156 Headlight bulb replacement

Old October 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Max Reheat

Default 156 Headlight bulb replacement

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:35:49 +0200, "Hans de Heer"
> selected combat throttle and flew into a
dogfight with:

>catman wrote:
>> Bit like a monkey
>> puzzle really

>On the upside: it's much easier than on a Renault Modus...
>
>http://www.modus-forum.de/forum/view...=953&highlight

Who needs a thousand words? ROFL.
--
Max Reheat () - deselect Part Throttle Reheat to reply.

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Veloce
Lancia Dedra 1.8i.e.SE - visible on Google Earth!
Old October 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Max Reheat

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:42:23 GMT, catman
> selected combat throttle and flew
into a dogfight with:

>Bill wrote:
>> All
>>
>> 156 JTD 20v multijet
>>
>> Could someone give me a quick walkthrough of how to change the parking
>> light bulb in the front passenger side (LH if you're not in the UK)
>>

>Get an Octopus
>
>Seriously there are two 'caps' The sidelight is the one nearer the
>middle of the car. It should unscrew about a quarter turn and come
>free. Then use your octopus to reach into the hole and grab the bulb
>holder which has an impracticably small plastic tab to grip. The reason
>it is so small becomes apparent when trying to withdraw it. If it was
>any bigger, it wouldn't fit through the hole left by the cap. Not that
>that is really relevant because you won't be able to keep hold of it and
>get your fingers back out. Bit like a monkey puzzle really
>
>In fact it pulls straight out, but make sure you are pulling
>horizontally and dead straight with respect to the car.
>
>Re-fitting is the reverse of removal.
>
>Of course, this assumes that they haven't changed the design.....

Possibly it's easier on the Xenon H/Ls on my 156. The side/parking
light is in between the dip and main beam. Remove the main beam
cover, reach in and twist the side light bulb holder and pull through
the opening; I didn't need an octopus. Replace the bulb (lamp?),
then "Re-fitting is the reverse of removal."

Old October 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

davea wrote:

> Same hellish job as on the 147!

I didn't find the 147 too bad. My wife's car had both headlamp bulbs
incorrectly fitted (upside down, so not matching the notches). I
adjusted them all the way down to try to stop blinding everyone before I
discovered the bulbs were pointing in a strange direction.

There was a fair bit of swearing but I think the 156 looks a bit trickier!

Cheers
Tony
Old October 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stephen Poley

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 06:18:58 GMT, Zathras
> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 05:54:11 GMT, catman
> wrote:
>
>>Having read the pictures as it were
>>
>>Bloody *Hell*

>Seconded!!! Nice design Renault.

I hate the spew of new laws that governments keep foisting on us, but I
can't help thinking that if manufacturers are going to abuse their
customers as cynically as this, that another one is needed. Something
along the lines of: it must be possible to change any legally-required
light-bulb (headlights, indicators, brake-lights etc) at the road side
within five minutes, requiring no tools other than those supplied with
the car. Penalty for infringement: each time a light-bulb fails, the
manufacturer is required a supply a new car at no charge.

--
Stephen Poley
Old October 13th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:11:50 GMT, catman
> wrote:

>Didn't one of the old 911s require that you removed the engine to change
>the oil filter?

Ahh..that explains (partly) why the 600 (six hundred) mile service
(..err..oil change) of a mate's 911 Carrera cost £600 twenty years
ago!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old October 13th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:11:20 GMT, catman
> wrote:

> Press the button, turn to 'PARK' and your sidelight (possibly
>only the OS in the UK spec will come on)

They go off automatically just before dawn..just so you know the
battery is cuffed! ;-)

Old October 14th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dominic

catman > wrote:

>Same as side lights. If yours is the same as mine, there is a button on
>the ignition switch and another position past 'STOP' marked (oddly)
>'PARK' Press the button, turn to 'PARK' and your sidelight (possibly
>only the OS in the UK spec will come on)

And on the 147 at least... you set which side comes on with the indicator
stalk. Or both sides on if you leave the indicator switch in the middle
(indicators off) position. I kinda assumed all cars with parking lights
behaved like this, and people who left just the pavement side on were
just stupid...

(Although, AFAICS - if you need to leave parking lights on, park somewhere
different!)

dom.

p.s. changed both sidelight bulbs on my 147, within a few weeks of
each other. Fiddly job, but easier the second time.

Old October 14th 06, 06:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

Dominic wrote:
> catman > wrote:
>> Same as side lights. If yours is the same as mine, there is a button on
>> the ignition switch and another position past 'STOP' marked (oddly)
>> 'PARK' Press the button, turn to 'PARK' and your sidelight (possibly
>> only the OS in the UK spec will come on)
>>

> And on the 147 at least... you set which side comes on with the indicator
> stalk. Or both sides on if you leave the indicator switch in the middle
> (indicators off) position. I kinda assumed all cars with parking lights
> behaved like this, and people who left just the pavement side on were
> just stupid...

You could well be right about the indicator thing.

> (Although, AFAICS - if you need to leave parking lights on, park somewhere
> different!)

*ding* I've never used them.

> dom.
>
> p.s. changed both sidelight bulbs on my 147, within a few weeks of
> each other. Fiddly job, but easier the second time.

Less fingers?

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 16th 06, 09:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
savamac

catman wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > All
> >
> > 156 JTD 20v multijet
> >
> > Could someone give me a quick walkthrough of how to change the parking
> > light bulb in the front passenger side (LH if you're not in the UK)
> >

> Get an Octopus
>
> Seriously there are two 'caps' The sidelight is the one nearer the
> middle of the car. It should unscrew about a quarter turn and come
> free. Then use your octopus to reach into the hole and grab the bulb
> holder which has an impracticably small plastic tab to grip. The reason
> it is so small becomes apparent when trying to withdraw it. If it was
> any bigger, it wouldn't fit through the hole left by the cap. Not that
> that is really relevant because you won't be able to keep hold of it and
> get your fingers back out. Bit like a monkey puzzle really
>
> In fact it pulls straight out, but make sure you are pulling
> horizontally and dead straight with respect to the car.
>
> Re-fitting is the reverse of removal.
>
> Of course, this assumes that they haven't changed the design.....
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
> Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits
> www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

I don't think this correct - if you employ the services of an octopus,
you'll have the Animal Rights people after you.

I've undertaken this task myself several times, and the score so far is
:
Success 3, Failure 1 (I took the car and my remaining fingers to the
local dealer - my, how they laughed).

With the high labour charges of Alfa dealers, a possible alternative is
:
Go down to the woods tonight, and capture the first 3-handed inbred you
find (you'll hear the banjo playing in the distance). You need 3 hands
to hold the bulb / hold the small torch you will need / hold the mirror
in the engine compartment to see what goes where.

Let me know how this works out.

Old October 16th 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Bill wrote:
> All
>
> 156 JTD 20v multijet
>
> Could someone give me a quick walkthrough of how to change the parking
> light bulb in the front passenger side (LH if you're not in the UK)
>

> cheers
>
> Bill

From now on, please refer to them as p*****g l****ts - my nearside's just
gone too after the fate was tempted in this thread!