catalytic converter

Old September 3rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loub

Default catalytic converter

I have a 99 Odyssey with 114k miles. At 103k miles the MIL came on
with the codeP0420.I recently had a timing belt service done by a Honda
dealer, they said I needed a new catalytic converter. I have been
driving since 1968 and have favored Hondas. I have never needed a cat.
before and I am starting to lose confidence in Honda's supposed "great"
reliability. Could the cat. really be bad or could it be something
simpler like an oxygen sensor?

Old September 4th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

I'd start by reading the following:
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...old-bank-1.php

Then check for the federal warranty on cat converters, etc.
I am not optimistic on the latter, but it's good to know
about it.

Google has a lot of advice on this.

"loub" > wrote

Old September 6th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Elle" > wrote in
nk.net:

> I'd start by reading the following:
> <http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...old-bank-1.php >

Now there's a good link. My own page is on that subject is
looking a bit dated now. I'll replace that soon.

> with the existence of
> Then check for the federal warranty on cat converters, etc.
> I am not optimistic on the latter, but it's good to know
> about it.

The federal warranty is eight years and 80K miles from date
of original purchase. You can only claim it once.

There are a few California vehicles for which the warranty
is 14 years (not the '99 Odyssey).

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 6th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"loub" > wrote in news:1157322443.005989.249420@
74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

> I have a 99 Odyssey with 114k miles. At 103k miles the MIL came on
> with the codeP0420.I recently had a timing belt service done by a Honda
> dealer, they said I needed a new catalytic converter. I have been
> driving since 1968 and have favored Hondas. I have never needed a cat.
> before and I am starting to lose confidence in Honda's supposed "great"
> reliability. Could the cat. really be bad or could it be something
> simpler like an oxygen sensor?

It could. See Elle's link.

Government emissions requirements these days are stupidly strict. Strict to
the point that some components are operating close to their capability
limits, and failures are common. Ten years ago, your cat would have very
handily met the emissions limits in force at the time.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

back pressure damage from clogged catalytic converter? James Champion Dodge 1 July 6th 06 05:13 PM
Catalytic Converter Bleedinred Honda 2 April 22nd 06 06:37 PM
95 GTP Catalytic Converter Question Aaron407 Technology 3 April 11th 06 06:43 AM
The Catalytic Converter Failure for the Honda Accord EX1999/4D/2.3L Jai Honda 11 February 11th 06 12:31 AM
Replace catalytic converter? Matthew Technology 12 March 4th 05 05:53 PM