Engine oil cooler line replacement?

Old April 24th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default Engine oil cooler line replacement?

"Bob AZ" > wrote in message

> > The lines you are referring to have to be replaced if they are leaking,

They
> > can not be fixed. When they leak, it is normally severe. I wouldn't pay

more
> > the 2.0hrs to have them installed
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Glen
>
> Do these lines appear on any other 2001 Chrysler vehicles? Like maybe
> my 2001 LHS?
>
> Thanks
> Bob AZ

Bob, if you gave me the last 8 of your vin # I could tell you if your
vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler

Glenn

Old April 24th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

> > Do these lines appear on any other 2001 Chrysler vehicles? Like maybe
> > my 2001 LHS?

> > Thanks
> > Bob �AZ

> Bob, �if you gave me the last 8 of your vin # I could tell you if your
> vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler

Glenn

1H580394

Thanks
Bob AZ

Old April 24th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bob AZ" > wrote in message
> > Do these lines appear on any other 2001 Chrysler vehicles? Like maybe
> > my 2001 LHS?

> > Thanks
> > Bob ?AZ

> Bob, ?if you gave me the last 8 of your vin # I could tell you if your
> vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler

Glenn

1H580394

Thanks
Bob

Bob, It does not specify. If you did have it, you would see both lines
running down the passenger side radiator. One line will go to the passenger
side oil pan and the other to the oil filter adapter.

Glenn

Old April 25th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Lisa" > wrote in message
> Ted,
>
> This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the joint
> between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It has
> to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.

Ugh, what a stupid design. Running pressurized, hot engine oil through
a flexible rubber line is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough doing it
with power steering fluid but if a PS line bursts, your steering just gets
more difficult. If this line bursts, unless you shut your engine down
immediately, you spin a bearing.

Ted

Old April 25th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Lisa" > wrote in message
>> Ted,
>>
>> This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the joint
>> between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It has
>> to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.
>>

> Ugh, what a stupid design. Running pressurized, hot engine oil through
> a flexible rubber line is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough doing it
> with power steering fluid but if a PS line bursts, your steering just gets
> more difficult. If this line bursts, unless you shut your engine down
> immediately, you spin a bearing.
>
> Ted

You're connecting from an engine, that of course moves around a little,
to a rigid chassis-mounted cooler. Would there be fatigue problems with
metal lines, even corrugated ones of affordable materials?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 27th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ron Seiden

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> "Lisa" > wrote in message
>>> Ted,
>>>
>>> This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the
>>> joint
>>> between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It
>>> has
>>> to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.
>>>

>> Ugh, what a stupid design. Running pressurized, hot engine oil through
>> a flexible rubber line is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough doing
>> it
>> with power steering fluid but if a PS line bursts, your steering just
>> gets
>> more difficult. If this line bursts, unless you shut your engine down
>> immediately, you spin a bearing.
>>
>> Ted

> You're connecting from an engine, that of course moves around a little, to
> a rigid chassis-mounted cooler. Would there be fatigue problems with
> metal lines, even corrugated ones of affordable materials?

Correct answer would be to use braided stainless steel covered lines (like
race cars use). Unfortunately, the companies are run by the bean counters,
not the engineers...

Old April 30th 08, 10:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > "Lisa" > wrote in message
> >> Ted,
> >>
> >> This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the

joint
> >> between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It

has
> >> to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.
> >>

> > Ugh, what a stupid design. Running pressurized, hot engine oil through
> > a flexible rubber line is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough

doing it
> > with power steering fluid but if a PS line bursts, your steering just

gets
> > more difficult. If this line bursts, unless you shut your engine down
> > immediately, you spin a bearing.
> >
> > Ted

> You're connecting from an engine, that of course moves around a little,
> to a rigid chassis-mounted cooler. Would there be fatigue problems with
> metal lines, even corrugated ones of affordable materials?

All of the old Ford cars that ran a C-4 used steel lines to connect
the trans cooler to the trans, no flex line involved. In any case, since
this oil cooler is an add-on option, the expense should not be an issue
since the customer has to pay extra for it.

Ted

Old April 30th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> ...In any case, since
> this oil cooler is an add-on option, the expense should not be an issue
> since the customer has to pay extra for it.

You're obviously not an MBA!

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old May 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > ...In any case, since
> > this oil cooler is an add-on option, the expense should not be an issue
> > since the customer has to pay extra for it.

> You're obviously not an MBA!

Heh.

Keep in mind that when the automakers cheapen down the add-on
accessories, word gets out and people stop buying them. Of course,
the temptation is great for the MBA's to find some way to cheapen
down the design and in the past a lot of automakers have given in
to temptation (Ford with it's disintegrating plastic intake manifolds,
for example) but while they often get away with it on the required parts
of the vehicle, more times than not when they do it to the accessories
it burns them. For example the auto aftermarket radio industry
wouldn't exist if automakers hadn't cut corners on car radios, and
the radio is a very high margin and profitable accessory for an automaker.

Ted