Engine rebuild

Old August 29th 04, 06:37 PM
Jai

Default Engine rebuild

Hey.........anyone know what the money should be to rebuild my 350 and the
trans also. All stock.

I think I would like to shop around and just curious what the money should
be. I live in a small town and sometimes I think the prices for some of
this work are a bit high.

Like the guy that was going to discharge my AC for 45$ and that was while it
was here in the garage and then I find out that that same guy will take the
refridgerant and sell it for around 50$ as part of a recharge on someone
elses car?
Mere 100$ deal for him........not bad for merely maybe two hours effort!

Interesting how these things go......ok.....thanks for some incite on these
numbers...........

Old August 30th 04, 02:02 AM

'Hey.........anyone know what the money should be to rebuild my 350 and
the trans also. All stock.'

ME: This is pretty vague isnt it !? The gammit of rebuilding a motor
runs anywhere from replacing a couple of pushrods with new valve cover
gaskets...to....a total top end and bottom end replacement of internals
including Block overhaul at a reputable Machine Shop. Rebuilding a
trans. can depend on whether its a manual or automatic and can range
from replacing a small doohicky... to a complete teardown and reassemble
using new parts. But, if i had to guess...id say use : $765.42 as a
rough estimate.

Old August 30th 04, 03:57 AM
Steve G

Not bad for a couple hours work, until you factor in the price of the
equipment, which can be a few thousand dollars for the equipment that
filters and enables the re-use of the refrigerant, the cost of the overhead
in owning the building, business taxes, utility costs, marketing/advertising
costs etc. Then, if you're in the part of Canada that I live, the time and
money spent on the record keeping that the government requires, keeping logs
and acounting for all the refrigerant you handle.

This may also account for the higher costs in the small population centre.
The cost of the investment of the shop and equipment has to be spread over
fewer invoices. My suggestion, support your local supplier or he won't be
there when you need him. Remember those times when taking your job to the
big city just wasn't an option, and you were glad to have him down the
street.

Steve g.

Old August 30th 04, 03:57 AM
Steve G

"Jai" > wrote in message
> Hey.........anyone know what the money should be to rebuild my 350 and the
> trans also. All stock.
>
> I think I would like to shop around and just curious what the money should
> be. I live in a small town and sometimes I think the prices for some of
> this work are a bit high.
>
> Like the guy that was going to discharge my AC for 45$ and that was while

it
> was here in the garage and then I find out that that same guy will take

the
> refridgerant and sell it for around 50$ as part of a recharge on someone
> elses car?
> Mere 100$ deal for him........not bad for merely maybe two hours effort!
>
> Interesting how these things go......ok.....thanks for some incite on

these
> numbers...........

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Audi 3 November 30th 04 01:53 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw BMW 1 November 24th 04 04:14 PM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Alfa Romeo 0 November 23rd 04 03:00 PM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM