2001 TJ rear break squeak, abrupt breaking

Old February 5th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
FW

Default 2001 TJ rear break squeak, abrupt breaking

Hi all,

I have a 2001 TJ Sport in good condition. About 6-8 weeks ago it
rained very heavily for several days in the area I live. I don't have
a garage so the car was exposed to this constant rain the whole time.

Since then, on days when it is wet outside (rain, drizzle or just
generally damp with dew in the morning) I find that my rear breaks
squeak very loudly. Also, when I move at slow speed (in a parking lot
or something) and lightly engage the breaks the rear breaks will
"snap" into action and suddenly lock up my rear wheels.

This only happens on wet days and the rear breaks return to normal
after driving for 10+ minutes and engaging the breaks a few times.
After that the breaks behave normally. I've tried breaking at high
speeds, slow speeds, etc. and all is well. The sudden rear break
"snap" action also does not happen consistently. It seems to happen
mostly on dewy/drizzly days, not rainy days.

I should also note that it generally rains a lot here in winter (south
coast of BC) so I'm not sure if the heavy rain in particular is
related to this.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? I've read a few
messages about people having break squeak on wet days, but how about
the breaks working so abruptly? It seems pretty weird.

- Frank

Old February 5th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

This brake problem is gernerally associated with water in the brakes. I
would not be concerned about it. If you are worried about it inspect the
rear brakes or have a shop do it. Many tire shops do a free brake
inspection.

HTH

Carl

oups.com...

Old February 5th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:52:02 -0800, FW wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 2001 TJ Sport in good condition. About 6-8 weeks ago it
> rained very heavily for several days in the area I live. I don't have
> a garage so the car was exposed to this constant rain the whole time.
>
> Since then, on days when it is wet outside (rain, drizzle or just
> generally damp with dew in the morning) I find that my rear breaks
> squeak very loudly. Also, when I move at slow speed (in a parking lot
> or something) and lightly engage the breaks the rear breaks will
> "snap" into action and suddenly lock up my rear wheels.
>
> This only happens on wet days and the rear breaks return to normal
> after driving for 10+ minutes and engaging the breaks a few times.
> After that the breaks behave normally. I've tried breaking at high
> speeds, slow speeds, etc. and all is well. The sudden rear break
> "snap" action also does not happen consistently. It seems to happen
> mostly on dewy/drizzly days, not rainy days.
>
> I should also note that it generally rains a lot here in winter (south
> coast of BC) so I'm not sure if the heavy rain in particular is
> related to this.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? I've read a few
> messages about people having break squeak on wet days, but how about
> the breaks working so abruptly? It seems pretty weird.

Most likely the rear shoes are taking on moisture which makes them grab
until dried. It could also be a film of rust from the moisture. Its'
been a long time since I've seen it, but shoes that have soaked up brake
fluid were also notorious for this. The latter means a careful check for
a leak, even a small one. It will likely be the wheel cylinder and
you will see fluid when you pull the rubber cover on the end back. Only
sure cure for anything other than rust is to replace the shoes. That's
cheap and reasonably simple. If it is rust and the shoes are good, the
only solution I know of is to move somewhere that doesn't promote rust so
well<g>.

--
Will Honea >
Old February 5th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Richard J Kinch

FW writes:

> Since then, on days when it is wet outside (rain, drizzle or just
> generally damp with dew in the morning) I find that my rear breaks
> squeak very loudly. Also, when I move at slow speed (in a parking lot
> or something) and lightly engage the breaks the rear breaks will
> "snap" into action and suddenly lock up my rear wheels.

Brake worms. We seem them a lot here during the rainy season. Try
sprinkling some Diazanon around the tires while it's parked overnight.
Old February 5th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

FW wrote:

> This only happens on wet days and the rear breaks return to normal
> after driving for 10+ minutes and engaging the breaks a few times.
> After that the breaks behave normally. I've tried breaking at high
> speeds, slow speeds, etc. and all is well. The sudden rear break
> "snap" action also does not happen consistently. It seems to happen
> mostly on dewy/drizzly days, not rainy days.

That's normal for my ZJ. On those days I just drag my brakes a little
to warm them up and dry them off. After that the sudden-stop feature
goes away.

--
DougW

Old February 6th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

Since I had the rear disks installed on my 98 TJ I have the same thing on wet
mornings. Could be heavy dew, light rain, even thick fog and its enough moisture to
set them off. Believe me, the whole area knows when I drive the Jeep to work on
those mornings as I have 2 stop signs and one slow turn - by the time I have gone
thru the three of those (6 blocks maybe) there is no more squeaking for the rest of
the commute to work. If its a heavy rain, no squeaking. Go figure.

I am not sure on the grabbing - I have not had this happen that I recall, on the
other hand, I dont have factory disks either.
-jenn

Old February 7th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Next time you have the rear wheels off, take a file or rasp and put a
slight camfer on the front edge of each shoe. About 1/8 inch is plenty.
A sharp leading edge can cause some weird noises and such.

--
Will Honea >
Old February 8th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/