Wheels for X5 3.0 base model

Old February 11th 05, 05:37 PM
celestite

Default Wheels for X5 3.0 base model

Hi

I am a newbie to this forum. Mine is a 05' X5 base model. The factory 17"
wheels and 255 tire is too skinny and I am thinking of upgrading the wheels
to take up tire of at least 285 width.

I do prefer 18" wheels but according to factory spec, it won't be able to
take up tire width higher than 255. (fyi, my ML with 18" AMG wheels works
perfectly well with 285/50R18 Diamaris). Apparently, I am forced to consider
19" or 20" wheel options?!

Can a base model X5 (w/o SP) work well with 19" or 20" wheels? what are the
potential problems? ..... performance, comfort, fuel consumption.

Need your advice.

Old February 14th 05, 02:10 PM
Ken R.

"celestite" > wrote in
:

> Hi
>
> I am a newbie to this forum. Mine is a 05' X5 base model.
> The factory 17" wheels and 255 tire is too skinny and I am
> thinking of upgrading the wheels to take up tire of at
> least 285 width.
>
> I do prefer 18" wheels but according to factory spec, it
> won't be able to take up tire width higher than 255. (fyi,
> my ML with 18" AMG wheels works perfectly well with
> 285/50R18 Diamaris). Apparently, I am forced to consider
> 19" or 20" wheel options?!
>
> Can a base model X5 (w/o SP) work well with 19" or 20"
> wheels? what are the potential problems? ..... performance,
> comfort, fuel consumption.
>
> Need your advice.

All three criteria will suffer (plus some others). It's
the simple physics associated with increasing unsprung,
rotating mass. Let's not kid ourselves, since you didn't
mention bigger brakes, the only real reason for upsizing
is for visual 'pop'.

If you are still interested, a quick check seems to show
that OEM sizes in 2005 included

--------------------
All 235/55-17
--------------------
All 235/50-18
--------------------
All 255/55-18
--------------------
Front 255/50-19
Rear 285/45-19
--------------------
Front 275/40-20
Rear 315/35-20

If you haven't already been there, try Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?
autoMake=BMW&autoModel=X5+4.4i&autoYear=2005
&autoModClar=Standard+Model

A final thought. With just the 3.0L engine, be sure to
weigh one of your existing complete wheel/tire (inc cap
& nuts) assy's and compare this to the total weight of
an upsized wheel. Every pound counts and big, plated
20's could be 15 lbs more than what you have. Multiply
this by four and your mileage WILL vary.

Regards,
Ken R.

Old February 15th 05, 03:57 PM
celestite

Thanks. Your advise does help. You've chill out much of my desire to
upsize to anything beyond 18".

What I've got is 235/55 R17 instead of 255 (typo). Beside visual pop, which
I must admit, better road grip and handling are my prime reasons for the
upsizing. Is it worth then to change to 18" with factory recommended 255/55
R18 (or 285/50 or 285/60 R18 if possible) to achieve what I want without too
much sacrifices. I am thinking of using Michelin Diamaris to go with it.

Need your advise again.