96 Geo Tracker

Old July 25th 05, 06:42 PM
jerwayclar

Default 96 Geo Tracker

It is 4 cylinder and an automatic. We have replaced 3 distributors lately.
The mechanic said the first rebuilt one he ordered was bad, so he
reordered. It lasted 700 miles. I have replaced this one and it lasted for
one startup. The mechanic tells me that I am just getting bad rebuilt
distributors. But could any thing else be going on. Thanks

Old July 28th 05, 01:23 AM

jerwayclar wrote:
> It is 4 cylinder and an automatic. We have replaced 3 distributors lately.
> The mechanic said the first rebuilt one he ordered was bad, so he
> reordered. It lasted 700 miles. I have replaced this one and it lasted for
> one startup. The mechanic tells me that I am just getting bad rebuilt
> distributors. But could any thing else be going on. Thanks

Is he redoing it each time for n/c under his service warranty? If not,
something is wrong with this picture. There are a lot of crappy
rebuilt parts around but not 3 in a row and that fast. Maybe he is
incompetent & doesn't know how to inspect a just-bought distributor? A
distributor, even a bad one, lasting one startup is almost impossible.
In any event, no one can tell you anything important about your problem
by hands-off, online means. All your post says, is that you don't
trust your mechanic or suspect something is wrong. Your cute '96
Tracker is a simple little truck but one must have the factory manual
to work on it properly. It has many sophisticated controls related to
starting & ignition. Obviously, no T&E has been saved by fooling
around with rebuilt distributors, either, even if he's covering his
parts & work for free. Many mechanics have an ingrained negative
attitude toward this little truck, too, although it is a wonderful
little machine. I make no assumptions about your mechanic, but from
your post it sounds like one of you is a dufus & I think it's worth
your resources to pay an experienced dealer or other modern,
well-equipped shop an hour's labor to diagnose it correctly & go from
there. By your vague post it could have anything wrong from some
simple connection problem to worn ignition switch to an expensive
failed sensor or an ECM catastrophy.

Old July 28th 05, 03:36 AM
xmirage2kx

"" wrote:
> It is 4 cylinder and an automatic. We have replaced 3
> distributors lately.
> The mechanic said the first rebuilt one he ordered was bad, so
> he
> reordered. It lasted 700 miles. I have replaced this one and
> it lasted for
> one startup. The mechanic tells me that I am just getting bad
> rebuilt
> distributors. But could any thing else be going on. Thanks

1: get a new mechanic
2: it could be just bad dists, but i doubt it

I would start by replacing the cheaper parts (rotars, etc) and work
your way back. I dont know how its breaking but it could be anything
from put on wrong to rebuild.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-96-Geo...ict130631.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=637121

'Tracker' - (UK- quite long) Harry BMW 6 July 20th 05 08:02 PM
Tracker emissions - Help! Mark 4x4 4 May 1st 04 12:14 PM
Guess I answered my own question on Chevy Tracker MPG Iowa883 4x4 0 February 15th 04 05:00 AM