Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series

Old December 10th 04, 07:28 AM
Steve Grauman

>The ML is the worst piece of trash that Mercedes has ever sold (in America).

The interior quality of the ML was at least as good or better than the Acura
MDX and Lexus RX 330, neither of which are horrible by any degree. It was fit
well and looked good, although not as good as previous Mercedes.

>Check out a 1994 vintage W124 E-class or an even older W126 S-class.

My Grandfather owned a 1979 S-Class Diesel sedan and a 1991 560 SEC coupe that
he kept as "side" vehicles till just last year. Both were extremely well put
togethor, but the 1998 SL500 and 2004 E500 he has at the moment aren't bad
either. I'm waiting for a new Sl to replace the 98'.
Steve Grauman
Old December 11th 04, 02:28 PM
Saintor

If you can wait for the 2006 models, there will be a lot of fresh blood.
New 3-series, IS, revised A4, Passat. Did you consider the S40 T5 AWD?

"Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
> I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro

A4.

Old December 11th 04, 04:05 PM
Eza Gadson

>> The ML is the worst piece of trash that Mercedes has ever sold (in America).

> The interior quality of the ML was at least as good or better than the Acura
> MDX and Lexus RX 330, neither of which are horrible by any degree. It was fit
> well and looked good, although not as good as previous Mercedes.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one. I find both the
interior and exterior fit, finish, and feel of the ML to be appallingly
cheap and lacking in the "traditional" (but becoming less traditional with
each passing model) Mercedes quality. I have no experience with the Lexus
or the Acura, so I don't know if they are terrible as well.

>> Check out a 1994 vintage W124 E-class or an even older W126 S-class.

> My Grandfather owned a 1979 S-Class Diesel sedan and a 1991 560 SEC coupe that
> he kept as "side" vehicles till just last year. Both were extremely well put
> togethor, but the 1998 SL500 and 2004 E500 he has at the moment aren't bad
> either. I'm waiting for a new Sl to replace the 98'.
> Steve Grauman

The last body SL was the last well built MB IMHO, and it was magnificent.
While the new car is a far superior sports car, its build quality doesn't
match up. And as for the W211, I love the way it looks, and considered
replacing my wife's W124 wagon with one, until I spotted the consistently
inconsistent panel to light cluster gaps on every W211 I observed up close.
That's just plain unacceptable for cars this expensive. Look at what Audi's
doing these days. There's just no excuse for cheap plastics and big
inconsistent panel gaps in a "luxury" car. It's sad, but I think I know own
my last two MBs.

Old December 11th 04, 10:27 PM
LIW

"Eza Gadson" > wrote in message

> >> The ML is the worst piece of trash that Mercedes has ever sold (in

America).

> > The interior quality of the ML was at least as good or better than the

Acura
> > MDX and Lexus RX 330, neither of which are horrible by any degree. It

was fit
> > well and looked good, although not as good as previous Mercedes.
> >

> We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one. I find both the
> interior and exterior fit, finish, and feel of the ML to be appallingly
> cheap and lacking in the "traditional" (but becoming less traditional with
> each passing model) Mercedes quality. I have no experience with the Lexus
> or the Acura, so I don't know if they are terrible as well.
>

> >> Check out a 1994 vintage W124 E-class or an even older W126 S-class.

> > My Grandfather owned a 1979 S-Class Diesel sedan and a 1991 560 SEC

coupe that
> > he kept as "side" vehicles till just last year. Both were extremely well

put
> > togethor, but the 1998 SL500 and 2004 E500 he has at the moment aren't

bad
> > either. I'm waiting for a new Sl to replace the 98'.
> > Steve Grauman

> The last body SL was the last well built MB IMHO, and it was magnificent.
> While the new car is a far superior sports car, its build quality doesn't
> match up. And as for the W211, I love the way it looks, and considered
> replacing my wife's W124 wagon with one, until I spotted the consistently
> inconsistent panel to light cluster gaps on every W211 I observed up

close.
> That's just plain unacceptable for cars this expensive. Look at what

Audi's
> doing these days. There's just no excuse for cheap plastics and big
> inconsistent panel gaps in a "luxury" car. It's sad, but I think I know

own
> my last two MBs.

