Where to get Official Speed Limit Info

Old December 28th 04, 06:06 PM

Default Where to get Official Speed Limit Info

I was ticketed for speeding 55mph on a street with 35mph limit.
I'm thinking about contesting the ticket. First off, that was
a major street with 40mph signs everywhere. I'm hoping to get
an official doc. (presumably from gov.). But where should I do
the search?

Coming back to the ticket. 55mph is more like highway speed.
I'd honest know that if I was travelling that fast. Even if
I was a little above, that was close to midnight on a 3 lane street
with dry pavement (well lited) - that's street traffic was light and it
was safe. I spotted the police car turning
into the same street earlier. Then shortly after, he stopped me.
Could he possibly have enough time to pace my speed? Could he
have mixed his own acceleration (to catch up the distance) with
my speed?

This's my first ticket out of 10 years of driving. Any tips?
Thanks,
Raymond

Old December 28th 04, 06:55 PM
Harry K

Yeah, don't do 55 in urban settings, especially in 35 or even 40 mph
zones.

Harry K

Old December 28th 04, 06:55 PM
Harry K

Old December 28th 04, 07:06 PM

Harry, You missed my point completely! I didn't do it.

Old December 28th 04, 07:06 PM

Harry, You missed my point completely! I didn't do it.

Old December 29th 04, 12:52 AM
Max

a écrit :
> I was ticketed for speeding 55mph on a street with 35mph limit.
> I'm thinking about contesting the ticket. First off, that was
> a major street with 40mph signs everywhere. I'm hoping to get
> an official doc. (presumably from gov.). But where should I do
> the search?
>
> Coming back to the ticket. 55mph is more like highway speed.
> I'd honest know that if I was travelling that fast. Even if
> I was a little above, that was close to midnight on a 3 lane street
> with dry pavement (well lited) - that's street traffic was light and it
> was safe. I spotted the police car turning
> into the same street earlier. Then shortly after, he stopped me.
> Could he possibly have enough time to pace my speed? Could he
> have mixed his own acceleration (to catch up the distance) with
> my speed?
>
> This's my first ticket out of 10 years of driving. Any tips?
> Thanks,
> Raymond

First, take photos of the area you were stopped, the signage saying "40
mi/h" and the rest.

Hopefully ticket is dismissed on that, but most likely it becomes "55 in
a 40".

Now, were you travelling 55mi/h or more? Perhaps 45mi/h? It's pointless
unless you were travelling 40mi/h...

Was there any other traffic? At all? Any traffic travelling faster than
you, at perhaps 55mi/h?

Any signals from your radar detector?

I would think that a radar gun in a moving car takes the "fastest speed"
that it sees and reports it, so if he was going 55mi/h then it's
possible that he got his speed not yours. In this case, the officer is
either an idiot or a genuine disgrace to the badge IMO...

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old December 29th 04, 12:52 AM
Max

Old December 29th 04, 04:42 AM
Rob

go to www.motorists.com and read up. what you were doing is irrelevant,
the way to beat a ticket is to subpoena lots of evidence and put the cop
on the stand and ask him questions in an appropriate way so as to introduce
enough doubt in the judges mind to find you not guilty. this is an art and
while
the ticket isn't much $$, the insurance surcharges over the next many years
might cost you more than an attorney skilled in this art.

oups.com...

Old December 29th 04, 04:42 AM
Rob

go to www.motorists.com and read up. what you were doing is irrelevant,
the way to beat a ticket is to subpoena lots of evidence and put the cop
on the stand and ask him questions in an appropriate way so as to introduce
enough doubt in the judges mind to find you not guilty. this is an art and
while
the ticket isn't much $$, the insurance surcharges over the next many years
might cost you more than an attorney skilled in this art.

oups.com...

Old December 29th 04, 08:40 AM

Max wrote:

> Now, were you travelling 55mi/h or more? Perhaps 45mi/h? It's

pointless
> unless you were travelling 40mi/h...

I'm reading a handbook called "Fight Your Ticket in California". Yes,
I'm in California. According to the book, the law here is different
from
that in many other states. In California, it's still okay if I can
prove
that neither "my speed was greater than was reasonable or prudent", nor
"endangered the safety of persons or property". To be honest, I
wouldn't
know precisely that I'm always on or below 40mi/h, unless I was staring
at my speedometer the whole time. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't driving
at 55mi/h or anything close to that!

> Any signals from your radar detector?

As I'm not a (chronic or otherwise) speeder, I've no radar detector
in my car...