90 VW Jetta -- Stalled Now Won't Start

Old November 13th 05, 11:29 PM

Default 90 VW Jetta -- Stalled Now Won't Start

Hey everyone,

I have a 90 VW Jetta GL (4 Cylinder) and have a peculiar issue:

It has been well maintained over its life (currently at 201k) and just
the other day I was driving it in cool, normal weather when all of a
sudden after accellerating during a green light I felt as if it was in
4th gear (although I was in 2nd) and sure enough the low oil pressure
light comes on and the steering wheel locks up (engine died). I park
it, make sure there is oil, gas, no leaks and the battery is good...all
check out fine.

Turning the key (but not starting) the low oil pressure light stays on.
Trying to start the car, it starts to turn over then abruptly stops
(not a hard stop...just doesn't turn over fully).

I don't think it is the starter, since I was driving when it happened.
Neither do I believe it is a battery since I can power up everything in
the car just fine (lights, stereo..etc), battery light doesn't come on
and the problem occured while I was driving.

I believe the problem may be the alternator or, after reading a few
posts here already, possibly one of the fuel pumps, although I never
heard the "rough" noise people mentioned regarding fuel pumps.

Any ideas where to start are greatly appreciated, thanks all.

~ Jon

Old November 14th 05, 01:54 AM
westfaliaguy

I had a problem like that with my 88 fox recently and it turned out the
rotor had skipped off the distributor shaft... Just a thought

Old November 14th 05, 03:01 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Turn the engine over with a socket wrench to make sure that it does fully
rotate.
Maybe the timing belt broke and also the engine is hydrolocking.
If the engine does not fully rotate, then remove all spark plugs and try
rotating it again.

Engine has to turn over before all other things matter. ;-)

And report findings!

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

oups.com...

Old November 14th 05, 05:30 PM

Today I'm going to get a new battery, voltage meter and a Chilton's to
see how I can test alternator and (if I have to) test the fuel and oil
pumps. Also will check out the rotor on the distributor.

I change the oil regularly, but haven't done other maintenance in a
while so maybe it could be something as simple as a spark plug issue.

Something that may really clarify the issue:

Just (a couple minutes) before it conked out on me, I had it smogged.
The mechanic mentioned that he had to have it "jump started". And I
should get a new battery or possibly a new alternator. But that
leaves me wondering why the engine light then and not the battery
light?

~ Jon

Old November 14th 05, 05:32 PM

Just something that may be of interest:

I replaced the transmission about 600 miles ago, but any issue
regarding that I'd figure would be a lot more noisy.

Old November 15th 05, 01:18 AM

Problem solved, (changed battery). There is nothing wrong with the
charging system, the alternator puts out enough volts (14v) at the
right amperage.

Dead battery was part of the issue, the other was I noticed that a thin
blue wire (female) that comes out of the same casing as the postive
battery cable got disconnected from a blue wire (male) that seems to
originate from the lower part of the engine block, just behind the
alternator. I think it may be the knock sensor.

In any case she runs fine now, I don't need a new alternator and at
most all I need to do is change the spark plugs, oil and belts.

Although replacing the tranny on it was a real pain in the butt,
overall this car has been really easy to work on and maintain (hell of
a lot better than my last car: 87 LeSabre).

Will defintely look at VWs when I'm browsing for a new car in a couple
of years...thanks for all your ideas.

~ Jon

Old November 15th 05, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The blue wire could be your exciter wire for the alt. if disconected
the battery won't charge.

md