You may be joining an expanding group. My recently purchased 02 Audi S8 is
a far better car than my W140 S Class Mercedes was (1999).

Old December 12th 04, 04:42 AM
Chas

"Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
>I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro A4.
>
> Thoughts, opinions and facts are appreciated.
>
> H Castorp

To be honest, I know nothing about BMW, but would warn you off the A4 based
solely on my experience of Audi's customer service. Audi's are great, until
they break - then you are truely ***ed. I'd had mine 3 weeks, had a problem
and was made to feel like a piece of **** when taking it back. Dealer would
not even acknowledge the fault and 'threatened' that I'd need to see the
area Audi rep before they would consider addressing the fault.

Note I'm still an Audi owner, but only for another week or so (a year was
long enough). Go figure - and IMHO go elsewhere.

I'm not trolling. My A4 is the best vehicle I've ever had period; ****ing
fantasic car. My local service is the worst I've ever had and it's a bad
combination and that's why I'm off. I've also read about superb Audi
customer service, so perhaps you need to flag down some local Audi drivers.

Old December 12th 04, 10:40 PM
Wayne Crannell

In article >,
"Chas" > wrote:

> I'm not trolling. My A4 is the best vehicle I've ever had period; ****ing
> fantasic car. My local service is the worst I've ever had and it's a bad
> combination and that's why I'm off. I've also read about superb Audi
> customer service, so perhaps you need to flag down some local Audi drivers.

You're right. A truly great car when it is working and when you are not
selling a kidney to pay for whatever ticky-tack thing broke this week.

Our two Audis become zero Audis next summer.

--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX
Old December 13th 04, 05:42 AM
Dan J.S.

Cam Newton wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:50:42 -0500, Mike Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Dan J.S. wrote:

>>> Both unreliable. Get a Lexus IS.

>> Too bad it's so ugly.

> The IS 300 is too small, no ski sack, flip/fold down seats, FWD...
> shall I go on? Get the Corolla XRS for 1/2 the price if you are stuck
> on a small car.

The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...

Old December 13th 04, 10:12 PM
Cam Newton

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:42:03 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:

>Cam Newton wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:50:42 -0500, Mike Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Too bad it's so ugly.

>> The IS 300 is too small, no ski sack, flip/fold down seats, FWD...
>> shall I go on? Get the Corolla XRS for 1/2 the price if you are stuck
>> on a small car.

>The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...

I am thinking too much weight for the frame with a new AWD system.
Everybody is onto AWD but Audi was there first.

Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.
Old December 13th 04, 11:19 PM
Dan J.S.

"Cam Newton" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:42:03 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:
>
>>Cam Newton wrote:
>>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:50:42 -0500, Mike Smith

>>> The IS 300 is too small, no ski sack, flip/fold down seats, FWD...
>>> shall I go on? Get the Corolla XRS for 1/2 the price if you are stuck
>>> on a small car.

>>The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...
>>

> I am thinking too much weight for the frame with a new AWD system.
> Everybody is onto AWD but Audi was there first.
>
> Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.

Mazda has problems with the rotary engines... Volvo, I guess, but that has
an old man image, like a Cadillac...

Old December 14th 04, 12:29 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:19:49 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:

>"Cam Newton" > wrote in message

>>>The IS is rear wheel drive... and the new one will be AWD...
>>>

>> I am thinking too much weight for the frame with a new AWD system.
>> Everybody is onto AWD but Audi was there first.
>>
>> Why not an Volvo S40? Or save loadsadough and go with the Mazda 3.

>Mazda has problems with the rotary engines...

And this is important wrt the Mazda 3....why, exactly?

>Volvo, I guess, but that has an old man image, like a Cadillac...

What planet have you been living on?

Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 09:39 PM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM