a6 ellectric window problem

Old January 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default a6 ellectric window problem

i am having problems with my passenger window sometimes it works ok and then
sometimes it only comes part way up and shoots back down. to get the window
fully up i have to do it gradually a couple of inches at a time but like i
say sometimes its ok.
i have took it back to the dealer twice now i checked it when i collected
the car seemed to be ok but an hour later it was playing up again the garage
said they have stripped it right down and put it back together i was
wondering if anyone as any ideas what this might be before i ring the
garage bak up on monday and get fobbed off
cheers
stef

Old January 13th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:10:38 -0000, "Stef" >
wrote:

>i am having problems with my passenger window sometimes it works ok and then
>sometimes it only comes part way up and shoots back down. to get the window
>fully up i have to do it gradually a couple of inches at a time but like i
>say sometimes its ok.
>i have took it back to the dealer twice now i checked it when i collected
>the car seemed to be ok but an hour later it was playing up again the garage
>said they have stripped it right down and put it back together i was
>wondering if anyone as any ideas what this might be before i ring the
>garage bak up on monday and get fobbed off
>cheers
>stef

Sure sounds like the window regulator is dying...
Old January 14th 06, 05:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Stef wrote:
> i am having problems with my passenger window sometimes it works ok and then
> sometimes it only comes part way up and shoots back down. to get the window
> fully up i have to do it gradually a couple of inches at a time but like i
> say sometimes its ok.
> i have took it back to the dealer twice now i checked it when i collected
> the car seemed to be ok but an hour later it was playing up again the garage
> said they have stripped it right down and put it back together i was
> wondering if anyone as any ideas what this might be before i ring the
> garage bak up on monday and get fobbed off
> cheers
> stef

Window Guide Replacement

Vehicle worked on: 1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int45.shtml (copy & paste in browser for
full details)

Disclaimer: This is a basic walkthrough of a repair I did. I am not a
licensed mechanic. You may perform this at your own risk. I am not
responsible for your mistakes and this is written as a reference guide
only.

Difficulty level: Not too difficult, only problems that should be
encountered are alignment issues when reinstalling. About as hard as
changing the spark plugs on the 30v V6.

Basic problem: Window operates slowly, wants to halt and go back down,
etc...

Fix: Replace plastic window guides, lube rails.

Cost: Approx $15.00, 1/2 hr work.

Part no.: 4B0-837-463-B

Tools: Phillips Screwdriver, Torx T15 and T45, allen wrench or small
screwdriver.

Procedu

Pass/rear doors, drivers not tackled yet.

1. I started with the window down.
2. Remove 2 screws that hold door panel in, one in front jamb, one in
rear.
3. Pop out the power window switch, there is a small hole in the
underside of the door handle that you can put a small screwdriver or
allen wrench in and pry from the front of the switch toward the rear of
the car and pull up.
4. Disconnect window switch.
5. Pull door panel up and off. not too tough.
6. Disconnect 3 wires near front of panel, 2 for speakers, third for ??
didn't trace them out.
7. Put the door panel in a safe place.
8. Disconnect power lock harness, power mirror, heated mirror, power
window harness. 9. Unclip the wiring from the door panel as much as
possible.
10. Mark the 4 T-45 bolts and shims. (one in each corner)
11. Remove 4 bolts holding in the inner frame. They may be slightly
different, if so make sure to note where each goes.
12. Pull straight up on the frame. the entire assembly comes out
including the mirror and upper window/door frame. Then pull it out of
the outer door skin.

13. Place the door frame so you can get to the back portion that is
hidden when installed.
14. Use a T-15 to remove the 2 screws that hold the window in place.
15. Unclamp the plastic window holders and wiggle them out. Now you
can pull your window down and out of the frame.
16. Finally you are ready to remove the components that are giving you
trouble.
I found it is easiest to have the window guides in the center of the
track, so hook up your switch and put it halfway up. Then rotate the
guide toward the outside of the track, then out.
17. Now flip it over and you will see how it attaches to the cable.
Disconnect this and it is out. Repeat for other guide.

18. Lube the track and cable with some grease. I prefer White Lithium,
it is waterproof and easy to clean up.

19. Install new guides by locking into cable then placing on outer edge
of track and rotating into place.

20. Put the window guides back to the bottom, and install the glass. I
put the glass in so it lined up as I took it out. Then put it all the
way to the top to make sure it went into its proper area.

21. You can now reinstall the inner frame, making sure to use the
proper bolts and shims. One has a larger washer on mine than the rest.
22. Reattach all wiring and test the window.
23. Reinstall door panel.

2003 Accord Radio Display Problem Mike Honda 41 July 13th 05 04:32 PM
Chrysler power window problem Ed Dodge 4 April 17th 05 07:36 AM
Dodge Caravan Window problem ChinaCat Dodge 14 October 3rd 04 10:53 PM
Alfa 164 Electric Window problem Emjay Alfa Romeo 2 July 13th 04 12:42 AM