yes, it's a mileage thread

Old January 31st 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default yes, it's a mileage thread

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Ouch! ALMOST makes me want to start bottom posting ............
> nahhhhhh! (that bottom posting has NEVER made sense to me!)

A. Because people don't read that way.
Q. Why is top posting wrong?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 31st 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> Chris could go pick my car out for me, we have almost identical
> tastes in almost all things automobile-related.

I'd be very concerned! ;-)

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 31st 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> A. Because people don't read that way.
> Q. Why is top posting wrong?

* clap * clap * clap * clap * clap * clap *

In addition, top-posters typically quote too much of the article to
which they're replying (e.g., all of it). Sometimes it's just too
painful to wade through, so I don't.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old January 31st 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

You Cave men!

To you guys it makes sense to have to scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM,
sometimes over and over and over again, to see the latest post?! That's
ridiculous! Email and it's responses are read 'top posting' fashion by
everyone (I deal with) on the planet. Most of us have come to understand
that if we want to read the history of the discussion we go to the bottom
and work our way up. Why shouldn't newsgroup postings be the same? Lots of
people seem to agree with me. Maybe the different news 'readers' have an
effect on this too, I'm not sure.

Maybe I should delete all of the prev info in my posts and that would
eliminate a top / bottom bias ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old January 31st 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I second that emotion!
Actually Pat, I normally despise red cars but on the NC, the Copper Red
color is a knockout! I don't think the PRHT comes in all the colors though.
Isn't it limited? Not sure.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 31st 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> To you guys it makes sense to have to scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM,

What "all the way to the bottom?" It's not that far if the poster only
quotes enough to be meaningful, rather than his entire c.v., the history
of western civilization, and the last six chapters of "War and Peace."
Back-to-front, of course.

> sometimes over and over and over again, to see the latest post?!

It's only "over and over again" because too many folks show a similar
failure of judgment by quoting excessively and redundantly.

How would this article, or any that address multiple comments, read if I
posted all my responses in one block at the top?

> Lots of people seem to agree with me.

Rather, lots of people read news and email in brain-dead Microsoft email
clients, and don't know they can change the inappropriate default. They
also don't know how to quote less than an entire article, and/or are too
lazy to delete the unnecessary passages.

Your logic is analogous to the facetious justification of all sorts of
lemming behavior: "Eat sh!t, 50 trillion flies can't be wrong."

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 1st 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> To you guys it makes sense to have to scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE
> BOTTOM

No, people should snip or interleave their responses.

> That's ridiculous! Email and it's responses are read 'top
> posting' fashion by everyone (I deal with) on the planet.

Absolutely NOT! That's only from MSFT's lame email clients and even
the abominable Windows Mail will allow configuration to reply at the
bottom as is proper.

> Most of us have come to understand that if we want to read the
> history of the discussion we go to the bottom and work our way up.

All of us using decent newsreader *know* that if we want to read the
history of a thread we can click on get the parent to a single post or
reconstruct the entire thread if needed. Real newsreaders will do
that.

> Maybe I should delete all of the prev info in my posts and that
> would eliminate a top / bottom bias ;-)

It wouldn't eliminate any bias, it would allow you to post properly, or
you could just snip the irrelevant parts and post at the bottom or
interleaved as is required by proper netiquette.

See rule 3:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/...aq08-topp.html

and if that doesn't convince you, this should:

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm

And my favorite:
http://twovoyagers.com/blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old February 1st 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

OMG! Lists of rules and articles about lists of rules. Sincerely, don't have
that much time for such things. Not all of us are car nerds AND computer
nerds ;-)
How about this, I'll try to do better. I probably drive you guys crazy
around here (no comment necessary).

Chris
99BBB

Old February 1st 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Jan 31, 9:14*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> OMG! Lists of rules and articles about lists of rules. Sincerely, don't have
> that much time for such things. Not all of us are car nerds AND computer
> nerds ;-)
> How about this, I'll try to do better. I probably drive you guys crazy
> around here (no comment necessary).
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I don't find either top or bottom posting advantageous when either one
is used consistantly. The problem arises when both styles are used in
the same thread. Not snipping and deleting properly makes it worse.

If you post through Google groups, it solves both of those problems,
by making the default consistant, and hiding old text away. In their
'groups', they default to a top post, and in Usenet it defaults to
bottom-posting. The Google interface is not as elegant as using a
newsreader, so you choose your poison. I don't know how long Usenet's
going to be around. It's been so poorly managed that it makes me sad
& angry.
Old February 1st 10, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> How about this, I'll try to do better. I probably drive you guys
> crazy around here (no comment necessary).

Thanks, much appreciated.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

different oil thread... peter Mazda 1 March 10th 09 06:15 PM
AWA [OFFER] Genuine HeliCoil Thread Repair Kit HeliCoil Inserts HeliCoil Gauge & Thread [email protected] General 0 May 3rd 06 11:51 AM
Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW? Stupendous Man Jeep 8 April 25th 06 07:01 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
Car Wax - 04 Thread Johnny Hashbrowns General 3 May 17th 04 02:05 AM