Aluminum used in chassis

Old December 24th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Aluminum used in chassis

I am interested in using aluminum tubing for building a tubular
chassis but most people say that aluminum does fatigue crack.
But I was thinking that it has been done and aluminum can be used for
a car chassis.

Audi uses aluminum for their monocoque chassis....

Is there anything I should know about this Audi chassis?

Isn't fatigue cracks also a problem with this Audi chassis since it's
also made of aluminum....or perhaps also with the Acura NSX?
Old December 24th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I am interested in using aluminum tubing for building a tubular
>chassis but most people say that aluminum does fatigue crack.
>But I was thinking that it has been done and aluminum can be used for
>a car chassis.

It does, but aluminum is more than one kind of thing. There are thousands
of aluminum alloys. Some have worse fatigue problems than others. Some
are easier to weld than others. Some are easier to machine than others.

>Audi uses aluminum for their monocoque chassis....
>
>Is there anything I should know about this Audi chassis?

Yes, you need to know what kind of aluminum alloy they use, first of all.
Secondly, you need to know how the chassis was designed to avoid flexing
and how they engineered welded joints to avoid flex points.

>Isn't fatigue cracks also a problem with this Audi chassis since it's
>also made of aluminum....or perhaps also with the Acura NSX?

I don't know. But I'll say that fatigue cracking can be a major problem
with aircraft, if you aren't careful. Aircraft designers work to distribute
flexure so all the movement isn't in one place. And aircraft maintenance
folks do regular inspections. Even so, sometimes things break like that
737 in Hawaii that had microcracking around rivet holes.
--scott
Old December 24th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
>>I am interested in using aluminum tubing for building a tubular
>>chassis but most people say that aluminum does fatigue crack.
>>But I was thinking that it has been done and aluminum can be used for
>>a car chassis.

> It does, but aluminum is more than one kind of thing. There are thousands
> of aluminum alloys. Some have worse fatigue problems than others. Some
> are easier to weld than others. Some are easier to machine than others.

Well said, Scott.

If you are not really an expert at design, welding, etc than one should
perhaps
not consider trying to develop a chassis from aluminum.

IIRC, the Norwegian aluminum producer (which name fails me at the moment)
spent a lot of money and worked closely with the automobile industry to
develop
a high tech aluminum chassis. It was a work of art.

For most people, fabrication with large diameter thinwall tubing would be a
lot
easier and very competitive. This was described in a book by Costin, I
believe,
if he is lucky enough to find a copy. It is supposed to be the prime
resource
for high performance chassis development. (He is the Cos in Cosworth).

Old December 26th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> > wrote:
>
>>I am interested in using aluminum tubing for building a tubular
>>chassis but most people say that aluminum does fatigue crack.
>>But I was thinking that it has been done and aluminum can be used for
>>a car chassis.

> It does, but aluminum is more than one kind of thing. There are thousands
> of aluminum alloys. Some have worse fatigue problems than others. Some
> are easier to weld than others. Some are easier to machine than others.
>

>>Audi uses aluminum for their monocoque chassis....
>>
>>Is there anything I should know about this Audi chassis?

> Yes, you need to know what kind of aluminum alloy they use, first of all.
> Secondly, you need to know how the chassis was designed to avoid flexing
> and how they engineered welded joints to avoid flex points.
>

>>Isn't fatigue cracks also a problem with this Audi chassis since it's
>>also made of aluminum....or perhaps also with the Acura NSX?

> I don't know. But I'll say that fatigue cracking can be a major problem
> with aircraft, if you aren't careful. Aircraft designers work to distribute
> flexure so all the movement isn't in one place. And aircraft maintenance
> folks do regular inspections. Even so, sometimes things break like that
> 737 in Hawaii that had microcracking around rivet holes.
> --scott

Yea, you can visit a F15 jockey while most of the early F15 fleet is
grounded due to internal cracking of support structure....

Bob
Old December 26th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bhagat Gurtu

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:14:36 -0800, moreairgun wrote:

> I am interested in using aluminum tubing for building a tubular chassis
> but most people say that aluminum does fatigue crack. But I was thinking
> that it has been done and aluminum can be used for a car chassis.
>
> Audi uses aluminum for their monocoque chassis....
>
> Is there anything I should know about this Audi chassis?
>
> Isn't fatigue cracks also a problem with this Audi chassis since it's
> also made of aluminum....or perhaps also with the Acura NSX?

Before you start this job make sure that you have a degree in mechanical
engineering and are an expert in finite element modeling.

Of course it is taken for granted that you know how to use CAD software
and that you have the money and resources to produce a predictable safe
design.

HTH
Old December 26th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Bhagat Gurtu > wrote:

>Before you start this job make sure that you have a degree in mechanical
>engineering and are an expert in finite element modeling.

Nah, FEM is for wimps who can't build real prototypes. Folks built big
structures out of aluminum for decades without FEM. The ME degree sure
wouldn't hurt, though.

>Of course it is taken for granted that you know how to use CAD software
>and that you have the money and resources to produce a predictable safe
>design.

The guys at Douglas sure did a nice job with the DC-3, with no CAD/CAM,
no FEM, and no CNC machining. And aluminum alloys were a lot poorer
controlled back then. Plenty of those aircraft are still flying with no
sign of fatigue failures. Of course, they had a LOT of guys with ME degrees
on staff.
--scott

Aluminum Dana 44 billy ray Jeep 28 September 22nd 06 01:39 AM
Aluminum Wings [email protected] Honda 5 June 6th 06 01:03 AM
FS: 6' aluminum ladder twaldron Jeep 3 March 6th 06 07:45 PM
Aluminum rim sealing. Bob Urz Technology 16 September 14th 05 05:09 AM
aluminum wheels Jim Gemmill Jeep 3 May 8th 05 06:45 PM