radiator glue fix

Old November 21st 15, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default radiator glue fix

I've got a small hole near the top of the radiator in my 94 Saturn SL2.
A friend thinks some glue, JB Weld, should fix it.

There is an exposed ridge, possibly where the upper left section is mated to the lower left side.

I was giving someone a jump start at night and had the hood open. I knew there was a leak and looked with a flashlight. I laughed at myself. I thought "why is there a yellow wire sticking out from the radiator". It was a 3mm stream shooting out horizontally.

It comes out from under that joint-ridge, which feels like some kind of plastic. They guy recommending glue has lots of glue and paint experience.

The damage may be yet another follow-on from the accident many weeks ago.

Any doubts, complaints?

Nils K. Hammer
Old November 21st 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I've got a small hole near the top of the radiator in my 94 Saturn SL2.
>A friend thinks some glue, JB Weld, should fix it.=20

Maybe, it can't hurt. The problem is that to get the stuff to stick, you
have to get the surfaces completely clean and dry. Acetone might do it.

>There is an exposed ridge, possibly where the upper left section is mated t=
>o the lower left side.=20

Once it starts leaking there, you might be able to fix it, but it's just
delaying the inevitable and it will start leaking elsewhere.

>The damage may be yet another follow-on from the accident many weeks ago.
>
>Any doubts, complaints?

It won't hurt to try it, but don't expect it to be a long-term fix.
--scott

Old November 22nd 15, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

On 21 Nov 2015 15:11:24 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> > wrote:
>>I've got a small hole near the top of the radiator in my 94 Saturn SL2.
>>A friend thinks some glue, JB Weld, should fix it.=20

>Maybe, it can't hurt. The problem is that to get the stuff to stick, you
>have to get the surfaces completely clean and dry. Acetone might do it.

If getting it dry is the problem, at least when the wetness is caused
by water, you can use PC-70 even when things are wet. I applied it to
a sink drain with a pretty big hole in it, in a sink that had more
than a drip, almost a stream coming out of the spigot. I had to keep
pushing the PC-70 up when it sagged, but in few minutes it set and the
drain pipe didn't leak anymore. I woudlnt' be surprised if it works
with antifreeze too, though I would wipe it off.

It was probably dirty too, and I didnt' make any effort to clean it.
Not in that case or any other time.

It's also less liquidy than JB weld. Probably wouldn't have sagged
if it weren't for the running water.

Best to buy in two 4-oz cans. If youre careful to not let one part
touch the other, the unused parts will last for 20 years and look and
work as good as new.

Old November 22nd 15, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 4:13:04 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2015 15:11:24 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
> > > wrote:
> >>I've got a small hole near the top of the radiator in my 94 Saturn SL2.
> >>A friend thinks some glue, JB Weld, should fix it.=20

> >Maybe, it can't hurt. The problem is that to get the stuff to stick, you
> >have to get the surfaces completely clean and dry. Acetone might do it.

> If getting it dry is the problem, at least when the wetness is caused
> by water, you can use PC-70 even when things are wet. I applied it to
> a sink drain with a pretty big hole in it, in a sink that had more
> than a drip, almost a stream coming out of the spigot. I had to keep
> pushing the PC-70 up when it sagged, but in few minutes it set and the
> drain pipe didn't leak anymore. I woudlnt' be surprised if it works
> with antifreeze too, though I would wipe it off.
>
> It was probably dirty too, and I didnt' make any effort to clean it.
> Not in that case or any other time.
>
> It's also less liquidy than JB weld. Probably wouldn't have sagged
> if it weren't for the running water.
>
> Best to buy in two 4-oz cans. If youre careful to not let one part
> touch the other, the unused parts will last for 20 years and look and
> work as good as new.
>
> >>There is an exposed ridge, possibly where the upper left section is mated t=
> >>o the lower left side.=20

> >Once it starts leaking there, you might be able to fix it, but it's just
> >delaying the inevitable and it will start leaking elsewhere.
> >
> >>The damage may be yet another follow-on from the accident many weeks ago.
> >>
> >>Any doubts, complaints?

> >It won't hurt to try it, but don't expect it to be a long-term fix.
> >--scott

Google,,, PC-70 Adhesive It is good to know about that stuff.

Removal of hot glue Catman Alfa Romeo 0 August 20th 07 07:26 AM
Plastic Glue Yme VW water cooled 0 March 20th 07 07:41 PM
Glue on headliner Bruce Fraser VW air cooled 3 May 1st 06 04:42 AM
Polyurethane glue foams on plastic radiator. Sam Nickaby Technology 8 March 1st 06 03:57 AM
Glue for Bezels? Jim M Corvette 0 March 11th 05 02:12 PM