"No garage" classic car insurance available?

Old November 4th 04, 07:36 PM
MATT S.

Default "No garage" classic car insurance available?

Hi,

I'm looking to insure my soon to be 1955 bug. I will NOT be putting
2,500 miles/year on the car, it will be driven to shows and for
lesiurely drives only. However since my wife's car has 'custody" of
the garage ( part of our deal for me to get this car) I therfore, do
not have a garage to keep it in.

I was sure I saw some recent postings from people here who mentioned
1 or 2 classic car insurance companies that did not require the car to
be garaged. I was wondering if anyone could provide me the
names/conact information. I've searched RAMVA archives for quite a
while and could not find the info.

My only other option would be to rent out a garage or space - and this
can get a little pricey

Thanks

Matt S

- sorry if this as posted 2x, first time it did not seem as if it
went through
Old November 5th 04, 10:03 PM
Charlie R.

Not sure that I ever remember seeing classic car insurance without the
garage requirement.

I do seem to remember that almost all classic insurance requires that the
vehicle be kept in a locked garage and do not specify where.
I believe a few companies even require that the garage be located at your
primary residence. This excludes rental garages and Lock-N-Store facilities.

Good Luck with your search.

Charlie

Old November 6th 04, 12:53 AM
Mike64Bug

It's possible that your regular car insurer would cover it under some sort of "antique car" policy. I had my '59 Beetle
insured with State Farm. They offer coverage for vehicles that have historic or antique tags and I don't recall them
ever asking about it being garaged. (I may be wrong about that) They asked me how much I wanted to insure it for and
they agreed to it. My agent took pictures for his records.

Old November 6th 04, 02:11 PM
Nate Nagel

MATT S. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to insure my soon to be 1955 bug. I will NOT be putting
> 2,500 miles/year on the car, it will be driven to shows and for
> lesiurely drives only. However since my wife's car has 'custody" of
> the garage ( part of our deal for me to get this car) I therfore, do
> not have a garage to keep it in.
>
> I was sure I saw some recent postings from people here who mentioned
> 1 or 2 classic car insurance companies that did not require the car to
> be garaged. I was wondering if anyone could provide me the
> names/conact information. I've searched RAMVA archives for quite a
> while and could not find the info.
>
> My only other option would be to rent out a garage or space - and this
> can get a little pricey
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt S
>
> - sorry if this as posted 2x, first time it did not seem as if it
> went through

The only one I'm aware of is State Farm...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Saturn Safety, is Great!! [email protected] Saturn 13 June 17th 04 05:37 PM
Classic Car Insurance KRD Antique cars 2 May 5th 04 05:51 PM
Auto Insurance Josh Antique cars 1 April 17th 04 05:56 AM
Classic Cars Needed For Oldies Show 8/16 Long Beach! Thomas Haney Antique cars 0 August 12th 03 05:03 PM
Insurance: Classic vs. regular vs. ???? dodgeboy Antique cars 3 July 30th 03 07:06 AM