios and Trans Ams with giany
gooneybird graphics on the hood... well...

> the pristine condition of some of the interstate
> highways used in the movie caught my attention.
> Shows how old that movie really is...

If memory further serves, the Deep South was home to some of the last
stretches of the original Interstate system to be pushed through.
And of course a well-made highway ages better there, by and large -- it
doesn't get hit as badly by the frost-heaving and ubiquitous potholes
of the rustbelt, the pizza oven heat of the low desert, the ground
motion of California, etc.

--Joe