Can anyone help ID this hood ornament?

Old July 28th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
M.J. Schuon

Default Can anyone help ID this hood ornament?

Anyone know what this hood ornament might be from?

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament2.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament1.jpg

Thanks,
Marshall
Old July 29th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

At first appearance it looks very much like the hood ornament from the
1951-52 Chrysler Imperial but on closer examination I'm not so sure. The
Imperial has the circle and the main element but the circle doesn't stand
proud and the side wings are missing. I think it's older than the fifties
in any case but I have no pictures on file of this specific mascot. Sorry.

Max

Old July 29th 07, 04:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
M.J. Schuon

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:31:13 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> wrote:

>At first appearance it looks very much like the hood ornament from the
>1951-52 Chrysler Imperial but on closer examination I'm not so sure. The
>Imperial has the circle and the main element but the circle doesn't stand
>proud and the side wings are missing. I think it's older than the fifties
>in any case but I have no pictures on file of this specific mascot. Sorry.
>
>Max
>
>"M.J. Schuon" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Anyone know what this hood ornament might be from?
>>
>> http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament2.jpg
>>
>> http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament1.jpg
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marshall

______

Thanks Max. I too thought it might be Chrysler -- maybe of Airflow
vintage. Tisn't, though. And can't find it any of my books.
Marshall
Old July 29th 07, 05:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Mike G.

1951-52 Chrysler Imperial

--
Advice when most needed is least heeded.

"MagisterMax" > wrote in message news:5lQqi.61789$tB5.47775@edtnps90...
> At first appearance it looks very much like the hood ornament from the
> 1951-52 Chrysler Imperial but on closer examination I'm not so sure. The
> Imperial has the circle and the main element but the circle doesn't stand
> proud and the side wings are missing. I think it's older than the fifties
> in any case but I have no pictures on file of this specific mascot. Sorry.
>
> Max
>
> "M.J. Schuon" > wrote in message
> > Anyone know what this hood ornament might be from?
> >
> > http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament2.jpg
> >
> > http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../ornament1.jpg
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marshall

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood ornament chrysler2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	83912
Old July 29th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Mike G.

Would you like a post of all my pictures of hood ornaments?
Mike

--
Advice when most needed is least heeded.

Old July 29th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
M.J. Schuon

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:31:09 -0500, "Mike G." >
wrote:

>Would you like a post of all my pictures of hood ornaments?
>Mike

_______

I would love to see them. And thanks so much for clearing up my
puzzle. I sure thought that ornament was older than early 50's.

Marshall
Old July 29th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

Hi Mike, I thought it was the Imperial too but have a look at the two and
you'll see considerable differences. On the one that Marshall posted the
circle top is not even with the rear portion of the mascot, unlike on the
Imperial. I had a look at all of my Imperial pictures and the mascot is
quite small and not exactly like the one in Marshall's picture. But I could
be wrong.

Max

m...

Old July 29th 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Mike G.

Well Max, looks the same to me.
I've put M. J. Schuon's two views into the ornament picture, cropped and enlarged it so you can see.

Mike

--

"MagisterMax" > wrote in message news:YI6ri.51367$Io4.21104@edtnps89...
> Hi Mike, I thought it was the Imperial too but have a look at the two and
> you'll see considerable differences. On the one that Marshall posted the
> circle top is not even with the rear portion of the mascot, unlike on the
> Imperial. I had a look at all of my Imperial pictures and the mascot is
> quite small and not exactly like the one in Marshall's picture. But I could
> be wrong.
>
> Max

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood ornament chrysler2 mod (Small).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	84129
Old July 30th 07, 09:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

You know, I saw the resemblance but didn't see the perspective correctly
until I looked at your composite picture. I don't have depth vision because
my left eye is weaker than the right one and its message is largely ignored
unless I close my right eye. (I could never see 3-D movies through those
coloured glasses that they used to issue in the movies, for the same
reason.) I was seeing the wing in the rear as a vertical element leading
back from the circle but now it's plain. I guess it really does depend on
whether one can see outside the box. Thanks for clearing this up.

Max

m...

Old July 30th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Mike G.

No problem Max.
But you know, I googled both 51s and 52s and never did see that hood ornament....hmmmmm
or at least close enough that I could make it out.
And my pictures of Imperials go from 50 to 53, miss the 51s and 52s altogether.
Nobody has posted any and I haven't been able to snag any off the web.

Mike

--
Advice when most needed is least heeded.