2002 Prizm faulty fuel vapor canister

Old June 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 2002 Prizm faulty fuel vapor canister

I have a 2002 Chevy Prizm with 37,500 miles.

My check engine light was staying on, so I took it in. I'm told my fuel
vapor canister is dead, and it will cost over $400 to replace.

My previous car was a 1992, so I'm not accustomed to these newer cars.
While I've appreciated not having to do an annual engine tune, etc,
this seems like a major part replacement to me at very low mileage...is
this typical of newer cars? Has anyone heard of this part failing so
soon on Prizm/Corolla? The mechanic checked for recalls and service
bulletins but says there aren't any, and I haven't located any myself.
He said in his experience it was "unusual."

Tommy

Old June 27th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> I have a 2002 Chevy Prizm with 37,500 miles.
>
> My check engine light was staying on, so I took it in. I'm told my

fuel
> vapor canister is dead, and it will cost over $400 to replace.
>
> My previous car was a 1992, so I'm not accustomed to these newer cars.
> While I've appreciated not having to do an annual engine tune, etc,
> this seems like a major part replacement to me at very low

mileage...is
> this typical of newer cars? Has anyone heard of this part failing so
> soon on Prizm/Corolla? The mechanic checked for recalls and service
> bulletins but says there aren't any, and I haven't located any myself.
> He said in his experience it was "unusual."

> Tommy

Not real common but it does happen. Not sure if Toyota has the canister
set up like some others where topping off the tank can cause problems or
not.

Old June 27th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I found a TSB for "INACCURATE TECH 2 FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
READINGS".

This could mean that maybe only the computer 'thinks' the vapor canister
is bad!

Here is the TSB number: 3336

From this site:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 27th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hmmm...that's very interesting, especially in light of this update:

When the service advisor at the dealer called to give me the bad news,
and said there weren't any recalls or service bulletins, I said "Before
you do anything, let me think this over. I always like to doublecheck
things on the web." He offered to call GM and see if they would do
anything for me but said "I doubt they will, but it's worth a call."

WELL...I just heard back and GM is covering the entire thing, parts and
labor!!

I wonder...is this perhaps a secret warranty? Or is GM trying to
compete with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranties? Or, is the canister
not even bad after all which is why they're being so generous about
fixing it? Perhaps they'll just replace a sensor?

At any rate, Thanks for your help!

:-) Tommy

Old June 27th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

ps.com...

Old June 27th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I may be wrong on this but I was under the inpression that the
Dealer/car maker was suppose to fix the emissions system for a set time
limit, like 5 years or 50,000 miles without charge to the customer by
US. federal law.

Rick

Old June 28th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"thetoolman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I may be wrong on this but I was under the inpression that the
> Dealer/car maker was suppose to fix the emissions system for a set time
> limit, like 5 years or 50,000 miles without charge to the customer by
> US. federal law.
>
> Rick

My thinking as well, Rick; and I think this WOULD be an emissions
related item. s

Old June 28th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article
.com>,
"thetoolman" > wrote:

> I may be wrong on this but I was under the inpression that the
> Dealer/car maker was suppose to fix the emissions system for a set time
> limit, like 5 years or 50,000 miles without charge to the customer by
> US. federal law.
>
> Rick

An OBD2 vehicle carries 2/24 federal emissions warranty on minor
components, 8/80 or 10/100 on major components.
Old June 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article
> .com>,
> "thetoolman" > wrote:
>
>> I may be wrong on this but I was under the inpression that the
>> Dealer/car maker was suppose to fix the emissions system for a set time
>> limit, like 5 years or 50,000 miles without charge to the customer by
>> US. federal law.
>>
>> Rick

> An OBD2 vehicle carries 2/24 federal emissions warranty on minor
> components, 8/80 or 10/100 on major components.

Hey Neil
Any idea who or what determines what is major and what is minor?
Bob

Old June 28th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"thetoolman" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I may be wrong on this but I was under the inpression that the
> Dealer/car maker was suppose to fix the emissions system for a set
> time limit, like 5 years or 50,000 miles without charge to the
> customer by US. federal law.

Google is clearly not your friend.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr94fs.txt

All easily accessible via a search engine, such as Google.

--
TeGGeR®

Fuel injector expected lifespan? TeGGeR® Technology 65 August 1st 07 03:50 PM
Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM