#($*%*(@#( alternator

Old October 8th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Default #($*%*(@#( alternator

For the first time ever I had to have my beloved 'fat chic' towed
home. Saturday I was out tooling around paying bills when I hear a
bang, and several ExpensiveNoises from the engine compartment.

I remove myself from the roadway and find that the threaded section of
my alternator shaft decided it wanted a divorce from the rest of the
alternator, fortunately the rear pulley half was flung out of harms
way and no shims escaped the engine compartment.

So I buy a 'rebuilt' alternator at autozone, which arrived today. It
is a bosch 4 wire. I am replacing a motorola 4 wire. Now my engine is
on the ground, fan shroud off, alternator in my hand.

I shim out the fan to fit the shroud with the new alternator and
tighten the fan retaining nut. So far, so good.

Having done that I see that the front of the alternator has a 'recess'
for lack of a better term between the shaft and the front bearing
race. It looks like there should be a shim in there, and perhaps the
overhaul people forgot to include it, but the shim from the motorola
alternator does not fit, and the picture from the not-so-helpful
install directions included with my rebuilt unit show that "recess" I
am talking about here, leading me to believe that I am supposed to
remove a part from my existing unit and put it on the new one. The
problem is my 'old piece' doesn't fit the new alternator.

Unless something on the shaft protrudes slightly from the front
bearing cover, I have a problem, because as soon as I put the pulley
adapter on the shaft it his the front of the alternator case.
Obviously, it cannot work like this.

Anyone run into this before?

Chris
Old October 8th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

wrote:
> For the first time ever I had to have my beloved 'fat chic' towed
> home. Saturday I was out tooling around paying bills when I hear a
> bang, and several ExpensiveNoises from the engine compartment.
>
> I remove myself from the roadway and find that the threaded section of
> my alternator shaft decided it wanted a divorce from the rest of the
> alternator, fortunately the rear pulley half was flung out of harms
> way and no shims escaped the engine compartment.
>
> So I buy a 'rebuilt' alternator at autozone, which arrived today. It
> is a bosch 4 wire. I am replacing a motorola 4 wire. Now my engine is
> on the ground, fan shroud off, alternator in my hand.
>
> I shim out the fan to fit the shroud with the new alternator and
> tighten the fan retaining nut. So far, so good.
>
> Having done that I see that the front of the alternator has a 'recess'
> for lack of a better term between the shaft and the front bearing
> race. It looks like there should be a shim in there, and perhaps the
> overhaul people forgot to include it, but the shim from the motorola
> alternator does not fit, and the picture from the not-so-helpful
> install directions included with my rebuilt unit show that "recess" I
> am talking about here, leading me to believe that I am supposed to
> remove a part from my existing unit and put it on the new one. The
> problem is my 'old piece' doesn't fit the new alternator.
>
> Unless something on the shaft protrudes slightly from the front
> bearing cover, I have a problem, because as soon as I put the pulley
> adapter on the shaft it his the front of the alternator case.
> Obviously, it cannot work like this.
>
> Anyone run into this before?
>
> Chris

Yup, it takes a small spacer ring that gets pinched between the pulley
hub and the bearing inner race which all turn with the shaft. Sorry to
hear it was missing, maybe contact the seller?

Old October 8th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> For the first time ever I had to have my beloved 'fat chic' towed
> home. Saturday I was out tooling around paying bills when I hear a
> bang, and several ExpensiveNoises from the engine compartment.
>
> I remove myself from the roadway and find that the threaded section of
> my alternator shaft decided it wanted a divorce from the rest of the
> alternator, fortunately the rear pulley half was flung out of harms
> way and no shims escaped the engine compartment.
>
> So I buy a 'rebuilt' alternator at autozone, which arrived today. It
> is a bosch 4 wire. I am replacing a motorola 4 wire. Now my engine is
> on the ground, fan shroud off, alternator in my hand.
>
> I shim out the fan to fit the shroud with the new alternator and
> tighten the fan retaining nut. So far, so good.
>
> Having done that I see that the front of the alternator has a 'recess'
> for lack of a better term between the shaft and the front bearing
> race. It looks like there should be a shim in there, and perhaps the
> overhaul people forgot to include it, but the shim from the motorola
> alternator does not fit, and the picture from the not-so-helpful
> install directions included with my rebuilt unit show that "recess" I
> am talking about here, leading me to believe that I am supposed to
> remove a part from my existing unit and put it on the new one. The
> problem is my 'old piece' doesn't fit the new alternator.
>
> Unless something on the shaft protrudes slightly from the front
> bearing cover, I have a problem, because as soon as I put the pulley
> adapter on the shaft it his the front of the alternator case.
> Obviously, it cannot work like this.
>
> Anyone run into this before?
>
> Chris

yes... there is a spacer that fits into the recess.... the problem you have
is, the Motorola didn't have this, so you can't swap it over... I'd suggest
going back to autozone to see if they can either contact the rebuilder about
the shim or if it's available(or even if they can get the proper Motorola
unit)... if not, maybe a vw retailer could provide one...not sure autozone
and their nearly untrained(in my area anyway) parts monkeys will be any
help... if all else fails maybe look on thesamba.com in the classified
section or place a wanted ad...

Old October 8th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> > Unless something on the shaft protrudes slightly from the front
> > bearing cover, I have a problem, because as soon as I put the pulley
> > adapter on the shaft it his the front of the alternator case.
> > Obviously, it cannot work like this.

> > Anyone run into this before?

> > Chris

> yes... there is a spacer that fits into the recess.... the problem you have
> is, the Motorola didn't have this, so you can't swap it over... I'd suggest

Well, there is a spacer on the motorola shaft, I was able to persuade
it off last night. But on the motorola 4 wire deal, the bearing is
both recessed further into the front case than the bosch, and the hole
in the front case is larger than that of the bosch unit, so while I
can take the spacer out, it will not work for a bosch unit.

There is another spacer on the back of the motorola unit that is
closer to what is needed, so I tried it on the front of the bosch unit
but it is too thick, it covers part of the woodruff keyway, so that
won't work either.

Unit #2 is on order, hopefully it includes the necessary shims/
spacers. I shouldn't have to modify parts to make this damn thing
work.

Damn rebuilt parts, I could go to a single wire version and buy a
brand new bosch, but I want to keep the car as original as possible
and stick with the 4 wire unit, at least until the regulator goes
kaput. I don't think you can get that external regulator anywhere any
longer.....

Chris
Old October 9th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> . I don't think you can get that external regulator anywhere any
> longer.....
>
> Chris

it is still available and between 50-75 dollars depending on who you get it
from.

Was it really my alternator? [email protected] Technology 7 June 19th 07 10:14 PM
alternator? randy pape Technology 1 December 16th 06 05:43 PM
Honda Accord LX alternator intermittent - ECU or Alternator? [email protected] Honda 6 December 11th 05 01:42 AM
94 GT alternator q Ford Mustang 3 June 15th 05 11:35 PM
95 YJ alternator...again Old Crow Jeep 22 January 19th 05 10:59 AM