Maybe OT, a drag racing question

Old December 17th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Default Maybe OT, a drag racing question

I'm hooked on speed, TV that is, and frequently watch
Pinks and other drag racing competition. The cars always
do spectacular burn outs, and it appears the front brakes
are locked because the cars don't move. Do these cars have
separate front and rear braking systems?

Just curious,
Dick
Old December 17th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawgman

"Dick R." > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm hooked on speed, TV that is, and frequently watch
> Pinks and other drag racing competition. The cars always
> do spectacular burn outs, and it appears the front brakes
> are locked because the cars don't move. Do these cars have
> separate front and rear braking systems?
>
> Just curious,
> Dick

They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control systems. It is a
solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set them up) that you activate
with a switch. Roll up to the line, press your brakes, push the switch, let
off the brakes. The solenoid holds line pressure to the front brakes while
the rear brakes are free.

Old December 18th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Dick R." > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I'm hooked on speed, TV that is, and frequently watch
>> Pinks and other drag racing competition. The cars always
>> do spectacular burn outs, and it appears the front brakes
>> are locked because the cars don't move. Do these cars have
>> separate front and rear braking systems?
>>
>> Just curious,
>> Dick
>>

> They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control systems. It is
> a solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set them up) that you
> activate with a switch. Roll up to the line, press your brakes, push the
> switch, let off the brakes. The solenoid holds line pressure to the front
> brakes while the rear brakes are free.

So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah,
that explains a lot.

dwight

Old December 19th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawgman

"dwight" > wrote in message
> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> I'm hooked on speed, TV that is, and frequently watch
>>> Pinks and other drag racing competition. The cars always
>>> do spectacular burn outs, and it appears the front brakes
>>> are locked because the cars don't move. Do these cars have
>>> separate front and rear braking systems?
>>>
>>> Just curious,
>>> Dick
>>>

>> They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control systems. It
>> is a solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set them up) that you
>> activate with a switch. Roll up to the line, press your brakes, push the
>> switch, let off the brakes. The solenoid holds line pressure to the
>> front brakes while the rear brakes are free.

> So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah,
> that explains a lot.
>
> dwight

If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear drums?
I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front brakes
while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are burning up
the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)

Old December 19th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...

> "dwight" > wrote in message
>> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>
>>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control systems. It
>>> is a solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set them up) that you
>>> activate with a switch. Roll up to the line, press your brakes, push the
>>> switch, let off the brakes. The solenoid holds line pressure to the
>>> front brakes while the rear brakes are free.

>> So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah,
>> that explains a lot.
>>
>> dwight
>>

> If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
> drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front
> brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are
> burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)

Who said I use line locks?

dwight

Old December 19th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...

> "dwight" > wrote in message
>> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>
>>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control
>>> systems. It is a solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set
>>> them up) that you activate with a switch. Roll up to the line,
>>> press your brakes, push the switch, let off the brakes. The
>>> solenoid holds line pressure to the front brakes while the rear
>>> brakes are free.

>> So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums...
>> Yeah, that explains a lot.
>>
>> dwight
>>

> If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
> drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the
> front brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says
> you are burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore
> anyway?)

Whoosh! Good thing you ducked.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old December 19th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawgman

"dwight" > wrote in message
> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah,
>>> that explains a lot.
>>>
>>> dwight
>>>

>> If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
>> drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front
>> brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are
>> burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)

> Who said I use line locks?
>
> dwight

Well duh! If I had read it correctly I woulda got that. Sorry.. normally
don't have my head that far up my own ass. Been an off week.

Old December 19th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...

> "dwight" > wrote in message
>> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
>>> drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front
>>> brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are
>>> burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)

>> Who said I use line locks?
>>
>> dwight
>>

> Well duh! If I had read it correctly I woulda got that. Sorry.. normally
> don't have my head that far up my own ass. Been an off week.

No worries. That's what I get for being flip.

dwight

Old December 19th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mach1

"John C." > wrote in message
> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>> "Hawgman" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah,
>>> that explains a lot.
>>>
>>> dwight
>>>

>> If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
>> drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front
>> brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are
>> burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)
>>

> Whoosh! Good thing you ducked.
> --
> John C.
> '03 Cobra Convt.
> '00 Cobra R

I still have rear drums on my 72 Mach1 as an example!

Old December 19th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Mach1 wrote:
> "John C." > wrote in message
>
>>"Hawgman" > wrote in message
r.com...

> [...]
ter.com...

>>>If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear
>>>drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front
>>>brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are
>>>burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)
>>>

>>Whoosh! Good thing you ducked.
>>--
>>John C.
>>'03 Cobra Convt.
>>'00 Cobra R
>>

> I still have rear drums on my 72 Mach1 as an example!

Hi all,
I have a 84 Capri 5.0 and I can't do any spectacular burn outs, but I can
do enough to get me in trouble with the police. At my age the problem is,
I wouldn't know if I should call the officer "Sir" or "Junior".
:-)
Dick