Engine oil cooler line replacement?

Old April 22nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lisa

Default Engine oil cooler line replacement?

Hello folks,

I got a 2001 Concorde with the 3.2 engine. It's got an engine oil cooler in
it and the supply line that connects the cooler (upper radiator) to the
control valve is leaking. Is this a hard thing to replace myself? Would it
be wise for me to use an old line off of a used car? The new line is very
expensive from Chrysler dealers!

Any other comments or pointers on this is greatly appreciated Thank you.

Old April 22nd 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman[_2_]

Possibly the transmission fluid (not engine oil) cooler line? I've not
replaced one on your model/year, but did so on an older LH body since it too
was leaking. I bought the part at the dealer and the part was about $50.
Installation was not too difficult. I figured any old part would likely be
prone to the same issue. In addition, $50 just wasn't worth the effort of
pulling it at a salvage yard.

Bob

Old April 22nd 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

I think Bob may be right about it being the transmission cooler line.
They have screw clamps on those lines - usually it's a matter of
tightening the clamps back up rather than a hole in the line. (I own two
2nd gen. Concordes.)

That would cost $zero.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old April 23rd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lisa

Thanks Bob.

It is actually engine oil cooler lines. The transmission cooler lines or on
the other side (left side of the radiator), the engine cooler line or on the
right side of the radiator. I was at the dealer yesterday and they said it
was engine oil and I said the same thing you said but they explained that
some of these Concorde models came with an optional engine oil cooler. BTW,
the wanted $480 to replace the 2 lines, I can't tell you what I said but
you'd probably figure that out yourself.

Thanks again.

Old April 23rd 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lisa

Bill, thank you too.

As I explained to Bob, I have the optional engine oil cooler in my car and
these are engine oil lines.

Old April 23rd 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Lisa" > wrote in message
> Hello folks,
>
> I got a 2001 Concorde with the 3.2 engine. It's got an engine oil cooler

in
> it and the supply line that connects the cooler (upper radiator) to the
> control valve is leaking. Is this a hard thing to replace myself? Would it
> be wise for me to use an old line off of a used car? The new line is very
> expensive from Chrysler dealers!
>
> Any other comments or pointers on this is greatly appreciated Thank you.

Where and how is it leaking? If this is a steel tube (which it really
should be)
and there is a crack or some such in the tubing itself, then take the tube
off
and take it to a radiator shop and have them braise the crack or hole.

Ted

Old April 23rd 08, 11:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Lisa" > wrote in message
> Bill, thank you too.
>
> As I explained to Bob, I have the optional engine oil cooler in my car and
> these are engine oil lines.
>
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> >
> > I think Bob may be right about it being the transmission cooler line.

They
> > have screw clamps on those lines - usually it's a matter of tightening

the
> > clamps back up rather than a hole in the line. (I own two 2nd gen.
> > Concordes.)
> >
> > That would cost $zero.
> >
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my

address
> > with the letter 'x')
> >

> > Bob Shuman wrote:
> >> Possibly the transmission fluid (not engine oil) cooler line? I've not
> >> replaced one on your model/year, but did so on an older LH body since

it
> >> too was leaking. I bought the part at the dealer and the part was

about
> >> $50. Installation was not too difficult. I figured any old part would
> >> likely be prone to the same issue. In addition, $50 just wasn't worth
> >> the effort of pulling it at a salvage yard.
> >>
> >> Bob

cooler

you.

The lines you are referring to have to be replaced if they are leaking, They
can not be fixed. When they leak, it is normally severe. I wouldn't pay more
the 2.0hrs to have them installed

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 23rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lisa

Max,

I ordered the line yesterday, I am going to give it a shot myself..I think
it is a straight forward replacement. Thanks.

. ..

Old April 23rd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lisa

Ted,

This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the joint
between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It has
to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.

Old April 24th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

> The lines you are referring to have to be replaced if they are leaking, They
> can not be fixed. When they leak, it is normally severe. I wouldn't pay more
> the 2.0hrs to have them installed
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Glen

Do these lines appear on any other 2001 Chrysler vehicles? Like maybe
my 2001 LHS?

Thanks
Bob AZ