Hypertech's Power Programmer III on 98 C5 LS1 6 Spd. Any words of wisdom?

Old August 28th 04, 01:40 AM
Tedd Riggs

Default Hypertech's Power Programmer III on 98 C5 LS1 6 Spd. Any words of wisdom?

I have done a few small changes on my 98 C5 LS1 6 spd Corvette and am going
to try out what effect the Hypertech Power Programmer III has on the car as
I have had a number of comments this would help out the power/torque curves
a fair amount since the intake and exhaust have been opened up a bit from
stock. Any comments on anything special to do as the FAQ's at Hypertechs web
site sounds like its mainly Yes/No questions. I always used Chevron Techron
92 Octane gas. I am hoping the $300 spent on the Hypertuner helps...Guess
tomorrow (Saturday) I will find out when it arrives.

So if any suggestions, let me know !
Thanks
Tedd

Below is what has been done to the car.

Intake
VaraRam VR-1B Forced Air Induction
High Flow Carbon Fiber Air Intake Duct & Coupler

Ignition
Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs
8.5mm MSD Spark Plug wires

Exhaust
CORSA Indy Exhaust System With Pro-Series 3.5" Tips
Magnaflow Performance Exhaust X-Pipe
(Still not sure if I will add headers)

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 28th 04, 04:03 PM
Gerd Henjes

Tedd, said. "Any comments on anything special to do as the FAQ's at
Hypertechs web
> site sounds like its mainly Yes/No questions?"

If you had an automatic as I did the Hypertech may be of some limited value.
For a 6-speed the only benefit will be the change in the fan turn on temp.
setting... hardly worth the investment considering you could other
programmers or software that will let you modify all parameters.

If you haven't opened it... send it back and save your money.

I used one on my '97 automatic, can't say I was unhappy, but the performance
programming wasn't worth the bucks.

On my '04 Z-06 I use the HP programming on my laptop, a much better deal.

Gerd

Old August 28th 04, 04:03 PM
Gerd Henjes

Old August 29th 04, 07:32 AM
Tedd Riggs

Thanks Gerd,
Got the thing and soon found out how little it does...Idle is a little
lower and hear fans more.....The dealer I got it from says I can use it up
to 30 days and if not happy, can get a refund. Now trying to find out if
the local gas is Reformulated gas (RFG)
or regular as that is one of the questions it asked. Called about 10
stations and no luck, same with the Chevron web site.
Sounds like it might be only a winter blend.

I wanted to get the DiabloSport Predator as that one seems to do most
everything, but only avail. for 1999-2004 Vettes.

What is the HP software/Interface you are using ? I have looked all over
for a PC or PDA version, but never found one.
Thanks !
Tedd

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 29th 04, 07:32 AM
Tedd Riggs

Old August 29th 04, 07:58 AM
Dad

The Clean Air Act requires use of reformulated gasoline in those parts of
the country with the worst ozone air pollution problems. Other areas have
elected to use it.

Since January 1, 1995; reformulated gasoline is being used state-wide in
Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and the
District of Columbia.

It will also be required in portions of California, Illinois, Indiana,
Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas,
Virginia, and Wisconsin. This includes the greater metropolitan areas.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 29th 04, 07:58 AM
Dad

Old August 29th 04, 02:13 PM
Gerd Henjes

Tedd... try this site. http://www.hptuners.com./

I don't know if they go back to '98, but the software is very slick and easy
to use.

Best,

Gerd

P.S. If you are not pinging with the non RFG setting, leave it alone.

Old August 29th 04, 02:13 PM
Gerd Henjes